Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP Special II

Ipluckwithmytoe

I purchased a ELP Special II a few weeks back (wondering why I can't search the forms without an leagle character for it) but, the guitar is new, I have done little more than tune it as it's had many problems I had to correct. I am down to the A-string now. The string buzzes no matter what I do. I tried replacing it with a new string and still the buzz. I set the height as high as it would go, still the buzz. The amount of buzz remains the same. The only time it is not present is if I lightly pluck the string, and I mean like use a feather pick light. I have googled it, wish I had before the purchase, and have found hundreds of "answers" but thought I would ask here where there are more chances of getting the right answer.

Thanks.

have you tried adjusting the truss rod a little ? that may work a bit , just don't turn the thing too much or too far or the wrong way try 1/8 of a revolution. Did you get the owners manual and see how to do that ? as well as the "L" shaped hexagon wrench , to adjust the truss rod nut. The manual directly states some fret buzz is normal and to be expected yes it does state that in there somewhere :) good luck try putting a small piece of paper in the string slot on the nut , under the string, to see if raising the nut slot height might help a bit , if it does , get a new nut or get some super glue and baking soda mix it together and then put a little in the nut slot, let it dry and file the nut back into shape with a bit higher slot maybe mask everything off be careful :) good luck if you do anything or fix it let us know thanks :)

I was starting to suspect the nut, looking at it, it seems the A string sits low in there compared to the other strings. The truss rod adjustment as of now seems perfect for all but the A string. If I adjust it to get the A up then it's like an acoustic action actually higher. This is the 3rd Epiphone for me as the first had a wiring issue, the second the switch came broken, was determined to make this one work. Didn't actually think I would have to put this much work in to a new guitar. [flapper]

I was starting to suspect the nut, looking at it, it seems the A string sits low in there compared to the other strings. The truss rod adjustment as of now seems perfect for all but the A string. If I adjust it to get the A up then it's like an acoustic action actually higher. This is the 3rd Epiphone for me as the first had a wiring issue, the second the switch came broken, was determined to make this one work. Didn't actually think I would have to put this much work in to a new guitar. [flapper]

Regardless of the brand or price of a guitar, this is what I do to every guitar I buy. I haven’t used the fret leveling device he uses, but I address problem frets individually. A setup like this, will help you bond with your new guitar, and eliminate issues like you are experiencing. Watch this video if you want to build a good skill set.

I purchased a ELP Special II a few weeks back (wondering why I can't search the forms without an leagle character for it) but, the guitar is new, I have done little more than tune it as it's had many problems I had to correct. I am down to the A-string now. The string buzzes no matter what I do. I tried replacing it with a new string and still the buzz. I set the height as high as it would go, still the buzz. The amount of buzz remains the same. The only time it is not present is if I lightly pluck the string, and I mean like use a feather pick light. I have googled it, wish I had before the purchase, and have found hundreds of "answers" but thought I would ask here where there are more chances of getting the right answer.

Thanks.

I recently purchased an ELP Special 1that I did a few mods on.

I found a few frets that were high that had to be dressed. It was causing dead notes here and there.

It's not perfect but better.

I really like the little thing.

Regardless of the brand or price of a guitar, this is what I do to every guitar I buy. I haven’t used the fret leveling device he uses, but I address problem frets individually. A setup like this, will help you bond with your new guitar, and eliminate issues like you are experiencing. Watch this video if you want to build a good skill set.

I purchased to play not to become a guitar tech. The problems I am having and that you guys are describing aren't what bonds me to a guitar. I suppose I am spoiled having purchased a new Fender back in 19** and I could play it right out of the box, tune it no issues. I even have a IRIN bass that set up perfectly and plays just fine. I can't see it accepted as common place to buy something new that isn't playable. If that's the case they should sell these as "Kits" to be finished by the customer. Anyway that rant being done now I have done a set up on this all the measurements are there even put new strings on it still the A buzz is there and very loud. I had a real tech check it and his advice was to return it as I did the first one that came new with bad electronics. By the way he said the bridge was crooked he showed me one that was straight and the difference isn't much but it's enough to measure. I'm not sure if that is causing the trouble but after spending near what I paid for the thing I think it can go back home. Thanks for the info.

I purchased to play not to become a guitar tech. The problems I am having and that you guys are describing aren't what bonds me to a guitar. I suppose I am spoiled having purchased a new Fender back in 19** and I could play it right out of the box, tune it no issues. I even have a IRIN bass that set up perfectly and plays just fine. I can't see it accepted as common place to buy something new that isn't playable. If that's the case they should sell these as "Kits" to be finished by the customer. Anyway that rant being done now I have done a set up on this all the measurements are there even put new strings on it still the A buzz is there and very loud. I had a real tech check it and his advice was to return it as I did the first one that came new with bad electronics. By the way he said the bridge was crooked he showed me one that was straight and the difference isn't much but it's enough to measure. I'm not sure if that is causing the trouble but after spending near what I paid for the thing I think it can go back home. Thanks for the info.

Forgive me if I gave the impression this is a requirement. Every guitar I’ve bought, only required tuning to play right out of the box. Moving from a novice player to an expert, requires this skill set however, not all guitar players get anywhere near being an expert so the need to learn the skill never arises. Cheers.

Forgive me if I gave the impression this is a requirement. Every guitar I’ve bought, only required tuning to play right out of the box. Moving from a novice player to an expert, requires this skill set however, not all guitar players get anywhere near being an expert so the need to learn the skill never arises. Cheers.

Doing maintenance on a guitar is required but who does it is irrelevant. I totally disagree with your comment.

You don't have to become a tech, but you'll save a lot of money if you learn the basics.

If it's a new guitar, have the store that sold it to you do a set-up. Granted, it's not like you've bought a vintage '59, but you shouldn't have to raise the string height that much just to be able to play it.

I'm going to say this, please don't take this comment the wrong way. You have obtained the least costly Epiphone electric guitar. The Epiphone LP Special II is , most likely , in my own humble opinion, Epiphones "biggest seller" Although these guitars are "mass produced" , and the variation, unit to unit , is kept "under control" to reduce excessive variation,, some "variation" does, in fact , occur :( . Some "fret slap" or "buzz" is not unusual in "these" instruments. It is the "voice" of that instrument, buzz and all :( . Turn up your amp , all the way, and I do believe the buzzing sound will be negligible maybe good luck .Again , try a new nut :) . If you find a solution , or not ...re-post the final outcome , if you are so inclined. good luck :)

I'm going to say this, please don't take this comment the wrong way. You have obtained the least costly Epiphone electric guitar. The Epiphone LP Special II is , most likely , in my own humble opinion, Epiphones "biggest seller" Although these guitars are "mass produced" , and the variation, unit to unit , is kept "under control" to reduce excessive variation,, some "variation" does, in fact , occur :( . Some "fret slap" or "buzz" is not unusual in "these" instruments. It is the "voice" of that instrument, buzz and all :( . Turn up your amp , all the way, and I do believe the buzzing sound will be negligible maybe good luck .Again , try a new nut :) . If you find a solution , or not ...re-post the final outcome , if you are so inclined. good luck :)

Yes I know it was one of if not the cheapest, I actually wanted the travel version but it always seemed out of stock. And true if I turned the amp up all the way then just before the police would come get me I'm sure I would not have heard the buzz but it was apparent at half volume. After reading several threads on this board I am getting the idea that be it Gibson or Epiphone they all require a degree of work to be playable. But like I said previously I didn't but a guitar to become a professional guitar tech. I made this purchase to retrain my hands and head. The vendor took it back and offered an exchange for that I took an Ibanez GRX70QA maybe I'll have better luck.

I checked out that Ibanez thing (google) Looks good to me. Hey Epiphone....see :) too bad about that. I would play that Ibanez thing :) oh yes I would . The bridge on that looks like it takes a tremolo bar....does it ? :) cool instrument there. Too bad about the LP Special II...too bad :( indeed :( you have a better instrument now imho and , I do like Ibanez instruments quite , a lot , actually :) Oh yes I do :) sorry Epiphone :( Well, in this instance , you get what you pay for , maybe...good luck. and , thanks for letting me/us know the final outcome No matter what guitar you might play rock on always right on

peace :)

N3ykljR.jpg

:)

Doing maintenance on a guitar is required but who does it is irrelevant. I totally disagree with your comment.

Nice to meet you! My name is David and I am a Learning Scientist. I study the brain and cognition. I do research into how people learn and how we progress to various stages of mastery of learning objectives. Reaching an expert status includes intimate knowledge of your tools. If you are saying you believe you can become a good guitar player without being a tech, that is possible, there are millions of good guitar players. You will never achieve expert, not many do.

Nice to meet you! My name is David and I am a Learning Scientist. I study the brain and cognition. I do research into how people learn and how we progress to various stages of mastery of learning objectives. Reaching an expert status includes intimate knowledge of your tools. If you are saying you believe you can become a good guitar player without being a tech, that is possible, there are millions of good guitar players. You will never achieve expert, not many do.

Hello David the Learning Scientist, thank you for your input on this. Please provide scientific proof for your hypothesis otherwise it is just an opinion. Oddly enough, everyone has an opinion and just because you are a “Learning Scientist” doesn’t increase the value of your opinion. Have fun studying the brain and cognitive function.

Hello David the Learning Scientist, thank you for your input on this. Please provide scientific proof for your hypothesis otherwise it is just an opinion. Oddly enough, everyone has an opinion and just because you are a “Learning Scientist” doesn’t increase the value of your opinion. Have fun studying the brain and cognitive function.

My opinion doesn’t play a factor, I have no dog in the race, this is pure unbiased science. I was offering advice because I love Epiphone! I can understand where that wasn’t helpful information at that time and place and I apologize. If a discussion on improving skills comes up, that’s a different story. P.S. Had I came up with that hypothesis, I’d be famous, but I’m flattered none the less.

My opinion doesn’t play a factor, I have no dog in the race, this is pure unbiased science. I was offering advice because I love Epiphone! I can understand where that wasn’t helpful information at that time and place and I apologize. If a discussion on improving skills comes up, that’s a different story. P.S. Had I came up with that hypothesis, I’d be famous, but I’m flattered none the less.

Just as suspected, an opinion.

I’m forming an opinion, that you don’t understand science and that U.S. English, isn’t your native language. It’s a fact that I’m done with you.

I am forming an opinion that you are an ignorant troll who goes and says stupid stuff because you are an internet tough guy. Well Mr. Davey Nye, science guy extraordinaire, just because someone doesn’t do all the maintenance on a guitar doesn’t make them not a great player. I am sorry that you are too stupid to recognize that. Go back under your troll bridge.

I just wanna say, if you expect an Ibanez to require less maintenance than a SP II, you'll be disappointed.

Not to be a ****, but if the setup sucks, the store should, and will, set it up for you. I don't see the problem, tbh. New guitar? You should be happy, not mope about having to actually turn a screw or something.

I mean that in the nicest possible way, mmkay?

• 2 weeks later...

post-8127-026958700 1511194191_thumb.jpg

As I've mentioned in previous posts I won one of these in a raffle at a guitar show last April. Jazzed it up with some cosmetic changes, switched out the tuners and gave it a bone nut. I have to say I'm really enjoying this little sucker. It's become a favorite couch guitar. Not bad for Epi's cheapest offering.

Archived