Gibson Brands Forums

EMG pickups...

DPhillips

It's obvious, that some here don't like EMG's. I can appreciate that. We all have our personal preferences and choices...

However, what I'm curious about is, didn't Clapton use an EMG infused Strat when he recorded "Journeyman" and "24 Nights"? While a monster metal sound won't be liked by everyone, Clapton's lead work, and tone, on the "24 Nights" album (CD) is incredible..

Some of the sound of that CD might be a little too '80's, but the guitar tone is fantastic.

His Strats might not have been EMG's, but if I remember right, that is what they were... Please let me know if I'm wrong.

No no no!!! What have you done?!+:-@

I read that he used his signature strat' date=' which back then had the Fender Lace Sensor pick ups. I love those pick ups. [/quote']

My mistake... I thought I had remembered Fender used EMG's at the time (what was that, 1987, '88)? 'Twas a long time ago...

Great sound on his work, especially the White Room and Bell Bottom Blues solos...

My mistake... I thought I had remembered Fender used EMG's at the time (what was that' date=' 1987, '88)? 'Twas a long time ago...

Great sound on his work, especially the White Room and Bell Bottom Blues solos...[/quote']

I think it was 1989. Looking at the pick ups far away it's hard to tell because there are no exposed magnets. LS are so crisp and clear. My favorite guitar in my collection has them.

That "EMGs are for metal only" thing is an urban legend started by biased fanboys.

They are fine' date=' they sound good, but different and they serve lots of purposes.

That said, if I only had one guitar I wouldn't load it with EMGs.[/quote']

Don't start [-X

BTW, what is your avitar? It's creepy. In a good way. Like, "creature in a horror movie I actually want to see" way.

That "EMGs are for metal only" thing is an urban legend started by biased fanboys..

Do you remember that black 2007 GOTS SG Special I use to have?

It had EMG pickups and sounded fantastic! The guy I sold it to was a jazz player of 10+ years.

Him & I exchanged a few emails after he bought it and he said it's the best jazz guitar he's ever played.

That "EMGs are for metal only" thing is an urban legend started by biased fanboys.

I agree with that completely. I played with a friend of mine a few times rehearsing for a show we did last night, and he played his Schecter bass with EMGs - it was the best solidbody bass sound I've ever heard.

Didn't beat a hollowbody or upright, of course, but that's just my preference.

And we certainly weren't playing metal.

Archived