Gibson Brands Forums

Ozzy Osbourne - No Bone Movies

CoreyT

I just got back from having my taxes done, and on Ozzy's Boneyard channel on Sirius, I heard this song.

I believe I have heard it before, but the tone of the guitar doing the riff has got to be my favorite tone of all.

Much like you hear with Deep Purple, early Black Sabbath, and many other early bands.

I take it this is an overdriven clipping Marshal sound?

Whatever it is, it is my favorite guitar riff/lead sound.

I wonder of one of those Plexi pedals like Wampler and others have gets you close to that sound if you use the clean channel and run the pedal through it.

I like many bands different lead guitar sounds, but that particular sound I enjoy the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDOT4MEMurY

The video above sounds like it was taken right from the record, as a few "live" videos I checked out did not sound as well, that could be from the cameras they were using back in '81 at a few of the live concerts.

And I take it was Randy Rhoads who was playing guitar too?

I am thinking it's Randy's Marshall, for 2 reasons. One, I THINK that's what he used to make those 2 records, And also, it SOUNDS like a Marshall with the bridge pup on a Gibby.

It don't sound like a champ...most champs I have experienced do have the overdrive like that, but not quite the same "growl" that JMP and JCM Marshalls can get.

Overall, I think what's key though, is bridge pup, no reverb or muck, and not trying to get bass in it, letting the overdrive and mid/treble meld with the distortion.

I read a post on a musician's forum some time back and they mentioned a site that gave an rundown of the rigs that many iconic guitarists used live and in the studio.I didn't have the presence of mind to make a note of it at the time.

Archived