Gibson Brands Forums

Dr dragonskin

blindboygrunt

Put a set of these on my j45

Not exactly in love with them . They're very quiet . I've been using elixirs for a while which may explain why they sound so quiet but I also find them quite 'sticky' on the fingers .

They feel a little like a set of regular strings that have been on for months , be great for those who like dead sounding strings .

I'm thinking they may be good on the Martin , but I haven't put a set on it yet . That's where the other set is going , won't be going on the Gibson.

I'll give them a while to see how they change , or if they change .

I notice no difference in the lower tension . I did use newtone low tension strings a while back and immediately noticed the difference , but with these there is little difference to normal strings .

They are what you hear on the John prine track I posted , so they do sound alright , but I find them uncomfortable to play and too quiet .

Dadarrio EXP's are fairly similar , but I preferred the dadarrios

I'm generally not a fan of coated strings, but have one guitar on which I like Dragonskins. It's a laminate B&S 000. Can sound kind of harsh, and the DRs seem to tone that down. I've never noticed the stickiness.

Put a set on last month. Hadnt noticed anything wrong with the feel. I dont mind that they are quiet. Some PBs ring out too much for me. It's a good balance for me between PBs and nickel. But then I play old timey, so MMV.

Put a set of these on my j45

Not exactly in love with them . They're very quiet . I've been using elixirs for a while which may explain why they sound so quiet but I also find them quite 'sticky' on the fingers .

They feel a little like a set of regular strings that have been on for months , be great for those who like dead sounding strings .

I'm thinking they may be good on the Martin , but I haven't put a set on it yet . That's where the other set is going , won't be going on the Gibson.

I'll give them a while to see how they change , or if they change .

I notice no difference in the lower tension . I did use newtone low tension strings a while back and immediately noticed the difference , but with these there is little difference to normal strings .

They are what you hear on the John prine track I posted , so they do sound alright , but I find them uncomfortable to play and too quiet .

I have never seen them anywhere or tried them, but it is a great name! :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Put a set on last month. Hadnt noticed anything wrong with the feel. I dont mind that they are quiet. Some PBs ring out too much for me. It's a good balance for me between PBs and nickel. But then I play old timey, so MMV.

Well, this convinces me to try a set, maybe on the Martin in fact, because the Martin is too loud. But I hate that string break-in period. I used to love the D'Addario EXPs, so maybe I'll like these even more. :P Had never considered trying them, but if they're like pre-broken-in D'Addario EXPs, and last as long, I'll be happy.

Edit: Got a set coming Wednesday. $10 isn't too bad. I'll probably put them somewhere and forget to try them for a while, though. I dried out the D'Addario Nickel Bronze recently and was not very impressed (on my J-15). The G-string snapped before I could really give them a fair shake (I think the nut slot might be catching).

Archived