Gibson Brands Forums

Possibly buying a guitar today...need help with verification please!

cliffenstein

Nevermind. I just found an image of a 2006 J-45 with the original "Solid Spruce Top" stickers still intact.

Was it this? http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-25645-GIBSON-EPIPHONE-LIMITED-ED-1963-J-45-VS

They seemed to be all over the place that year with pickguards...that one has the period correct pickguard. Mine, obviously does not and I've seen 'em with the DR series pickguards as well!

Yes, sir...absolutely positive it's a solid top...Gibson Customer Service confirmed it and I can tell from playing it anyway.

Feel free to use photos of my guitar that I took and posted in this thread if you'd like.

Where did you find that image anyway? I searched high and low for it and couldn't find any!

Right here.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/84421-ltd-ed-1963-j-45/

The pickguard is quite perplexing though. It seems that both styles of pickguards made it onto the 2006 run somehow. Every 2006 J-45 I have found (about half a dozen or so) have the regular J-45 pickguard. Yours and the one in the link earlier in this thread have the Gibson style pickguards. I may have to list them both.

Also, as far as the tuners are concerned, I'm pretty sure that the vintage green-keys were original to your 2006 J-45. I just found a listing for a Lake Placid Blue J-45 "repair project" on the Guitar Huggers website. The tuners are missing, but the headstock has the original two-hole pattern for the Kluson Deluxe tuners instead of a one-hole pattern for Grovers.

It seems that both may have been used on this model at some point during the run.

Take a look and see what you think.

http://www.guitarhuggers.com/products/epiphone-1963-reissue-j45-acoustic-guitar-limited-edition-blue

One more strange thing about these 2006 models is that some have the Epiphone "E" on the truss cover and some say "EJ". Whats more, some say J-45 on the label while others say EJ-45, though the you will see a "J" label with an "EJ" truss cover.

It seems Epiphone was a bit conflicted when this guitar was launched. :-s

Right here.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/84421-ltd-ed-1963-j-45/

The pickguard is quite perplexing though. It seems that both styles of pickguards made it onto the 2006 run somehow. Every 2006 J-45 I have found (about half a dozen or so) have the regular J-45 pickguard. Yours and the one in the link earlier in this thread have the Gibson style pickguards. I may have to list them both.

Also, as far as the tuners are concerned, I'm pretty sure that the vintage green-keys were original to your 2006 J-45. I just found a listing for a Lake Placid Blue J-45 "repair project" on the Guitar Huggers website. The tuners are missing, but the headstock has the original two-hole pattern for the Kluson Deluxe tuners instead of a one-hole pattern for Grovers.

It seems that both may have been used on this model at some point during the run.

Take a look and see what you think.

http://www.guitarhuggers.com/products/epiphone-1963-reissue-j45-acoustic-guitar-limited-edition-blue

One more strange thing about these 2006 models is that some have the Epiphone "E" on the truss cover and some say "EJ". Whats more, some say J-45 on the label while others say EJ-45, though the you will see a "J" label with an "EJ" truss cover.

It seems Epiphone was a bit conflicted when this guitar was launched. :-s

Mine doesn't have a Gibson style pickguard...it has the Epiphone Texan/AJ pickguard...there's a difference. The one earlier in this thread that was linked from Guitar Museum has the Epiphone DR pickguard...it's a true teardrop shape. Modern Gibson J-45 pickguards are a bit more squared out down by the bridge.

All that to say: yes, they were mightily conflicted with these. Perhaps they just were utilizing whatever spare parts they had!

These are essentially AJ220S's with a gloss finish neck.

The 2006 J-45 has wider shoulders/neck/nut, deeper body, better tuners and what looks to be a nicer looking sunburst. Some also had tortoise shell pickguards instead of black, some had the period correct pickguard shape, others had the AJ pickguards and some had the DR pickguards.

Then there's the gloss neck that you mentioned (which I prefer).

Go to the drug store and get a small bottle of 90% pure isopropol rubbing alcohol. I do believe that will remove the "sharpie/magic marker" writing. If this was a nitro finished guitar...well don't use the isopropol alcohol on that, but poly finish should be OK, try it on a very small spot on the back and see what happens. Also, if you dent your solid body guitar, put some of the alcohol onto the bump/hole/depression, let it set 4-5 minutes, them light it on fire (be careful, only use a little..do not set yourself or the guitar on permanent fire...please.) well, light the little "puddle" on fire until the alcohol is consumed, and just maybe the bump will be "pulled" back into proper shape....maybe...be careful, you may have to do it a few times. If it does not work...it must be a big bump...lol

• 2 weeks later...

I took my 2006 Epiphone J-45 to my luthier today. The boom was lowered...the guitar needs a neck reset. That's a repair too expensive for the guitar's value. Because of the guitar's poly finish, the neck reset would be even more expensive than normal. I returned the guitar and case to GC.

The neck was likely made with the neck set not quite right. The saddle could have been lowered to offset things and my luthier even said it would satisfy most players, but it will never play as well as my Texan does.

I left my Texan with him for the bone saddle upgrade. He advised against the nut replacement. He said I just will not hear a difference in tone and that the nut that's on it now is fantastic.

Anyone interested in owning this 2006 Epiphone J-45 can pick it up at the Richmond, VA Guitar Center on Broad Street.

Very sorry to hear about the Epi J45! I take it Mr. Brummitt made the determination? Did he do the old straightedge down the fretboard method? Maybe you'll find another one someday.

Yes (Mark) and no (straightedge test). He just held it up and looked at it and said it was borderline. He then said that, considering the age of the guitar, the neck was probably set like that originally and that shaving down the saddle would be workable enough for most players. He looked at my Texan and said the J-45 "will never be like that without a proper neck reset."

I don't understand when you got it you liked the tone and volume and was happy you went and got it, your guy had a couple of comments and you got rid of it???

I'm sure glad I stuck with my own opinion on guitars I own cause they all have outlasted THE OVER PRICED ONES for reliability and playability.

I don't understand when you got it you liked the tone and volume and was happy you went and got it, your guy had a couple of comments and you got rid of it???

I'm sure glad I stuck with my own opinion on guitars I own cause they all have outlasted THE OVER PRICED ONES for reliability and playability.

If you recall, I indicated early on in the thread that the action was too high. My goal was to get it to feel and play like my Texan. My "guy" is the absolute authority around here and if he tells me it isn't possible without a neck reset then I'm gonna listen to him. He wasn't jonesing me for more work...he has too much work as it is. I made the determination that the guitar's value didn't warrant the work required so I returned the guitar.

Also, while at Guitar Center after returning the guitar, I tested the Gibsons and Martins they had in the high priced area. I played around 10 of them - 2k to 4k in price, one of which was a Gibson J-45. I'm telling you right now, my Texan ($399) is every bit as good as those guitars are. I honestly believe that the high-priced guitars are really nothing more than status symbols.

If you recall, I indicated early on in the thread that the action was too high. My goal was to get it to feel and play like my Texan. My "guy" is the absolute authority around here and if he tells me it isn't possible without a neck reset then I'm gonna listen to him. He wasn't jonesing me for more work...he has too much work as it is. I made the determination that the guitar's value didn't warrant the work required so I returned the guitar.

Also, while at Guitar Center after returning the guitar, I tested the Gibsons and Martins they had in the high priced area. I played around 10 of them - 2k to 4k in price, one of which was a Gibson J-45. I'm telling you right now, my Texan ($399) is every bit as good as those guitars are. I honestly believe that the high-priced guitars are really nothing more than status symbols.

I totally agree I just got back from a jam and My masterbuilt dr500mce had the best tone and volume of the martin and the high end wasburn and takamines. As for the 45 I would have tried to bring it down as much as I could with out the reset and kept it for the ever so dangerous crowded jams so your Texan didn't have to go through the nightmare of possible accidental bang and dents from careless enthusiast.

This GC had a very nice looking AJ-220s with a beautifully dark stained fretboard that I was very impressed with. I'm going to try to get my wife to go give it a second look with me today after church.

If I get it, I will be upgrading the tuners to the same ones that were on that J-45. I really liked the looks and stability of those tuners.

Archived