Gibson Brands Forums

Can you help me find this Les Paul?

ant7629

Hi all

I am trying to lay my hands on a Les Paul Standard that has a black top but left natural on back and sides and neck. I'm pretty sure they exist, maybe a special run.

They kind of look like a Gretsch jet... Great guitars, but I just can't get along with them.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I almost bought one, late 90's. It was a 58 knockoff I believe, it would be what they today call, gah I hate this, R8. It was a Sam Ash guitar, I don't know how few or many there were. At that time it was 1800 dollars or so, I almost went for it but did not. It was just a beautifully made example of Les Paul the one I played a lot. That would have been in Cheery Hill NJ.

I remember there being mention of an actual late 50's Les Paul that was black on top and natural back and neck in one of the many books, but I don't remember which one.

So your search could be for something like Sam Ash 58 Black Top, something like that it was called.

I hope you find one. It was an excellent Les Paul. If I didn't have the one I have now I'd prolly join you trying to find it.

rct

EDIT: Heres an old thread about them guitars. Seems a buncha people like them things!

MyLesPaul Forum 58 Black Top thread

There may be others but the only one that comes too mind is the Lou Pallo one.Ist not a Standard but I think looks really smart (and has the most awesome pickup combo ever (IMO) :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Lou-Pallo-Signature-Les-Paul.aspx

Splash-02-7.jpg

thats an awesome combo.. black top and natural back, bridge HB and a P90 neck...SEXY

Archived