Gibson Brands Forums

oppourtunity knocks...

kidblast

FANTASTIC.

Awesome. Great to hear. What did you do for the lighting?

Odd solution.. I took a goose neck desk lamp, put a blue bulb in it, and put it in a discrete area near one of the speaker stands on the ground.

Never have I heard of a hundred dollar/pound fee and the landlord doubling it

You must’ve been AWESOME

Yea,, I know.. I felt awkward, because we're often times hearing the opposite, and getting short dough from what was agreed due to a light crowd. The mgr said they had one of the best Wednesday nights of their summer. I put the word out on FB, and people (Friends/Family) just came out to support me, there was already a good regular crowd at the time. A few tables mentioned to me on break that they had planned to eat and leave, but they were digging the music, and decided to stay.

It just all fell into place and it was really a great night. I neglected to mention, I was asked to do play two encores. It was past the "Stop time" but the Mgr just gave me the nod, (go for it)..

The weather was tremendous too. A beautiful New England august evening.

Anyone else had an agreed fee doubled?

I’m starting to think I’m crap now !! 😂

Good for you sir

hang on there,, You? Crap? Serioulsy??? nope.. not even close my friend..

In all the years I've been doing this, (do we have to give numbers?) this was just about a first.. While there were times where on New Years Eve parties, we'd get a bit of a tip for all the band mates, or on some functions be asked to play an extra set, and they'd throw a few hundred bucks at us,, but those were few and far between.

Most of the time, it's more like I am getting boned out of 50 bucks because the bar didn't sell enough beer to make the owner happy.... That's been my story more often than not..

I'm nothing special dude..

I'm glad it went so well! Solo singer guitarist is a tough one!

Did you have enough tunes - you were a bit concerned?

Apart from a New Year's Eve gig where they served a 4 course dinner to all customers and didn't know which part to give skinny salivering band members so they gave us the lot, that would be about it. Back 30 years ago, promoters here often just didn't pay you. No Facebook etc to shame them, so they made a practice of not paying. Unless you had a lawyer... but we weren't very good, so it was put down to fun night out.

BluesKing777.

I'm glad it went so well! Solo singer guitarist is a tough one!

Did you have enough tunes - you were a bit concerned?

Apart from a New Year's Eve gig where they served a 4 course dinner to all customers and didn't know which part to give skinny salivering band members so they gave us the lot, that would be about it. Back 30 years ago, promoters here often just didn't pay you. No Facebook etc to shame them, so they made a practice of not paying. Unless you had a lawyer... but we weren't very good, so it was put down to fun night out.

BluesKing777.

I actually tunes to spare.. confessions--- I am so OCD.. the day I agreed to this, I set about, wandering through the weeds with all the songs I know.... arranging and timing out 3 sets, [1st 50 min, 2nd 60, 3rd 45.. very short breaks,, no way was any one gonna ***** about 25 min breaks...

Never doing a solo gig, really needed to be sure my voice (and fingers) would handle the load , so I ran each set, once a day for like 5 days. the entire nights worth..

I was pretty much ready to go. lots of work,, but never having done this before, needed to feel I was good to go.

looking back, it was a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun... I'm hooked..

many times we work with no contracts over here, so the screw job war stories are plenty.. not to mention the double bookings when you show up and some other bands name is on the marquis.... nice! - not.. really...

Never doing a solo gig, really needed to be sure my voice (and fingers) would handle the load , so I ran each set, once a day for like 5 days. the entire nights worth..

I was pretty much ready to go. lots of work,, but never having done this before, needed to feel I was good to go.

looking back, it was a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun... I'm hooked..

Glad to hear it was a big hit, how did your endurance hold up? And the pipes?

I hope your family or friends got some video, if we are lucky you might even share it with us.

I love a story with a happy ending - there usually about hard work and well deserved recognition!

If your set lists are typed up - you could cut and paste a copy here - for those of us who live vicariously - if you can't post a video clip.

Some stories with happy endings are due to pure luck - wasn't the $750M lottery winner in Central Mass? Chicopee? Maybe it was your employer.

Of course, with the Federal Income tax and state income tax - he might have only wound up with half his winnings.

If I were me - I'd buy a frame and hang that $200 up in my music room. CONGRATS !!!!!

Archived