Gibson Brands Forums

Real or fake?

Dreamert

Apparently the chinese gibsons are coming with inspection papers now. I did buy a 59 copy chinese gibson for $200, for a beater for the basement, it was pretty good for the price. I have since sold it, to someone who really loved it. I will stick with my CC.

Apparently the chinese gibsons are coming with inspection papers now. I did buy a 59 copy chinese gibson for $200, for a beater for the basement, it was pretty good for the price. I have since sold it, to someone who really loved it. I will stick with my CC.

That's true, I have seen counterfiet papars with copies/forgeries.

However, you might be a little more clear here, because this could be taken as you saying you think it's fake.

I would say, also, the paperwork looks authentic here, and not a forgery. But besides that, judging the guitar on it's own, it's genuine.

EDIT: note the lefty case! That's a nice touch.

EDIT EDIT: notice what an idiot I am for thinking it's a "lefty" case because it seems to open on the 'correct' side as it should.

I might be wrong and I don't have one to hand in order to check but aren't cases shaped to accept both right- and left-hookers? I'm pretty sure mine are the same as that one...

The Les Paul peghead script and Standard on the TRC are both correctly oriented, though.

P.

That's true, I have seen counterfiet papars with copies/forgeries.

However, you might be a little more clear here, because this could be taken as you saying you think it's fake.

I would say, also, the paperwork looks authentic here, and not a forgery. But besides that, judging the guitar on it's own, it's genuine.

The case is symetric isn't it ?....... or maybe the handle and metallic studs/feet go on the opposite side....I wonder...

I might be wrong and I don't have one to hand in order to check but aren't cases shaped to accept both right- and left-hookers? I'm pretty sure mine are the same as that one...

The Les Paul peghead script and Standard on the TRC are both correctly oriented, though.

P.

LOL..that's funny.

I don't know WHY I thought that was a "lefty" case...I just simply noticed it seems to open on the proper side (latches and lock) and assumed it was a lefty case because it had a lefty guitar in it, and didn't open backwards.

So silly, that I didn't rather notice that what I was ACTUALLY noticing is that it opens up the way all mine do.

Anyway, I was referring to the way it opens. DUH!

Is a lefty case like a lefty screwdriver?

I am actually going to clean my garage/shop right now today as we speak.

And I think perhaps I should separate the left handed screwdrivers/hammers/tape measures and such from the right handed ones.

Ha!

This has been the best 'fake' thread in a while.

Now I'm going to sort my lefty picks from my righty picks. . . [lol]

I thought I had lost one of my favorite right-handed picks until I realized I had just set it down upside-down thinking it was a left-handed one.

Hi folks,

I need your help to see through this... look at the headstock and the truss rod cover in specific....looks funky to me, what do you think of this guitar ?

The SN seems legit for a centenial but dunno, not 100% certain :s

Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261166810458?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

"A few things the Chinese are having problems with is the Gibson Logo and the Les Paul Silkscreens. Look at the FONTS and the Logo Design. The Chinese are selling the Silkscreen copies of the Logo and Les Paul decals. They are different in design. It used to be easy when they had the 3 screw truss rod covers but now they got smarter with the the 2 screw covers.. but on a Chinese Fakes you open the truss rod cover and you get black electrical tape covering the inside of the cover and the rod itself is cheap alloy with a iregular allen wrench adjustment. Another is the inside of the back electronics.. the Chinese use the worst possible and cheapest wiring with bad soldering and they paint the interior of the cavity black. On the paperwork, yes they even have blank Gibson Spec sheets but you can check with Gibson Sales/Service to whom actually signed off the sheet. I really don't understand why somebody would pay 300.00 for a Fake LP. And if you try to sell it as a Gibson and get busted you face Felony Charges in the USA. Remember, Gibson wants to know if you think you got a fake or even want to check before you purchase. It will help them lead further investigations into the Chinese fakes and hopefully shut down this process forever. The biggest problem is that the Chinese are protected and sell their Guitars to Distributors claiming that they are only made and sold in China or sent as "Gifts". Its the Distributors in Seattle, San Francisco and LA that end up sending you the guitars with fake address's and post marks of where they came from. You are accepting counterfeit materials and Federal Law is supposed to enforce this. But they don't and millions of these China made LP's get into the hands of the unsuspecting and its your loss for sure. On e-bay, if you think a Vender-Store or Private seller is selling a Fake, then you contact e-bay. They will investigate just as good as we can investigate. Its a sad story all around, Counterfeiting LP's is bad and getting worse and when the manufacturer hands are tied, then what the hell do we do? Gibson is in the same boat as lets say Rolex Watches. China has made an entire industry of selling fakes, its part of their culture and The Federal Trade Commission (USA) fails to stop it. So its up to us folks to inform others.

JV -Sights & Sounds Films

"A few things the Chinese are having problems with is the Gibson Logo and the Les Paul Silkscreens. Look at the FONTS and the Logo Design. The Chinese are selling the Silkscreen copies of the Logo and Les Paul decals. They are different in design. It used to be easy when they had the 3 screw truss rod covers but now they got smarter with the the 2 screw covers.. but on a Chinese Fakes you open the truss rod cover and you get black electrical tape covering the inside of the cover and the rod itself is cheap alloy with a iregular allen wrench adjustment. Another is the inside of the back electronics.. the Chinese use the worst possible and cheapest wiring with bad soldering and they paint the interior of the cavity black. On the paperwork, yes they even have blank Gibson Spec sheets but you can check with Gibson Sales/Service to whom actually signed off the sheet. I really don't understand why somebody would pay 300.00 for a Fake LP. And if you try to sell it as a Gibson and get busted you face Felony Charges in the USA. Remember, Gibson wants to know if you think you got a fake or even want to check before you purchase. It will help them lead further investigations into the Chinese fakes and hopefully shut down this process forever. The biggest problem is that the Chinese are protected and sell their Guitars to Distributors claiming that they are only made and sold in China or sent as "Gifts". Its the Distributors in Seattle, San Francisco and LA that end up sending you the guitars with fake address's and post marks of where they came from. You are accepting counterfeit materials and Federal Law is supposed to enforce this. But they don't and millions of these China made LP's get into the hands of the unsuspecting and its your loss for sure. On e-bay, if you think a Vender-Store or Private seller is selling a Fake, then you contact e-bay. They will investigate just as good as we can investigate. Its a sad story all around, Counterfeiting LP's is bad and getting worse and when the manufacturer hands are tied, then what the hell do we do? Gibson is in the same boat as lets say Rolex Watches. China has made an entire industry of selling fakes, its part of their culture and The Federal Trade Commission (USA) fails to stop it. So its up to us folks to inform others.

JV -Sights & Sounds Films

[lease take the time to look at the guitar or read the thread, you would know this guitar is more than likely genuine.

The pics are of a genuine Gibson, and the seller also has more lefties for sale.

It's good info, but easy to be taken wrong in the context (as I have...we all can make mistakes).

That's all fine and everything, but if you take the time to look at the guitar or read the thread, you would know this guitar is more than likely genuine.

The pics are of a genuine Gibson, and the seller also has more lefties for sale.

Stein don't be rude, I appreciate every bit of info as I'm new into this fake/genuine investigation thing as it's my first time seriously looking into buying such a guitar.

If I look at the 12-15 previous posts, this one is the most relevant one since the 2-3 first replies so..... keep it friendly :)

No offense meant to anybody, just sayin' I appreciate your input greatly.

Unfortunately, I won the auction with 1825$ winning bid but didn't meet the reserve price. The seller wanted 2700-3000$ for this guitar..makes no sense to me but I guess he'll find someone down the road who's willing to pay that amount. That makes me want to cry, this one looked perfect in every way to what I'm looking for (after a pickguard replacement of course).... I was overjoyed at 1825 :( Life sucks sometimes....

Stein don't be rude, I appreciate every bit of info as I'm new into this fake/genuine investigation thing as it's my first time seriously looking into buying such a guitar.

If I look at the 12-15 previous posts, this one is the most relevant one since the 2-3 first replies so..... keep it friendly :)

No offense meant to anybody, just sayin' I appreciate your input greatly.

Unfortunately, I won the auction with 1825$ winning bid but didn't meet the reserve price. The seller wanted 2700-3000$ for this guitar..makes no sense to me but I guess he'll find someone down the road who's willing to pay that amount. That makes me want to cry, this one looked perfect in every way to what I'm looking for (after a pickguard replacement of course).... I was overjoyed at 1825 :( Life sucks sometimes....

Fixed.

That's too bad. I think $1,825 for that is a good price for both, more than fair. I think for 2,700 that would buy a new one, if not real close.

Maybe if you can contact him, he may be willing to sell?

I don't actually know, but last I knew a '94 weren't going for more than any other years, and that's the only thing I can think of why he would have it priced that high.

Fixed.

That's too bad. I think $1,825 for that is a good price for both, more than fair. I think for 2,700 that would buy a new one, if not real close.

Maybe if you can contact him, he may be willing to sell?

I don't actually know, but last I knew a '94 weren't going for more than any other years, and that's the only thing I can think of why he would have it priced that high.

Yeah we're thinking alikehere,aside from the centenial 1994 serial number format I don't see anyhting diffrent.....and doesn't even have the burstbuckers in it, bummer.

I contactedhim in private and offered him 2grand, no return else than he'll probaby relist it. Maybe he'll come to understand the value once it auctions for about the same price twice......we'll see.

Yeah we're thinking alikehere,aside from the centenial 1994 serial number format I don't see anyhting diffrent.....and doesn't even have the burstbuckers in it, bummer.

I contactedhim in private and offered him 2grand, no return else than he'll probaby relist it. Maybe he'll come to understand the value once it auctions for about the same price twice......we'll see.

If he ain't considering the 2 grand offer, I'd say he isn't going to sell it anytime soon.

The lefty thing I get...that is, there aren't that many and when a certain lefty gets his sights on exactly what he is looking for, being harder to find he may offer a higher price (as you have). But playing the lefty card works both ways, don't it? finding buyers presents the same problems.

I wouldn't be worried about letting this one get away at 2 cake, even 1800 bones. It's not like you can't find another at that price. You likely know better than most, including me.

I wonder if it isn't worth putting a time limit on the offer. 2k seems more than fair. And you haven't even played it. If you don't like it, then YOU have the trouble of selling a guitar you have 2 grand into.

If he ain't considering the 2 grand offer, I'd say he isn't going to sell it anytime soon.

The lefty thing I get...that is, there aren't that many and when a certain lefty gets his sights on exactly what he is looking for, being harder to find he may offer a higher price (as you have). But playing the lefty card works both ways, don't it? finding buyers presents the same problems.

I wouldn't be worried about letting this one get away at 2 cake, even 1800 bones. It's not like you can't find another at that price. You likely know better than most, including me.

I wonder if it isn't worth putting a time limit on the offer. 2k seems more than fair. And you haven't even played it. If you don't like it, then YOU have the trouble of selling a guitar you have 2 grand into.

"And you haven't even played it".......yeah that's my lot...being lefty when you shop around for a good quality guitar you'Re very lucky to find any in store, maybe in the biggest cities and then some...

I always had to try right-handed ones and hope that the one I order from the manufacturer turns out at least as good as the one I heard.

Anyway, it sucks that this one didnt work out. It is really hard to find one, I've been watching Ebay every week for a year and that's only the second one that came around.....still looking ;)

[lease take the time to look at the guitar or read the thread, you would know this guitar is more than likely genuine.

It's good info, but easy to be taken wrong in the context (as I have...we all can make mistakes).

The reason for my comment is that the word "FAKE" was used and a inquiry into the authenticity of the Guitar. China LP's come in all styles!

JEV

• 2 weeks later...

Archived