Gibson Brands Forums

cali guitar case .. want one , but not THAT badly

blindboygrunt

was watching an item on ebay , a lovely cali girl case for a j45 size .... sold for £208.97 !

gibson really out to look into these , theres nothing really wrong with the standard black case but i know i'd love a brown one or one of those lovely tweed ones .

Really? I got a guitar with mine for not much more :).

I was able to keep the tan/pink case when I sold my J-45TV. The buyer prefered the standard black case that I also had available when I let him pick. The tan case is great but VERY heavy. I have it for my old J-45 now. I would much rather have the Legend J-45 case. So if anyone would like to trade...

Lars

I was able to keep the tan/pink case when I sold my J-45TV. The buyer prefered the standard black case that I also had available when I let him pick. The tan case is great but VERY heavy. I have it for my old J-45 now. I would much rather have the Legend J-45 case. So if anyone would like to trade...

Lars

is it not the same as the standard black case but with purple instead of blue inside ?

and what makes the brown ones so heavy ?

If I'm not mistaken, the Legend case is sturdier than the standard and the hardware is more vintage looking. I like the purple interior.

I don't know exactly what makes the TV-case so heavy, but I guess it is the number of layers and the type of plywood used.

Lars

If I'm not mistaken, the Legend case is sturdier than the standard and the hardware is more vintage looking. I like the purple interior.

I don't know exactly what makes the TV-case so heavy, but I guess it is the number of layers and the type of plywood used.

Lars

I'm not sure if the J-45 Legend comes in the same style case as the L-OO Legend, but if it does, it's a very nice replica of the vintage redline cases used for some higher-end Gibsons in the late 30's through the 40's. I've only seen one of these originals in the flesh, and it was housing a 1947 L-7.

My Legend case has an arch top and arch back, has the purple flannel lining (not cat fur like the regular Gibson acoustic cases), a leather handle, and vintage-style hardware. And, of course, it has the narrow red line around the sides of the top that gives the case its nickname. It also has one removable neck rest and one fixed neck rest, which is a bit of a curiousity.

It is also very heavy, which I attribute to a thicker five-ply shell, rather than the more typical three-ply shell.

Jeremy Morton from Gibson verified that these are built by TKL, but the construction details are to a higher spec than the standard cases. I have similar non-Gibson TKL cases for other guitars, but none has the arch back, which is a characcteristic of TKL's "Professional" line of cases.

I also have a repro Cali Girl J-45 case (built by G&G in LA for Norman's Rare Guitars). These are probably closer in spec to the originals than the modern Gibson Cali Girl style cases that come with some guitars, since it has details such as the hard leather handle (rather than padded leather)and brass-plated (rather than chrome) latches. Like the redline-style case, it is very heavy--about 50% heavier than the two standard-issue Gibson slope-J cases I have with the cheesy plastic handles and the cat fur lining.

On the plus side, every one of my modern Gibson cases fits like a glove, unlike many vintage cases, which were designed to accommodate a variety of instruments adequately, and as a result, fit few perfectly.

I confess to being a bit of a case geek as well as a guitar geek......

I was able to keep the tan/pink case when I sold my J-45TV. The buyer prefered the standard black case that I also had available when I let him pick. The tan case is great but VERY heavy.

Yeah I have the tan/pink job for my SJ-200TV too, it weighs a ton... far heavier than the black standard case. It's kinda cool, but it does draw the "What's with the pink, my man?" type comments and it does add a helluva weight to it, you'd have one big long arm like the Mick Hucknall character from Bo Selecta if you were carrying it too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoBPkJGd3g0

Heavey suckers..nice to look at, espicially with that inside arch for the back of the guitar. Snug fitting is nice too. Don't like how the back strap binder folds in and sits on the high end strings on the neck. For that kind of coin I would feel safer with a higher end hiscox when out on the road though..

I'm not sure if the J-45 Legend comes in the same style case as the L-OO Legend, but if it does, it's a very nice replica of the vintage redline cases used for some higher-end Gibsons in the late 30's through the 40's. I've only seen one of these originals in the flesh, and it was housing a 1947 L-7.

Asking prices on those original red line cases is downright scary. One in really nice shape can set you back $1200. Even beat to heck ones can still fetch in the $600 - $700 range.

Asking prices on those original red line cases is downright scary. One in really nice shape can set you back $1200. Even beat to heck ones can still fetch in the $600 - $700 range.

I can say that the repro redline case by TKL is the best case I own, and I've got some really good ones.

It is not intended as a flight case, and should not be used as one. It's too nice for that, would be no match for a freight elevator door.

I just wish you could buy these cases, either from TKL or Gibson.

Fuller's in Texas quoted me $600 for a J-45 Legend case last year (and $450 for a TV case). At the time, I needed a case for my old Banner J-45. I order the Legend case but ended up canceling the order after about two months when I couldn't wait any longer. I ended up getting a standard J-45 case for about $150 which later sold with my J-45TV and the Banner now rests in the tan/pink TV case. I would still like to get the Legend case, but no longer feel it is worth $600 plus shipping and taxes to Sweden...

Lars

By the way, both the Legend and TV cases can be ordered from Cedar Creek as customs. They make them for Gibson. The prices are somewhat higher than Fuller's but not a whole lot, if I remember correctly.

By the way, both the Legend and TV cases can be ordered from Cedar Creek as customs. They make them for Gibson. The prices are somewhat higher than Fuller's but not a whole lot, if I remember correctly.

As I understand it from my dealings with them, Cedar Creek is the TKL "custom shop". I spec'd a custom ES 335 case to accommodate the long headstock of my ES 335-12 from them, and the price was rational for custom work. Ended up getting an Epiphone standard ES 335 case from GC that fit perfectly for about $150, as the Epi has a longer headstock than the Gibson. I did have to air out the Epi case for a week, as the liner must have been glued in with some strange Chinese glue made from God knows what.

The stock J-45 case with the black exterior and blue cat fur is functional and fits perfectly, but it lacks the class that a good guitar really deserves. At the same time, it's hard to justify spending another $450 on an upgraded case for a $2k guitar.

I switched out the plastic handle on the standard case for a black leather moon style handle I found on e-bay. It fit the existing brackets perfectly. It is a cheap upgrade I can recommend.

see here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Instrument-Case-Handle-Fine-Leather-MOON-style-for-USA-brands-Lifton-/251184053958?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a7bbc7ec6

Lars

I switched out the plastic handle on the standard case for a black leather moon style handle I found on e-bay. It fit the existing brackets perfectly. It is a cheap upgrade I can recommend.

see here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Instrument-Case-Handle-Fine-Leather-MOON-style-for-USA-brands-Lifton-/251184053958?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a7bbc7ec6

Lars

Lars,

What did you do about the axle pins? Did you buy his push-in style pins, or what?

Yes I got his axles too. I sawed the original axels off, then put the new handle in with the new axles, and finally I pressed the ends of the axles with a pair of pliers to keep the handle from sliping out. Worked like a charm!

If you look at the original axles you can see that the ends are neatly pressed to make them wider than the bracket holes. There is a tool for making the pressing easier and neater looking, but a pair of pliers works well enough.

Lars

Archived