• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

L6-S Fan Club

#21 User is offline   bigmarkus 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

I've got 3 L6-S Customs from the 70s and 1 of the new ones. The new one has some differences, the pickups are different, but the character of the guitar comes mainly from the use of maple, so it's pretty close, and the necks on the 3 old ones are all a little different from each other anyway. Mine are all natural and I love them dearly, I'm really tall and a Les Paul looks like a ukulele on me, so the wider body is better. I've never sold one from my collection and they'll be buried with me!

#22 User is offline   dlsmusic 

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi!

New member here! Definitely an L6-S fan! I owned an L6-S for about 25 years until it got destroyed in a bad divorce.. [crying] The good news is that I just purchased the limited edition reissue.. Not exactly the same (i.e. different wiring, different pickups, slightly different head stock) but absolutely the same vibe. When I played it for the first time, it felt like I was holding an old friend.. Very happy with my purchase!

#23 User is offline   BluzMaster 

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostJamGuy, on 15 January 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

It had been years since I'd cracked the hood of my L6-S... I kinda thought that at one point I may have replaced one of the original pots that had failed and wanted to check. Good news... I must have had it confused with another guitar, she's untouched in there and clean as can be. I was curious about dating the pots, based on the lower serial number (1219XX), it's hard to tell exactly what year it is but I've always thought it was a 74. The pots dated from the 41st week of 73. It's still impossible to pin down the exact date of the guitar I guess, but it seems likely a 73 or 74.

Anyhow, it was fun to take a peek and see how it was all wired up in there...there's a lot going on to say the least... I'm not sure I'd know where to begin wiring one of these up from scratch!
Posted Image

I know it's a little late. But I pinned mine down to '78 at http://guitardaterpr...org/gibson.aspx . Just punch in your serial number.

#24 User is offline   JamGuy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Mythical State of Jefferson

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostBluzMaster, on 22 July 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

I know it's a little late. But I pinned mine down to '78 at http://guitardaterpr...org/gibson.aspx . Just punch in your serial number.

According to the site, it came back as a 70, 71, or 72... they weren't in production 'til '73 so I guess it may be safe to assume it's a '73... I guess I'll never really know for sure.

#25 User is offline   jdgm 

• Person
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm very late to this (as usual!) but back in the 80s my 1st Gibson was a wine red L6 deluxe - the simpler one - with a narrow 24-fret rosewood board, black humbuckers - Bill Lawrence? - and the "chainsaw" case. I should never have sold it, what a dumbo....wish I still had that one etc etc.
Regards!

#26 User is offline   CcZaphod 

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I just traded my 1978 Deluxe in for a Fender American Deluxe Strat -- along with emptying my EBay account that brought the price down to something that got through the appropriations committee.

Miss it though, now I"m looking for a mid 70's L6-S Custom, it would be fun to play with the various options. My Deluxe strat has the S1 switching, it requires a cheat sheet to figure out which of the 10 settings you want [confused]

Posted Image
2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2012 Gibson SG Vintage Burst 70's Tribute
2008 Fender American Hardtail Stratocaster (Billy Corgan Artist Series)
2013 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

#27 User is offline   Nad 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

Here's a pic of my L6-S. It's all original and I believe its a 73. Cherry Sunburst with Ebony fret board. I ran the serial number through the database and it also came back as a 70, 71, or 72. A few years ago i checked the pot dates and got November 1973 so I'm guessing its late 73 or maybe early 74.

Posted Image

#28 User is offline   jdgm 

• Person
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostNad, on 14 August 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

Oh that is nice!!!
And the sunbursts are rare too.
GAS!!

#29 User is online   capmaster 

• Advanced Member
  • Locationnear Munich, Upper Bavaria, Germany

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

In the early 1980s I saw and heard two guitarists of the local scene play the natural finished original L6-S which later had been called Custom. Production had ceased already two years ago I think.
Since that time I always was interested in buying a used L6S.

Then in 2011 there appeared a remake which was far from the original from the peghead down to pickups and bridge. However, I checked out one in Antique Natural and bought it on May 18th, 2012.

On July 1st, 2012 I finally found a used one and drove 1650 kilometers (about 1000 miles) to buy it. Sadly there are troubles with workmanship since the bushings for the bridge screws are slanted in a different angle, and so the bridge is broken around the screw on the bass side. I tried with spare parts from the USA made in Japan if it might work better, but it didn't help.

Another strange find was that touching of the neck pickup led to loud hum when it was active. I discovered that the neck pickup's plate and cover weren't grounded which I later found on detailed pics on the web on another L6-S, too. I created a dedicated ground connection for the neck pickup.

On June 1st, 2013 I bought the last 2011 L6S Thomann had in stock. It has a Silverburst finish. I just had to have it since my 2011 L6S is one of my favorites for practicing, for the 24 frets as well as for its tonal flexibility.

On both the 2011 L6Ses I rewired the 2nd tone control from between volume pot and output to between six-position selector switch out and volume pot. This makes it much more effective when connecting the guitar to a 1 MegOhms load as I usually do.

I don't own a digital camera, and so I will post pics after returning of the drummer of my band from his vacation.
DVCVNT VOLENTEM FATA NOLENTEM TRAHVNT
(The Fates lead the willing and drag those who are unwilling.)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

#30 User is offline   Nad 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

View Postjdgm, on 15 August 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Oh that is nice!!!
And the sunbursts are rare too.
GAS!!
l
Thanks, it plays beautifully, very low action no buzzes or rattles. The ebony fingerboard has a beautiful feel to it.

#31 User is offline   JamGuy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationThe Mythical State of Jefferson

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

I do like the look of the ebony board... very nice indeed. Thanks all for keeping this thread alive! (and for posting pics! [thumbup])

#32 User is offline   btoth76 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLenyvr, Hungary

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Hello! Meet "Hilda":

Posted Image

Cheers... Bence

2010 Gibson LP Studio 50's Tribute GT - 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom AN - 1978 Gibson LP Recording WB - 2011 Gibson L6S SB
2010 Fender FSR Standard Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde (Baja modded)

Bhm-Regent amplification
VOX Wah V845 - Ibanez effects - Zoom MS-50G - Stereo Tremolo Pan - EP Booster - Diablo Plus
Bayus straps (http://bayus.eu)

#33 User is offline   Guitar God 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationGray, TN

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

Here's my 1975 L6-S:
Posted Image
My gear list:
2000 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2007 Gibson Les Paul Studio
1982 Gibson Les Paul Custom
1985 Gibson Explorer
1975 Gibson L6-S
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard(upgraded with DiMarzio Super Distortion and Humbucker From Hell pickups)
2003 Epiphone SG
2006 Epiphone Dot Deluxe
2004 Fender U.S.A 50th Anniversary Stratocaster(white and upgraded with Lace Holy Grail pickups, Fender locking tuners and a crme pearl pickguard and back plate)
2004 Fender Mexican 50th Anniversary Stratocaster (gold)
Fender U.S.A Highway One Telecaster
Paul Reed Smith SE 245
2008 Fender Classic 60's Mexican Stratocaster(Lake Placid Blue)
2007 Squier Telecaster(upgraded with Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups and Fender locking tuners)
Silvertone Paul Stanley Sovereign
2011 ESP M-2(the bolt on one with Seymour Duncan JB/'59 pickups and a maple fingerboard)
2008 ESP/LTD M-1000
2007 Ibanez Prestige RG2610E
2008 Ibanez RG350EX(upgraded with DiMarzio Tone Zone/Fast Track 1/PAF Pro pickups)
2006 Ibanez SZ520(upgraded with Seymour Duncan Blackouts)
2002 Dean '79 Series V
1990 Ovation Legend 1767 acoustic/electric
2005 Ibanez Talman acoustic/electric
2014 Fender Standard M.I.M Jazz Bass
1989 Marshall JCM 800 2210
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 cabinet
Peavey Triple X 2x12 combo with matching 2x12 cab
Peavey Valve King halfstack
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Blues Junior
Kustom Coupe '36
Roland Cube 20XL 20 watt