Gibson Brands Forums

This normal?

Teer

Was playing my 75th anniversary AJ, great tone and playability btw. I noticed that the bass side of the bridge is higher than the treble side. Should I be concerned about this? Is there a reason for this? Is this normal for an AJ?

I read a post similar about this before but I could not locate it in the search format.

Any ideas?

Teer

Was playing my 75th anniversary AJ, great tone and playability btw. I noticed that the bass side of the bridge is higher than the treble side. Should I be concerned about this? Is there a reason for this? Is this normal for an AJ?

I read a post similar about this before but I could not locate it in the search format.

Any ideas?

Teer

If you mean the saddle ..yes.

Thicker looser string makes more of an arc when plucking..if you mean the actual wood bridge..unless its lifting off the top I dont think its anything concerning,

Even on my 30's L00 the bridge is built that way. I just spent the last couple of hours shaping a bone blank to miiror the original plastoid saddle. I even copied the bevel for the strings to lay over, but I actually left a little more meat on to get more noise out of the top. Slightly higher action is the result, but I restrung it with the Dunlop 80/20 11's that I took off it. They were a couple months old but I was curious to listen for any difference. Old strings sound bright and new. Don't know about pins or nuts, but the saddle swap truly jacked up the tone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360545737867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Anyone looking for a nice price on a new Fender Blues Jr., here's my listing in it's last few hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281051127337?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks for all the replies.

All of my other acoustics have the same height of bridge on both sides.

Is there an advantage to one side being higher? Lower action maybe?

Is this the norm for AJ's

Curious.

T

Thanks for all the replies.

All of my other acoustics have the same height of bridge on both sides.

Is there an advantage to one side being higher? Lower action maybe?

One advantage is that the tapered-height bridge maintains a fairly constant break angle of the strings over the saddle. As a comparison, sight the string break angle from the side on your guitars with constant-height bridges, and compare it to the same view on your guitar with a tapered bridge.

Don't know if this is why they did it or not, but the effect is there.

Archived