Gibson Brands Forums

Sell or Keep

rayttk

Hi guys I am new to the forum so go easy on me :)

I have a 2010 SG standard In Ebony I bought It new for £1049 I chose this one from about 8 others all sub parr, I have recently fell in love with the Gibson Diablo Premium plus in Ice Tea. I cant afford Both and dont need both but I will take a hefty loss selling the standard, Should loosing up to £500 get in the way of my love for this one off guitar I now desire?

I agree its your money but I guess you could keep both. stranger things have happened. take for example ...me. I bought my sg special and then I wanted a les Paul that I don't play much because of the weight and then the classic white split coil with 1 & 3 burst buckers came out ( a standard with kick *** pick ups. I play the Sg's much more than I do the Paul. I didn't want three but what do I do? I would miss the one I get rid off. Good luck.

Well, can't/won't speak for anyone else, but..in my case, I've probably regretted selling,

every guitar I've ever sold, at some point. However...I've NEVER regretted keeping any of

the ones I still own. Even if it meant not buying a "new one," for a bit longer.

Just my 2-Pence worth. [wink]

CB

Words of wisdom above.

I am in same shoes...I was considering selling my Tele days ago, because of an incurable G.A.S. for a "78 LP Recording. Then thought about it again. No, the Tele is here to stay! Hard months to come...

Cheers... Bence

Agreed^^^^^^^^ but I simply can justify owning 2 guitars ATM I only play about an hour a day because of work and family commitments.

I have tried 3 Diablo's so far and just like when buying my Standard one feels just right, I have been to three shops the first two times I played the Diablo and then my Standard for direct comparison. I thought WOW I got off lightly because althigh I like the look they did not feel as good to me as the Standard, But the last one I tried I played it in the shop for an hour and when I picked up my Standard It felt awkward and clumsy so now I'm hooked on the Diablo I have left a deposit so Its safe for a month, I guess I'm worried because I'm selling a bullet proof workhorse at a loss for a sum what unknown quantity guitar, I have posted again just asking about the Diablo hopefully someone will advise me on there first hand experience.

Hm. Sometimes when something new comes into view, I tend to see what I already have a bit boring - so to say. That feeling goes away after a while. Think it twice, You might miss that Standard later. (I can`t justify owning any guitars but one - I have two hands only, and little money in them).

I think, really, it's only money.

There is no rule that says you can't have more guitars than you need. It's not like it hurts anything.

Also, in the end, there are always trade-offs as to which guitar is better than another, and it isn't the end of the world if you end up liking one guitar a little better or worse than another. And, it isn't the end of the world if you lose a little money, pay a little more than you need to, etc.

I can't imagine something like this "Diablo" being made again any time soon, or flooding the used market so as to make it easy to find. But, I also think there are a LOT of guitars that have been made and will be made that you might like as much, or better.

No advice, just perspectives to consider.

I agree with CB, I've sold or traded some that I wished I never done, then turn around and pay the same or more for the same thing. Got 11, none are going any where! But then again, they're all different. two acoustics, a couple basses, 3 hollowbodies, a couple LPs, Strat. All sound different and are used for different music.

TC

Well, can't/won't speak for anyone else, but..in my case, I've probably regretted selling,

every guitar I've ever sold, at some point. However...I've NEVER regretted keeping any of

the ones I still own. Even if it meant not buying a "new one," for a bit longer.

Just my 2-Pence worth. [wink]

CB

I totally agree!

D

I have a SG Diablo Premium Plus in Ice Tea that is an excellent guitar. It has it all, the SG shape with the LP flame maple top. Mine has a great 60's neck and the body cuts are like a 61RI and it play's like butter. I tried to score a second one when they were on sale, it was a blue one and that was not even close mine, the body was too fat, the bevels to fat and a few other miner things, sent it back. It's a tough call, if at all possible I would try and keep both, over a years time a few dallors a week and it's paid for.

I have a SG Diablo Premium Plus in Ice Tea that is an excellent guitar. It has it all, the SG shape with the LP flame maple top. Mine has a great 60's neck and the body cuts are like a 61RI and it play's like butter. I tried to score a second one when they were on sale, it was a blue one and that was not even close mine, the body was too fat, the bevels to fat and a few other miner things, sent it back. It's a tough call, if at all possible I would try and keep both, over a years time a few dallors a week and it's paid for.

Thanks DiamondJig, I was hoping to hear from a Diablo Premium owner, I have experienced the same as you albeit in the shop, these guitars are far from uniform, the shape of neck Is what I found the most drastic. But I do believe I have found the right one for me, I cannot keep both guitars I'm just not that way I have played for 30 years but have only ever had one guitar at a time.

What are your thoughts on the tone? I found it very bright compared to my standard but its so hard to get a real feel in a busy shop, I dont know if its the BBP's or the maple top or both :) also whats your opinion of the Grover tuners I have never used this locking tech seems like it will make changing strings a breeze.

Hi guys I am new to the forum so go easy on me :)

I have a 2010 SG standard In Ebony I bought It new for £1049 I chose this one from about 8 others all sub parr, I have recently fell in love with the Gibson Diablo Premium plus in Ice Tea. I cant afford Both and dont need both but I will take a hefty loss selling the standard, Should loosing up to £500 get in the way of my love for this one off guitar I now desire?

Not sure how long you've had your Standard but if its not long you should allow some time to "find" the guitar. Also, has it had a pro set up? That might make you change your mind about it.

That said, the Diablo ticks a lot of boxes if you only have one guitar with its 24 frets and Les Paul style looks.......especially if you need the extra frets, crave the bling and can live with less control versatilty.

I wonder whether there are a couple of reasons why you seem to prefer the Diablo to play. Firstly, the '60s rear neck profile might suit you and, secondly, that figured cap makes it easier to pick accurately with your plectrum.....If I have one criticism of the regular SG it's the flat top coupled with strings that are very close to the body under your picking hand which, I feel, makes picking more difficult compared to a Les Paul. The SG neck does somewhat compensate for that however. [wink]

I wouldn't rush in to this though. Take your standard in to the store and play them side by side. Keep going back and forth for a good while. Then, if you are in two minds at all, I would be inclinded to return home with the standard. After all it's a classic shape, classic colour and a great guitar to start with.

Thanks DiamondJig, I was hoping to hear from a Diablo Premium owner, I have experienced the same as you albeit in the shop, these guitars are far from uniform, the shape of neck Is what I found the most drastic. But I do believe I have found the right one for me, I cannot keep both guitars I'm just not that way I have played for 30 years but have only ever had one guitar at a time.

What are your thoughts on the tone? I found it very bright compared to my standard but its so hard to get a real feel in a busy shop, I dont know if its the BBP's or the maple top or both :) also whats your opinion of the Grover tuners I have never used this locking tech seems like it will make changing strings a breeze.

I think the brightness is mostly from the BBP's the maple top also adds a light too as possibly the pots and caps. The Standards have different PU the 498T is a hotter meatier. I did change out the little blue tone cap to a drop orange and it helps a little as does trim'n the vol. The grovers are excellent, they are very smooth and the locking is great, make string changing a breeze. The only con is the single vol and tone, I've thought about getting stacked knobs. If you only want to own one than I'd say make it the one, get to the shop and play it every day. The standard is a great guitar too. Good luck!

Archived