Gibson Brands Forums

Counterfeit Strings ?

Murph

theres a big post on the epi forum about this.. i emailed D'addario about them regarding design changes of packaging etc to try and clarify a few details which seemed a bit sketchy

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/58221-youre-not-gonna-believe-it/

DAddario recently changed their color code so you could diferentiate between genuine and fake strings, but I think it's a little difficult for most folks.

And like some of you guys I gotta say... WTF!!!???[cursing] who in the world thinks about counterfeiting strings? What are they? 4 bucks a pack? if you include everything it costs to produce them, how much can those guys make out of 'em? (I know they don't go through all the expenses DAddario goes through, like promotion, marketing, research and stuff, but it's got to cost something to make those strings).

Chinese POS strings usually sell for 2 bucks a pack. What are they selling the counterfeits for? 3 bucks? 4? Wouldn't it be better in the long term to just introduce a brand of your own and try to take a chunk of the world market? (of which DA probably has more than 50% right now)

Archived