Gibson Brands Forums

Music VIlla Review

JuanCarlosVejar

Have mercy! That thing sounds fabulous. Does it really sound that good or is that some trick recording? He said no EQ, no nothing. Dang, it may be my ears tonight but that guitar sounds amazing.

And I prefer sunburst, like a J45. Is there anything similar with sunburst? I am not up on all the Gibson models.

Have mercy! That thing sounds fabulous. Does it really sound that good or is that some trick recording? He said no EQ, no nothing. Dang, it may be my ears tonight but that guitar sounds amazing.

And I prefer sunburst, like a J45. Is there anything similar with sunburst? I am not up on all the Gibson models.

Ya you can get a hog aj In a burst

For me the plain slopes, with the fire stripe pick guard, are the nicest looking Guitars. I like them much better than the bursts.

So is it only scale length that separates the J-45 from the AJ?

The scale length, back and side composition (usually), top bracing (usually), and back bracing separate the AJ from a J-45, as do the fret board inlays, and usually the style of bridge.

And pickguard...

The AJ is long-scale, has forward-shifted wide X-bracing, heavy back bracing, an asymetrical bridge, rose-wood back and sides, arrow fretboard inlays and neck binding. The pickguard follows the contours of the body.

The J-45 is short-scale, has mahogany back and sides, narrower x bracing set further from the soundhole, lighter back bracing, a belly bridge, no neck binding, dot inlays, and a teardrop pickguard.

Variants of all of the above abound!

Other than the guitar in the video, the Fuller's J-35 is the closest thing to a short-scale, mahogany AJ: it has the AJ's top and back bracing, non-belly asymmetrical bridge, and pickguard. No arrow inlays or neck binding, though.

The True Vintage J-45 has the AJ's top bracing, but different back bracing. It's short scale and mahogany, and has a belly bridge. No arrow inlays or neck binding. Teardrop pickguard.

The True Vintage Southern Jumbo also has the AJ's top bracing, but yet a different back bracing pattern from the True Vintage J-45. It's short scale and mahogany. Split parallelogram inlays, neck binding, and belly bridge. Batwing pickguard. [We could go down a rabbit hole of SJ variants, so I'll stop with this one.]

The J-45 Standard has different top and back bracing from the True Vintage J-45. Other specs are similar. An Epiphone Texan is pretty close to a long-scale version of this guitar, with single parellelogram inlays.

The J-45 Custom is braced the same as the J-45 Standard, but has rosewood back and sides. Other specs are similar, but it's fancier cosmetically.

Gibson has also built some short-scale AJ's with maple and rosewood back and sides, in addition to mahogany as seen in the video.

Whew. I'm exhausted.

And we didn't even talk about tuners or tops!

And, of course, I'm only talking about how they make 'em today.

Red 333

Thanks Red, I'll have to pay more attention to the innards next time I change strings, especially as regards the differences in the J45 TV and the SJ back bracing. My SJ sounds so much wildly different than the J45, and this helps explain a piece of it.

Archived