Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson "craftsmanship"

gnappi

This weekend I bought a Midtown Standard and I wanted to lower the bridge P90 because it was really high, but the phillips screwdriver was spinning on the head of one of the screws.

The screw head had a hole in it without the X. Sheesh, no wonder it was high, some moron at Gibson HAD to turn it partially down by hand. BY HAND???

Rather than pick up a good screw the idiot turned it in a few turns by HAND!!! THAT is THE WORST example of the state of Gibson on the planet.

I have a bunch of Gibsons, many bought new and I do not expect perfection, it's not hand or custom made but the freakin screw was too much trouble to replace?

Recently I bought a LP Supreme and it had wood chips in the case! I've had it... never again will I buy a new Gibson.

This weekend I bought a Midtown Standard and I wanted to lower the bridge P90 because it was really high, but the phillips screwdriver was spinning on the head of one of the screws.

The screw head had a hole in it without the X. Sheesh, no wonder it was high, some moron at Gibson HAD to turn it partially down by hand. BY HAND???

Rather than pick up a good screw the idiot turned it in a few turns by HAND!!! THAT is THE WORST example of the state of Gibson on the planet.

I have a bunch of Gibsons, many bought new and I do not expect perfection, it's not hand or custom made but the freakin screw was too much trouble to replace?

Recently I bought a LP Supreme and it had wood chips in the case! I've had it... never again will I buy a new Gibson.

I'm surprised that there isn't better QC on something like that. I can actually see someone missing the screw head, but not the pickup height. Seems like that would be a necessary item for a last QC before sign off for shipping, and if the height were out of spec, a closer inspection would show the problem with the screw. FWIW, I have two P90 Midtowns that came with great finishes/setups.

My Midtown Standard, the Bigsby / 57 Classic version, does not have a ground wire from the bridge to the tone pot. And it has a bzzzz that only stops when I touch the input jack or the pickup covers. This can be fixed, but why should I have to? Are other Midtowns the same?

Other minor complaints... the fretboard binding could use a little filing, and there's some minor blotchiness in the faded red over maple finish. Nothing terrible though.

On the positive side, it's a great guitar that just needs a little TLC.

If the operator didn't bother tossing that screw and replacing it with a proper screw, that's not a QC problem, that's a hiring, training and supervisory problem. End line inspection doesn't correct problems like, it contains them. Quality should be built in, not inspected in.

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems with Gibsons. I have a '99 2 pup B7 with NO wood chips I'll trade you even for the Supreme. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

"I can actually see someone missing the screw head"

You CANNOT miss a screw head that has no place for the screw driver to go unless you're blind AND have clubs for hands... Hey! maybe THAT explains it!!

No, the freakin MORON who put that pup in ther HAD to use their fingers to turn it down a few turns. Clearly it took more time to do that than it took to grab another screw.

Rock on Heritage! Gibson you're lost and have no clue!

The head screw probably stripped while screwing it on with a tool when the screw found more resistance than usual or the employee did not apply enough pressure.

You think they grabbed a screw that was already stripped and tried to make it work by hand? is that what you are saying?

If the operator didn't bother tossing that screw and replacing it with a proper screw, that's not a QC problem, that's a hiring, training and supervisory problem. End line inspection doesn't correct problems like, it contains them. Quality should be built in, not inspected in.

Yes and no. First vendor selection is VERY important. DEMANDING zero defects from suppliers is a start. Motivating workers to do the right thing at assembly time is number two, QC should NOT have to inspect 100% of a product and they do not on a mature line BUT on a new production product they SHOULD.

Mil HDBK 217 inspection procedures were designed to fix assembly line problems, something Gibson has no clue about. I will append your statement a bit if I may... Quality MUST be DESIGNED in, AND built to design.

Guest EastEnder

Rock on Heritage! Gibson you're lost and have no clue!

Just had to chime in on this one...

I've had three Heritages (H-535) and not one of them had the quality that some suggest. I, too, was looking for a Gibson alternative because of the company's lax assembly/QC issues. If you're willing to fork over the cash, I've held and played a Collings I-35 and felt that I was in the presence of greatness. Granted, the price is high for many, but for a guitar that you intend to keep, I imagine it's money well spent in the long run.

My last ES-335 came complete with a case full (and guitar full) of dried polishing compound. An L6S that I bought (and returned) had a fingerboard separating from the neck and fret sprout that was so great (and lethal) that it couldn't possibly have been the result of wood shrinkage. Other guitars have had maxed out truss rods, finish irregularities and any number of other issues that point to (perhaps) a lack of pride in workmanship.

It's hard to say goodbye to Gibson. If you get a good one you have a guitar for life. But 50 years after my first Gibson (ES-345 - a gem), It's depressing to hear yet another of these stories.

What I've got now brings satisfaction, but the next time I'm gassing for a guitar I'll go where the quality is. We all know where it isn't.

EE

I've gotten a few Gibsons in the last 18 months. A few needed a little work to make them excellent but the overall quality is very good in my opinion. I assume that no guitar will be completely perfect I will need a few adjustments to make it really work for me.

I just purchased a Flying V from a very reputatble Gibson dealer on the internet...99 % is an excellent job, but I cannot beleive the area were the neck is attached to the body. It looks like someone did a very poor bondo job on both sides of the neck? has anyone else run across this? Can't find a Flying V at the stores to compare...think I will take some pictures and forward them to Gibson. I have a 1980 Explorer 2 in walnut an it is awesome...the V looks like it was made in China. Comments appreciated.

Terry [thumbdn]

The head screw probably stripped while screwing it on with a tool when the screw found more resistance than usual or the employee did not apply enough pressure.

You think they grabbed a screw that was already stripped and tried to make it work by hand? is that what you are saying?

YES, the screw was NOT damaged, it was made imperfect, and installed by an imperfect nitwit with only enough turns to keep the screw from falling out

Guest Farnsbarns

You can't adjust the height of a p90 AFAIK. They're just screwed down. The screws are nickel silver I believe, very soft!

I'd be interested to see a picture of it.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't adjust the height of a p90 AFAIK. They're just screwed down. The screws are nickel silver I believe, very soft!

Not true. Both pickups are height adjustable on either side by the two mounting screws. The mounting screws have springs to apply pressure at different heights. At least on my two Gibson Midtowns that I own now and the Gibson LP that I used to have.

1363362174[/url]' post='1345806']

That might apply to the dog ear variety but not to the soap bar style.

different thicknesses of foam padding (w/screwholes of course) have worked nicely for me on soapbars....don't own a dogear (YET) but i'm not sure if I want something I couldn't adjust.

Archived