Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony / Richlite fretboard ?

KlapHat

If you look closely at the fret board look for pores in the wood. You may need to reflect a light off the board. Ebony is a very tight and dense wood and there will be only a few visable pores. Richlite on the other hand will have absolutely no visable pores at all, and it's surface will be very smooth.

I believe that Gibson began using Richlite on the their customs very late in 2011.

If you're concerned about richlite, don't be. It's an awesome fretboard!

The LP Custom Classics in 2011 and 2012 got baked maple boards. I don't know if they offered Richlite on any customs ever. But if they did, after having Richlite on my most played Midtown custom for over a year now, It is my favorite. Never have I had to clean it, it shows absolutely no wear or marks of any kind, has very little friction, and is sonically equivalent to ebony (at least to my ear). It seems to be the perfect fretboard material.

Thanks guys..

I'm not going to pretend that I can hear or feel the difference between ebony or richlite, and the guitar plays really well.

:-)

But I do like the thought of real ebony, and not some paper/plastic kind of material.

(The model I'm talking about)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

But yeah maybe I should just ask Gibson customer service. ;-)

• 8 months later...

If you're interested in the reason behind the change from ebony, this might have something to do with it. Well worth the time to watch it:

So then, I must ask as I would gladly accept a multicolored, perhaps striped, ebony fretboard on a Les Paul Custom. I am compelled to ask why Gibson cannot reintroduce ebony on its guitars? What, in the economics and the arguments for or against, is preventing Gibson from using different gradations of ebony?

My response was a bit flip, I have to admit. I obviously don't know the answer. Maybe it is as simple as Gibson wanting to go a step further than Taylor.

Taylor says, "Accept broader grades of ebony." Gibson says, "Why does it have to be ebony?"

FWIW, I have a new Yamaha acoustic that has a streaky ebony fingerboard. I *like* the way it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys..

I'm not going to pretend that I can hear or feel the difference between ebony or richlite, and the guitar plays really well.

:-)

But I do like the thought of real ebony, and not some paper/plastic kind of material.

(The model I'm talking about)

http://www2.gibson.c...aul-Custom.aspx

But yeah maybe I should just ask Gibson customer service. ;-)

Now that you have your answer, let me tell you this... My Les Paul Supreme and Midtown custom have richlite and I have absolutely no problem with it.

A signmaker on another site a way back said he makes premium priced outdoor signs from richlite and out in the sun, rain, and snow the signage looks like new after many years. Add to that if a countertop made of richlite can stand up to the harsh treatment people give counter tops I think richlite was a good choice by Gibson... we'll see in 50 years :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived