Gibson Brands Forums

My 93 Ebony les Paul Studio

1963DaveG

Well I haven't posted any pics yet so I thought I'd give it a try. I recently got back into guitars end of last year and a cousin of mine that plays had two Les Paul Studios, a black 93 with Gold Hardware and ebony fretboard, and a 2008 Fireburst with gold hardware he was selling. Well, I never did any research prior to buying the 93 from him, but I had always wanted a Les Paul back in the late 70s when I bought my second guitar then new, an Ibanez Iceman. I had always liked the look, the feel and the sound of a Gibson Les Paul. Well, needless to say when I went to see him and had the 93 & the 08 in my hands first thing I noticed was the difference in weight...wow! Then the next thing I noticed was the difference in tone between the two. At any rate they both felt good in as far as low fast action. The deciding factor for me was the "punch" that the 93 had, the sustain for days, and the sound/tone that was amazing. Then I did a lot of research and realized that the early 90s Studios were some of the most sought after Les Pauls made. I also found out about the difference between weight relief and chambered and the difference it makes, or at least to me. Now granted I had gotten away from guitars from early 80s to early 00's when I got my Son a Epi SG in hopes he would want to learn. Fast forward to end of last year, November when my Brother-in-Law gave me a Squire Telecaster. At first I was like what a waste, but the bug bit me hard and I couldn't put it down despite all its flaws. So, then my cousin just happened to be selling these both and I nailed the 93 and the rest is history. I do find it amazing all the people that shun the Studio as if it wasn't a "real" Les Paul...ignorance is bliss is all I can say cause I'd put this 93 up against any other Les Paul and wouldn't think twice about it. And to be honest a few might leave with their heads shaking in unbelief. So, I will quit rambling on and try to post some pics for all to view. I will say though I can see this leading to more guitars in the future for me as well but for now I am perfectly content.

So here she is...some dings here and there, gold hardware wearing down. I am getting ready to clean frets, fretboard and condition it in a few days. Only thing that drives me insane about this ebony color IS, cloudy smudges where my arm touches the body that naptha won't remove. There has to be some type of polish made for nitro finishes that a light buffing will remove this and the swirls. I use Gibson pump polish, tried a few others seems to be what I like the best. I have been replacing some of the gold hardware with new Gibson hardware. I know some say leave it...I am just anal that way. I also put a new pickguard on, a Custom one that I kinda like as the truss rod cover has white edges on it so I gave it a shot...still undecided on it right now. Eventually when I decided to do it, gonna change out the pickup covers, I am gonna do something about polishing the swirl marks and smudges out, and change out the bridge and tailpiece with new hardware as well. So that's my plan. She will be part of my collection cause they don't make'em like this one anymore if ya ask me.

What she looked like when I got her home. Perfect just the way she is...but surely I am not the only one who can't leave things alone [tongue]

securedownload-94_zpsb04201ee.jpeg

After installing the Custom pickguard and polishing her up a bit. New pickguard & jack plate gold hardware installed.

93LPStudiowithCustomPickguard_zps01a28462.jpg

Where she resides when not in my hands...

93LPStudioinHSC_zps0337ae17.jpg

And a new Truss Rod Cover as well

93LPStudioHeadstockwithNewTrussRodPlate_zpse3986767.jpg

I thought I had posted this in the Studio Club but evidently I didn't...can a moderator move it to there??? Seems I have also posted it in the Studio section as well so maybe this post can be removed entirely. I tried but couldn't figure out how to delete it...sorry!

Looks mighty fine as is to me...your guitar 'do what thou wilt!

Anyhoo,lots of fiddlers and tinkerers on here,,,sure to give you advice.

Yep Studios are GREAT L'Ps......they have the Gibson sound sure enough.

I think you need to have 10 posts before you can post in certain areas,i think you got that now...

Welcome!...and happy plucking.

I thought I had posted this in the Studio Club but evidently I didn't...can a moderator move it to there??? Seems I have also posted it in the Studio section as well so maybe this post can be removed entirely. I tried but couldn't figure out how to delete it...sorry!

I think this is deserving of its own thread. [thumbup]

Great guitar.

I like the look of the multi-ply p'g. Good Move!

And the only folks who put the Studio down are the 'Great Mass of the Uninformed'. IMHO, of course....

I doubt you'll find anyone hereabouts who would argue that the Studio is every bit as good as pretty much any other LP; certainly in the playability and sonic stakes.

The early Studios often shared roughly the same hardware and electronics as the top-of-the-pile LP Custom. The only real differences were, in effect, the amount of 'Bling' on offer.

Pick Long and Prosper!

P.

Darn nice Les Paul Studio - congrats, Dave! [thumbup]

Being a Gibson Les Paul, it definitely deserves this thread, and it is just at the right place here. B)

As for "not leaving alone," I am addicted to blank truss rod covers, Speed Knobs, and TP-6 fine-tuning tailpieces... ;)

... and to Schaller Strap Security Locks when it goes around Les Paul guitars. :rolleyes:

Nice guitar!

Love the look with the multi ply pick guard.......just enough to break up all the black, but not take away from it.

I have the cloudy area under my arm on my Gem in dark purple (amethyst) and I haven't found a good subtle polish to help either......I'm considering bringing it in for a full buff. Post if you find a simple solution.

NHTom

And the only folks who put the Studio down are the 'Great Mass of the Uninformed'. IMHO, of course....

P.

The best part of a studio is that you can have it fancy, glossy, and polished, or you can have it ratty, faded, and beat up........stock or modded............it is all good......plug it in and let it RIP..........no worries. Truly a great model guitar because you get a great sounding and playing instrument that like a fast food joint, you can have "your way" with no regrets, etc......

NHTom

You did a beautiful job customizing. I customized my 2014 studio with new gloss paint, the same pickguard as you (from a custom) and these vol/tone knobs. I also have a beautiful 2012 Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro, but this is the one I pick up the most. Best guitar ever.

Well I needed to replace my strings so I went ahead and took the time to polish my frets and clean and condition the Ebony fretboard. All I can say is this was well worth the time it took to tape, polish frets with steel wool and polish, and to clean and polish the Ebony fretboard versus restringing only!

BEFORE: Prior to removing strings and cleaning I began taping the fretboard.

Fretboard1stpic_zps103d84bc.jpg

AFTER: Cleaned polished and restrung. WOW what a difference it made IMHO!

FretboardFinal2_zpsca3aa37d.jpg

Fretboard after frets polished and fretboard conditioned.

Fretboardcleanconditionedfretspolished_zps0ecdb4eb.jpg

Fretboardcleanconditionedfretspolished2_zpsf2cdd2c1.jpg

Complete Fretboard and took time and took tuning key nuts off cleaned/polished and reinstalled and polished headstock good.

Fretboardcleanconditionedfretspolishedpriortostrings_zps5ccfc349.jpg

FretboardHeadstockFinalpic_zpsdb1da7d3.jpg

Nice guitar!

Love the look with the multi ply pick guard.......just enough to break up all the black, but not take away from it.

I have the cloudy area under my arm on my Gem in dark purple (amethyst) and I haven't found a good subtle polish to help either......I'm considering bringing it in for a full buff. Post if you find a simple solution.

NHTom

NHTom I tried the Virtuoso Cleaner and rubbed it in hard as I was determined to get what was on there off. Well, it worked! Only thing I do not like Virtuoso polish at all, and I use the Gibson pump polish instead as it goes on and comes off easier and to me looks better. Of course I have played my guitar few times since I did this and I wipe her down good after playing and the cloudy area has NOT returned at all. I tried Naptha and all it did was smear whatever it was even more. That's when I decided to give her hell with the Virtuoso cleaner. It's worth a shot!

• 7 months later...

Nice guitar!

NHTom

I have a Gem with factory humbuckers in Ruby Red. Apparently they used the finish longer than they put P90s in the guitar. Anyway there is a polish out there that will remove just about anything from the surface of your finish. It is slightly abrasive so it is only a once every few months sort of thing, but spend 20 bucks on Virtuoso polish and guitar cleaner and your guitar will shine like new.

I have a 1994 Studio. I love it. I have a an EMG 81 in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan APH-1 in the bridge. I mostly use it for metal.post-67638-095596900 1411590075_thumb.jpg

How do you have a passive in the neck and active in the bridge? 81 = active, APH = passive, correct? so how did you wire them in the same circuit without using a bunch of odd toggles?

Archived