Gibson Brands Forums

Installing Schaller strap locks

sricabla

I here all this stuff about installing the Schaller strap locks. You have to change the screw or whatnot...Isn't installation straight forward, just unscrew the stock screw and install the other one? Please enlighten me on this.

Thanks in advance

There was a recent thread on this. Here is what Are Nine states:

If you use glue than no, the screw won't ever come out. That's the whole point of using glue. Have a look at Schaller's strap locks, they work great. The only thing is the provided screws may be too small for the hole. A lot of people just use the toothpick trick and never have an issue - that's where you place a few toothpicks into the hole (no glue) to fill the void.

I originally used the toothpick trick and placed Shaller's on all my guitars. Then a luthier told me that was a bad idea (I'm sure many here that have tried it would disagree) because the toothpicks will eventually compress and the screw will just come out. I did what he recommeded...and that was to use pieces of hard wood and glue them in place, then also glue the screw in; so, that's what I've done. The screws will never come out.

I can't speak for all Les Pauls but the stock Gibson screws on my historics & Custom are much bigger than the screws that come with the Schallers. Especially, the end pins near the bridge...the stock screws are huge.

Neo once posted a good idea for using the stock Gibson screws. It required enlarging the hole on the Schaller and using the stock Gibson screw.

Lots of guys whine about the different screws and stuff, but, I have schallers in all my guitars and have never had a problem installing them. I just use the screws that come with them, for some you have to screw them a little deeper but that's ok with me, it won't damage the guitar.

I had the same problem when I put strap locks on mine. I didn't really want to use the toothpick method, although I think it works okay, so I posted here and was given good advise from Don (scroll down to Don's reply). If you decide to go that route, you'll need to drill the hole in the strap lock button out a little so the screw will fit through it, and then you'll need to grind down the head of the screw a little so it will fit into the button. I inserted the screw into my drill and turned it while easing the screw head against a disk sander. That gave me a smooth, even cut, but there are a lot of other ways to do it. You just have to remove enough metal so the screw will fit into the hole, so however you do it, grind a little and then check it. The screw I used was just a regular counter-sunk type wood screw. The threads were the same. If I ever want to put the original buttons back on, I can, since I didn't alter anything on the guitar, only on the strap locks.

Who's whining? Here are the screws from my R9. The black one is the one that comes with the Schaller's.

IMG_1355.jpg

I tried what Warren Brown said but ruined three lock buttons in the process. Maybe others have done it but we couldn't make the button holes large enough to accommodate the stock historic screws without cracking button. I realize that sanding down the screw was an option but we didn't take that route. Wood and glue was easy enough.

You could also try the Grosch trick. Use the red rubber tops from Grosch beer bottles along with the stock Gibson strap buttons.

I have a Standard. The Schaller screws went in just fine.

Interesting, the Schaller screws were thinner but deeper than the original holes on both of my Standards. My luthier installed them as R9 described. Maybe no two Les Pauls are alike...

i have a 08 Gibson Les Paul Studio and just put the Schallers on using the stock Gibson screws. the button/screw near the neck needed no mods, but the button and Gibson screw near the bridge did. i had to grind down the screw head (put it in a drill, head sticking out the end) a tiny bit and drill out the button hole a little

turned out perfect

I have an '08 Classic. Unscrewed stock screws, installed Schallers with provided screws, DONE.

The Schaller screws were a little longer but were the same diameter. The stock screw's head was too big to fit through the Schaller.

I have Schallers on some of my guitars. Usually no problem installing them. Where there is a will, there is a way.

One thing I'd like to know from you guys is if your experiences with straps coming loose are the same as mine in the past. On my Les Pauls the strap never came loose on the end of the body side (bridge side) but many times on the neck side.

Anyone have the same experience? I never dropped one though. I'm happy I don't have to worry about it any longer.

I have Schallers on some of my guitars. Usually no problem installing them. Where there is a will' date=' there is a way.

One thing I'd like to know from you guys is if your experiences with straps coming loose are the same as mine in the past. On my Les Pauls the strap never came loose on the end of the body side (bridge side) but many times on the neck side.

Anyone have the same experience? I never dropped one though. I'm happy I don't have to worry about it any longer.[/quote']

before the Schallers, mine has never come loose, but im not one to swing my guitar around like a freakin hula hoop, thats just stupid

i had to use the original screw for the heel strap lock on my sg, which with the new hardware sat to deep in the hole, so i had to put the right sized small washer in between, been sturdy since day 1

ive never head of that toothpick method, that sounds horrid.....=D>

Archived