Gibson Brands Forums

Got A New Nut

Chuck S

So, I've had my 2015 SR Standard for about a month or so and I really like it a lot, but the brass zero fret nut started the pinging. I emailed Gibson and asked if they were selling any of the Titanium Nuts for a replacement. I wasn't looking for a handout and I'd really like to get a few new colors for that cool detachable pick-guard. So Arianna from Gibson emailed me and sent me the new nut without any charge. So I'd like to publically thank them and her for their outstanding customer support! Thanks Arianna, because of you I'll keep coming back! No promises made for the color expansions on the pick-guards though.

Chuck

Similar experience with a 2015 classic. Gibson Europe sent a replacement nut unfortunately not one of the new titanium ones but a nickel plated brass one (not as nicely finished as the original but maybe they need a lot of low cost replacements!) Will see how it goes...

Other wise the guitars excellent, I like it a lot [thumbup]

So, I've had my 2015 SR Standard for about a month or so and I really like it a lot, but the brass zero fret nut started the pinging. I emailed Gibson and asked if they were selling any of the Titanium Nuts for a replacement. I wasn't looking for a handout and I'd really like to get a few new colors for that cool detachable pick-guard. So Arianna from Gibson emailed me and sent me the new nut without any charge. So I'd like to publically thank them and her for their outstanding customer support! Thanks Arianna, because of you I'll keep coming back! No promises made for the color expansions on the pick-guards though.

Chuck

Same here. Gibson sent me a new titanium replacement nut for my 2015 LP Special Double Cut.

Although I wasn't having any problems with the stock brass zero fret nut, I decided to go ahead and request one of the new titanium ones when/if the brass nut breaks down. The new nut arrived pretty fast. Kudos to Gibson.

If you check over in the Tech Guitars area, you can see that European Gibson support is less easy.

The first response from them went this way:

They requested I send a copy of my receipt for the guitar (despite it already being a confirmed registered purchase with Gibson) and photos of the brass nut damage (which is only about .010" in size so a good macro enabled camera is needed) before they did anything. You might infer that the person who requested these details was unhappy in his work and wanted to share that with us.

They did send me a replacement nickle nut.

A cynical person might suggest that, as Gibson's only have a 12 month warranty in Europe they don't need to send a Titanium Nut, just one that will last the reminder of the warranty.

Ian

Sale of Goods Act 1979 covers you for up to 6 years in the UK. [thumbup]

This law is one of the best in the world for faulty goods protection. Better than the USA even. [biggrin]

Sale of Goods Act 1979 covers you for up to 6 years in the UK. [thumbup]

This law is one of the best in the world for faulty goods protection. Better than the USA even. [biggrin]

Will the UK SOGA cover us for a US company such as Gibson though?

That nickle nut shows no sign of wear so far (I checked yesterday). I thought it would do by now. So far so good.

Will the UK SOGA cover us for a US company such as Gibson though?

That nickle nut shows no sign of wear so far (I checked yesterday). I thought it would do by now. So far so good.

Yeah I think the big distinction is that things must be 'fit for purpose'. If it was just cosmetic such as bubbling finish or yellowing inlays you'd have a hard time but something as important as the nut would definitely be covered.

Fairly sure the SOGA is between you and the retailer not the manufacturer. So shouldn't matter if its imported goods.

That said Digital Village just stopped trading and re-opened as DV247.com didn't they? So I bet its worth very little when dealing with Limited companies alas.

Guest Farnsbarns

I had a bad experience of DV about 15 years ago and will never darken their door again. A lot can change in 15 years but they screwed me over on a price match that they renaged on after we had driven for 2 hours. I made the purchase, the last one I've ever made from them.

I don't know if they still do but as recently ad 2012 Gibson were leaving the lifetime warranty cards in the cases and nowhere did it say that it wasn't valid outside the US. Whether they intended to or not they were giving a life time warranty in the UK.

I had a bad experience of DV about 15 years ago and will never darken their door again. A lot can change in 15 years but they screwed me over on a price match that they renaged on after we had driven for 2 hours. I made the purchase, the last one I've ever made from them.

I don't know if they still do but as recently ad 2012 Gibson were leaving the lifetime warranty cards in the cases and nowhere did it say that it wasn't valid outside the US. Whether they intended to or not they were giving a life time warranty in the UK.

DV went under in May 2013 iirc. They sold some of their retail and distribution assets to German giants 'Music Store' and started trading again as DV247.com. I've had some dodgey items from their Romford store but in fairness they are generally very good about exchanges and refunds. Just don't bother emailing them when it goes wrong - pick up a phone. [biggrin] I think when it comes to the stack em high and sell em cheap approach to business, where typically nobody is involved but a courier and a warehouse operative, you can just shrug off a bad item and fully expect to get a perfectly good one next time round. The prices are always so good etc. [thumbup]

I bought my '15 Trad from DV247 earlier this month which was returned and refunded no quibble. I just got a Classic delivered today that (I am told but I haven't seen it myself yet) is mint and I'm very happy with the service and the price. Swings n roundabouts.

Archived