Gibson Brands Forums

J45- Vibration noise under the bridge.

ServantOfGod

I have a J45 Custom Shop in Cherry Red. Whenever use it is connected to the P.A system. And recently played acoustically, while I realized that makes a rattling noise near the bridge, especially when I play the bass strings. I'll try changing the strings, bridge pins maybe were not well placed, or could it be some loose cable inside?

I have heard this on several guitars from different makers...the best explanation I have seen is a weird fret buzz from eliptical motion of the E string. It goes away with softer picking and/or strumming further away from the bridge. Or not...

I have heard this on several guitars from different makers...the best explanation I have seen is a weird fret buzz from eliptical motion of the E string. It goes away with softer picking and/or strumming further away from the bridge. Or not...

It is not fret buzz. The vibration is in the body. It is as if something inside loose, but can not see anything.

TRY:

~ A new string. I've had bass strings cause vibration/buzzing on guitars I know were solid and didn't buzz before, and sounded like something loose inside the guitar. Changed the string and the issue disappeared.

USE A MIRROR AND CHECK:

~ Ball ends are solidly engaged against the bridge plate and pins are seated properly

~ Cables. Make sure none are loosely touching the top, sides, or back

~ Sound hole volume control. Make sure it's not loose and the connecting cables aren't loosely touching the top

~ Bracing. Check for loose braces or issues with the bridge plate. Stick your hand in there and see if anything is loose.

COULD BE:

~ What's called 'back buzz'...which can sound like something is loose inside the guitar. Sometimes frets behind the fretted note will buzz creating a back buzz. The string movement behind the fretted note is caused by sympathetic vibrations in the string. This kind of buzz could be a sign that the nut is too low or there is not enough neck angle. But it is caused by the frets not stepping away enough from the fret in front. After first checking the nut and the neck angle it may be possible to correct this by lowering the high fret.

I get some back buzz on a couple of my guitars when using a capo and eliminate it by either placing a pick under the bass strings ahead of the capo, or attach a second capo ahead of the main capo. If you've ever seen the Milk Carton Kids, the guitar player ties a white rag around the fretboard ahead of the capo to deaden the sympathetic vibrations ahead of the capo to eliminate back buzz. This is a MUST when recording with guitars that exhibit back buzz when using a capo.

If you can't locate the cause, take it to a good tech.

Good luck!

DC

TRY:

~ A new string. I've had bass strings cause vibration/buzzing on guitars I know were solid and didn't buzz before, and sounded like something loose inside the guitar. Changed the string and the issue disappeared.

USE A MIRROR AND CHECK:

~ Ball ends are solidly engaged against the bridge plate and pins are seated properly

~ Cables. Make sure none are loosely touching the top, sides, or back

~ Sound hole volume control. Make sure it's not loose and the connecting cables aren't loosely touching the top

~ Bracing. Check for loose braces or issues with the bridge plate. Stick your hand in there and see if anything is loose.

COULD BE:

~ What's called 'back buzz'...which can sound like something is loose inside the guitar. Sometimes frets behind the fretted note will buzz creating a back buzz. The string movement behind the fretted note is caused by sympathetic vibrations in the string. This kind of buzz could be a sign that the nut is too low or there is not enough neck angle. But it is caused by the frets not stepping away enough from the fret in front. After first checking the nut and the neck angle it may be possible to correct this by lowering the high fret.

I get some back buzz on a couple of my guitars when using a capo and eliminate it by either placing a pick under the bass strings ahead of the capo, or attach a second capo ahead of the main capo. If you've ever seen the Milk Carton Kids, the guitar player ties a white rag around the fretboard ahead of the capo to deaden the sympathetic vibrations ahead of the capo to eliminate back buzz. This is a MUST when recording with guitars that exhibit back buzz when using a capo.

If you can't locate the cause, take it to a good tech.

Good luck!

DC

Interesting. I will follow all of the steps. Thank you!!!

I assume you have a baggs sound system? Undersaddle with a volume wheel just in the soundhole? If so, there's a bunch of stuff in there. Some of the 'loose' wires should be taped down, but that probably wouldn't cause a buzz. Only suggestion - next string change, take off 1-5 and leave lowE 6 on there. Stick your hand in the sound hole and pick the E. Try to touch different components until you find one that seems to stop the buzz. Then, figure out how to tighten it. But, yes - the endpin jack on mine comes loose from having a strap on it - that could be it. G'luck.

I assume you have a baggs sound system? Undersaddle with a volume wheel just in the soundhole? If so, there's a bunch of stuff in there. Some of the 'loose' wires should be taped down, but that probably wouldn't cause a buzz. Only suggestion - next string change, take off 1-5 and leave lowE 6 on there. Stick your hand in the sound hole and pick the E. Try to touch different components until you find one that seems to stop the buzz. Then, figure out how to tighten it. But, yes - the endpin jack on mine comes loose from having a strap on it - that could be it. G'luck.

Thanks!! I will. I am not sure it was the low E string. [rolleyes]

I just changed the strings, checked the inside, the input jack, different bridge pins, and I still hearing the vibration when i play the G string and if I go into the higher frets the noise increase. I am don't know if is my mind but the noise disappear when I go to a different room of my house.

Here is a phone video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SKZSgWdN28

I had some slight vibration buzz and it was simply the wires from the pickup system vibrating against the inside of the guitar. I reached inside and carefully moved the wires around until the buzzing stopped. I will eventually remove the complete system next string change anyway. I would second this suggestion as well.

I just changed the strings, checked the inside, the input jack, different bridge pins, and I still hearing the vibration when i play the G string and if I go into the higher frets the noise increase. I am don't know if is my mind but the noise disappear when I go to a different room of my house.

Here is a phone video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SKZSgWdN28

Sounds to me like a high fret, way up 14 +or past. You are "fretting out" Is the action super low? Nut cut too deep, or a high fret, my guess.

I'm going with back buzz. Place a capo at the 5th fret as the main capo, then place another capo (the secondary capo) ahead of the main capo at the 3rd fret. Play some chords/individual strings and see if you still hear the vibration. It doesn't matter if it's a bit out of tune from the capos...you're mainly concerned about hearing or not hearing the same vibration you've been experiencing. If you still hear some vibration, move the secondary capo to the 2nd fret and see what happens. Then move the main capo up to the 7th fret, leave the secondary wherever it is and see if you hear it. Let us know what you find.

My J-35 is one of my guitars with back buzz and it's because I cut the nut slots as low as possible without any string buzz when played open fairly aggressively. Actions that are a bit high at the nut will rarely have back buzz. But I like fairly low action at the nut. Do this: fret each string one-by-one at the 3rd fret and check for clearance at the 1st fret. Each string should have JUST a slight bit of space between the string and 1st fret....just a hair of space is good. If a string is touching or resting on the 1st fret, this could be causing a sympathetic resonance when fretting further up the neck, which can be fairly loud, annoying, and sound like something loose inside the guitar. Again, let us know what you find.

When checking inside, did you find any pickup wires loosely touching the top?

DC

Do you have a mirror? Look under the top / under bridge. Are there little bolts with nuts (one on each side of the bridge?) If so, try to tighten the nuts, they are very small. I have a Southern Jumbo that had the same noise, and after I tightened the nuts under bridge, no more noise / vibration.

Thank you all for your interest and suggestions [thumbup] . Yesterday I had no time to try them , but I'll definitely try today. If I do not succeed, next week when I go to the shop to take my other guitar I will ask the luthier to check the screws under the bridge.

Do you have a mirror? Look under the top / under bridge. Are there little bolts with nuts (one on each side of the bridge?) If so, try to tighten the nuts, they are very small. I have a Southern Jumbo that had the same noise, and after I tightened the nuts under bridge, no more noise / vibration.

Thanks, but I would not dare to do that. I 'm terrible with tools. [blink]

Hey David, please allow me to make one final suggestion: Take it to a good tech and be done with it! A good tech can fairly quickly determine what's going on and get it taken care of, or at least shine some light on what's happening. We always want to help fellow forum members whenever possible, however, without actually seeing the guitar, it's purely speculation on our part, and I'm sure you want to get on with enjoying that J-45!

DC

Hey David, please allow me to make one final suggestion: Take it to a good tech and be done with it! A good tech can fairly quickly determine what's going on and get it taken care of, or at least shine some light on what's happening. We always want to help fellow forum members whenever possible, however, without actually seeing the guitar, it's purely speculation on our part, and I'm sure you want to get on with enjoying that J-45!

DC

Thank you very much , that's what I'll do. I will keep you posted!

I just found the reason why the noise was there. Before I take it to the shop I was doing some revisions , including recommendations that you made ​​me . I was playing it carefully and bringing my ear to where the noise vibration and led me to the bottom .

I checked the endpin of the pickup jack and perfectly tight, but I removed it and went back to playing and boom! the noise was gone! I tried putting it upside down and the problem is solved.

Thank you all, and I hope that this topic is helpful to others experiencing the same problem

I just found the reason why the noise was there. Before I take it to the shop I was doing some revisions , including recommendations that you made ​​me . I was playing it carefully and bringing my ear to where the noise vibration and led me to the bottom .

I checked the endpin of the pickup jack and perfectly tight, but I removed it and went back to playing and boom! the noise was gone! I tried putting it upside down and the problem is solved.

Thank you all, and I hope that this topic is helpful to others experiencing the same problem

I struggled with the same issue on my new custom shop Hummingbird. The endpin jack was part of the problem. After I sent it back to Montana they ended up replacing the entire Baggs system to remove the last bit of sizzle/buss sound.

This happened to me and it turned out that one of the little nuts that are attached to the little bolts on each end of the bridge (under the MOP dots on each end of the bridge) had come loose and was vibrating when certain notes were played. I reached up inside and finger tightend the nut, it was about a half inch from being firm up against the bridge plate. Then I got a box end wrench, 1/4 inch if memory serves, and snugged up the nut. Voila, problem solved! DO NOT reef on the wrench, just get the nut good and snug up against the bridge plate.

This happened to me and it turned out that one of the little nuts that are attached to the little bolts on each end of the bridge (under the MOP dots on each end of the bridge) had come loose and was vibrating when certain notes were played. I reached up inside and finger tightend the nut, it was about a half inch from being firm up against the bridge plate. Then I got a box end wrench, 1/4 inch if memory serves, and snugged up the nut. Voila, problem solved! DO NOT reef on the wrench, just get the nut good and snug up against the bridge plate.

Do modern J-45s have the screw and nut?

See those little mother-of-pearl dots on either end of the line of your bridge pins? They typically cover a little bolt that runs through the bridge, then the top and on through the bridge plate. A little nut attaches to the bolt and gives added strength to the bridge attachment. A mirror in the sound hole can verify this or you can reach up in there and feel them.

Archived