Gibson Brands Forums

Humidified J200... fixed!!

Towzend

Yes..don't mind the silly comments KB..I was just tryin to be helpful.

< irony > Ever the gent, eh? < / irony >

can't resist a hint of the dismissive again, Derek, eh? Bedside manner is still a work in progress I see.

Bill, despite everything I may not agree with Del on, the frets.com is a good tip and a great education for guitar setup, it will help you take a lot of the 'best guess' out of your approach, as stated earlier, fine instruments can take a bit more looking after than the more budget friendly examples and you will have learned a lot from it. If after a lot of reading you're still unsure I honestly can't recommend a visit to a tech highly enough to get it in tip-top condition.

Don't worry about me & Del, we're fine, I just like to remind him he's not quite the gent he masquerades about here as, but he loves me really. msp_thumbup.gif

Here's hoping you get many many happy years from the instrument. All the best.

Kaiser Bill, Despite the little "debate" about manners here I still think all of your problems will be fixed with humidity control. Frets.com is a great sight and I would expect it will tell you about the same thing that I posted about neck relief. However before doing anything to try and adjust the neck please let your guitar "come back to life" with humidity. I have had a few people bring their guitars to me for fear they have a warped neck and the problem has been solved by a humidifier.

A good all wood guitar is always going to move around. Especially at the bridge where the belly is. That is most active part of a guitar and will move up and down for a lot of reasons. Different gage strings, temperature and most of all humidity. The lack of humidity will make the belly flatten out and the first symptom of that is fret buzz.

So it is an excellent idea to read all you can about guitar care and maintenance but the worst thing you can do in any situation is to start adjusting things. As you are finding out, humidity is EVERYTHING to an all wood instrument.

Give it some time and I think your baby will come back to you. [thumbup]

I am under the impression KB is mixed up with his terminology

If you read the thread he stated he thinks he has a belly in his neck... and all these posts about humidifying and real bellys in the body must be confusing as hell to him.

He states he see's relief in the neck when sighting down this ( and he thought this is what is meant by a belly )... as my earlier post points out to KB..a curve in the neck is normal. He adjusted the truss rod and made the neck practically straight... and the fret buzzing was made worse..as you would expect.

KB.. just read the frets.com site..this will help. You may have dried the guitar out somewhat and this may be causing the buzzing,,but it may be a simple neck relief issue also..or something else. If it was fine before..it should be easy to remedy.. but you don't have a belly in the neck.

After all that... +:-@ It boils (oh i love that word!)down to what i said in the beginning..

Humidifiying his guitar for 5 days!! [thumbup] (i think theres a song in there somewhere!)

All the best with it Bill..

After all that... +:-@ It boils (oh i love that word!)down to what i said in the beginning..

Humidifiying his guitar for 5 days!! [thumbup] (i think theres a song in there somewhere!)

All the best with it Bill..

well here's some more +:-@ for ya

KB's post says he thought he had a belly in his neck..then was advised to humidify his GUITAR. Now I know this started as your post Tows..but I read his post and though he clearly has not understood what his issue is..and hoped someone would chime in and help him.

Nobody did.for a while..then he was offered more advice about humidifying the guitar..and also neck relief..alot of info it's clear from KB's other posts..he was not understanding.

he starts putting containers of water INSIDE his guitar..adjusting the truss rod until he has zero relief..making the fret buzzing worse.

KB has not stated what the true issue is..

He first states he has a belly in his neck...THIS IS CLEARLY WRONG.....and advising him to humidify his guitar is bad information IMHO. he goes on to state the guiatr was fine " until the other night" does he mean after he has adjusted the truss rod...put a bowl of water inside it ???? we do not know !

This thread has actually annoyed me.. because it is clear if you actually read the whole thread..that KB does not understand the issues at hand..and I feel he has been given info that could possibly harm his guitar.

Instaed of telling him to humidify the guitar..he should have been asked what the actual issue is..and offered better advice.

+:-@ +:-@ +:-@

well here's some more +:-@ for ya

KB's post says he thought he had a belly in his neck..then was advised to humidify his GUITAR. Now I know this started as your post Tows..but I read his post and though he clearly has not understood what his issue is..and hoped someone would chime in and help him.

Nobody did.for a while..then he was offered more advice about humidifying the guitar..and also neck relief..alot of info it's clear from KB's other posts..he was not understanding.

he starts putting containers of water INSIDE his guitar..adjusting the truss rod until he has zero relief..making the fret buzzing worse.

KB has not stated what the true issue is..

He first states he has a belly in his neck...THIS IS CLEARLY WRONG.....and advising him to humidify his guitar is bad information IMHO. he goes on to state the guiatr was fine " until the other night" does he mean after he has adjusted the truss rod...put a bowl of water inside it ???? we do not know !

This thread has actually annoyed me.. because it is clear if you actually read the whole thread..that KB does not understand the issues at hand..and I feel he has been given info that could possibly harm his guitar.

Instaed of telling him to humidify the guitar..he should have been asked what the actual issue is..and offered better advice.

+:-@ +:-@ +:-@

Sounds like your the 'be all' and 'end all' then does it?

with experts like you knobody needs to add there opinions then do they!

Yeah you can add some more +:-@+:-@ dont bother me.. judging by your other posts with other

members, your very fond of that!

I am far from an expert.. sorry Towsend but anyone reading KB's first post should be able to realize the guy does not have much experience with acoustic guitars.

he askes what was wrong with your guitar..then says he has a feckin belly in the neck of his guitar..

You must be a bit of a bloody idiot to tell him to humidify it...and you also say if he has a dip in his neck a truss rod adjustment will sort it out !!!!

For gods sake man... he then states he has made the neck completely straight and got rid of ' THE BELLY '... but the strings are now buzzing against the 13th- 15th frets

you say great..dont touch the truss rod anymore..you have hit ' the sweet spot'

jasus !

then you again tell him to make conatainer of water and lock it in his case for 5 days

man your a real beauty !

I am far from an expert.. sorry Towsend but anyone reading KB's first post should be able to realize the guy does not have much experience with acoustic guitars.

he askes what was wrong with your guitar..then says he has a feckin belly in the neck of his guitar..

You must be a bit of a bloody idiot to tell him to humidify it...and you also say if he has a dip in his neck a truss rod adjustment will sort it out !!!!

For gods sake man... he then states he has made the neck completely straight and got rid of ' THE BELLY '... but the strings are now buzzing against the 13th- 15th frets

you say great..dont touch the truss rod anymore..you have hit ' the sweet spot'

jasus !

then you again tell him to make conatainer of water and lock it in his case for 5 days

man your a real beauty !

+:-@+:-@+:-@+:-@ ... Mr expert.. Keep taking the tablets!!

Sounds like your the 'be all' and 'end all' then does it?

with experts like you knobody needs to add there opinions then do they!

Yeah you can add some more +:-@+:-@ dont bother me.. judging by your other posts with other

members, your very fond of that!

MAMMARY GLAND ALERT, MAMMARY GLAND ALERT, sound the horns... sound the bloody horns.....

Kaiser Bill, Trust me it will come back to it's original glory. As long as you didn't develop any cracks there is no reason to think it will not be 100% of the guitar it was before. It may be even better since you are now an expert in humidity control. If it was really dried out it could take 2 or 3 weeks so be patient. If you still get fret buzz after a a couple of weeks then it could be from that truss rod adjustment you gave it when it was really dry so you may have to make another adjustment but not until it gets fully humidified.

After about three days of being sealed in the case with a soap dish humidifier I pulled out the guitar and played it. Not quite perfect, but much better than it was. This could happen. I thought it might be firewood.

Im glad to hear its on the mend Bill.. [thumbup]

I did say 5 days, but it looks like it will need more..

Best o luck

I was once at my luthiers shop, and he had an old guitar fully enclosed, sealed and hanging in a plastic trash bag. I asked "what's up" he said he was re-humidifying an extremely dried out old guitar before he could reliably do any work on it. Just a couple weeks before, he had called me to let me know he had to wait a week for mine to dry-out from being over-humidified. (Two drop ins + three soap-dish sponges was a bit extreme on my part, but I was trying to keep a top-crack from spreading).

There were/are no cracks anywhere on the guitar. I only pulled it out of the case for less than 15 minutes...put another eye dropper full of water into the sponge and closed it all up again. I'll leave it set for at least three more days (probably longer) now that I see its getting better. If it means never having to do this again, I'll put it back in the case after every session. Its a pain, but better than junking this precious gift.

I can't thank everyone on here enough for helping me. It is nice to be able to rely on knowledgable folks. Maybe it was W.C. Fields that said we are all ignorant...just on different subjects. Well one of my many subjects is acoustic guitars. Quantum mechanics and women would also make that list.

Archived