Gibson Brands Forums

A Rough Looking '47-'48 J-50 on reverb.com

bayoubengal1954

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds goo...great job. Wish I had the resources to such things. well done

Auto correct strikes again. Can't make this sh*t up. Only a Gibson is Goo enough.

BayouBen- my hopes were that you'd take her outside for a general glam shot photo to add to the epilogue of this saga.

Best.

Auto correct strikes again. Can't make this sh*t up. Only a Gibson is Goo enough.

BayouBen- my hopes were that you'd take her outside for a general glam shot photo to add to the epilogue of this saga.

Best.

I have access to a camera that is not a phone. We are supposed to have some sunny days coming up and I'll give it a try. I'll try to do a good job. [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...

That's a really cool old guitar. I responded at the start of this thread and thought is was a guitar you should pass on due to it's condition. I take back my original post. I think you made a great choice buying it and bringing it back to life.

Nice shots, BB!

A lick of paint next? [biggrin]

It would look great in my music room next to my L-0!

BluesKing777.

Thanks, Folks. I could only afford a project like this one time and I'm glad (relieved) it sounds so good. Been playing the hell out of it at gigs.

BK, maybe I'll go with this look: [biggrin]

index_zpsevylaawk.jpg

Somehow missed this whole thread until now.

That is a rescue guitar all right, through and through. These are out there, and if they're lucky (and if we're lucky), they catch someone's heart, as has happened here, the heart of someone who is willing to go the extra mile. I hope you enjoy it thoroughly, but you have also done a service to guitarkind and humankind. Hopefully, thanks to your love and good will, that guitar will outlive all of us and will continue on through the ages to others of open and willing, appreciative hearts.

And, to be fair, if you compare what you ended up spending, it is not much more than I spent on a brand new special edition SJ-200, and I did spend more (in trades) on my Hummingbird Vintage than that. It's just a matter of what one wants and how one wants it.

Thanks, Folks. I could only afford a project like this one time and I'm glad (relieved) it sounds so good. Been playing the hell out of it at gigs.

BK, maybe I'll go with this look: [biggrin]

index_zpsevylaawk.jpg

That looks more suited to my L-0!

Approx 50 years ago, under advisement from the very, very serious chap I sat next to at school, I used one like this below to finish my first guitar to the amazement of all and sundry, and I think for the J50 - perfect!:

http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-exterior-products/spray-paint/product-detail?product=13670

BluesKing777.

That looks more suited to my L-0!

Approx 50 years ago, under advisement from the very, very serious chap I sat next to at school, I used one like this below to finish my first guitar to the amazement of all and sundry, and I think for the J50 - perfect!:

http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-exterior-products/spray-paint/product-detail?product=13670

BluesKing777.

Classic!

Somehow missed this whole thread until now.

That is a rescue guitar all right, through and through. These are out there, and if they're lucky (and if we're lucky), they catch someone's heart, as has happened here, the heart of someone who is willing to go the extra mile. I hope you enjoy it thoroughly, but you have also done a service to guitarkind and humankind. Hopefully, thanks to your love and good will, that guitar will outlive all of us and will continue on through the ages to others of open and willing, appreciative hearts.

And, to be fair, if you compare what you ended up spending, it is not much more than I spent on a brand new special edition SJ-200, and I did spend more (in trades) on my Hummingbird Vintage than that. It's just a matter of what one wants and how one wants it.

Thanks, JD. It's been quite an adventure.

Archived