Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Valve Jr... what are they worth?

KVL

So I found an Epi Valve Jr combo for sale on my local Craigslist.

Anything I should be aware of? I've read about some having a humming problem here.

What are they worth? I dont want to over pay. Money is tight.

So I found an Epi Valve Jr combo for sale on my local Craigslist.

Anything I should be aware of? I've read about some having a humming problem here.

What are they worth? I dont want to over pay. Money is tight.

There were three versions of the VJ ... I believe it was only the version 1 models with the infamous hum/buzz .... I have one of those (combo) I got for about $60 on CL a few years back, in like new condition.....complete with hum/buzz, but I don't mind because it's a dirty li'l amp anyway I think they fixed it with the second version (DC heaters, different transformer, I think) ... I also have a version 3 head'n'cab, brand new in box w/ warranty for $150 on eBay a couple of years ago......nice and quiet, until you start picking ;) You should be able to find a later model combo for well under $100 easily, I'd imagine .... my better half doesn't want any more amps in the house, so I don't even look any more.

Only thing I can think of to look out for is "varnish" of sorts on the heater fuse contacts....amp will "power up" but no sound....easy 5 minute fix, scraping away the "varnish" with a green scratchy scrubbing pad commonly found in kitchens...fwiw

Yes yes yes !!!!!! What RSD says.........I also bought the 1/2 stack for $150.00 MINT......Nice little loud amp....Very simple.....

So, be aware of which year combo it is........I don't know how to tell though.......

So, be aware of which year combo it is........I don't know how to tell though.......

By serial number, although the format/version change escapes me anymore ..... oh so much info to be found on Valve Jrs at single ended amp forum sewatt.com - have to register but there's an entire subforum for VJs with enough info to make one's head hurt...and spin [biggrin]

By serial number, although the format/version change escapes me anymore ..... oh so much info to be found on Valve Jrs at single ended amp forum sewatt.com - have to register but there's an entire subforum for VJs with enough info to make one's head hurt...and spin [biggrin]

Great info for the O.P.

Oh, and, thanks, I just joined that forum.......

• 1 month later...

If you have a V2 or V3

the OT will be either 7K or 5K. 7K is the wrong size.. later changed.

I have the 5K OT.. in fact a boxful of them.

That helps the tube and the tone.

A real upgrade to these is the Fender Style Classic Tone OT, triodeelectronics.com, which will do wonders for the amp..

But the real selling point of these is they take modification and really really get sweet.

First, the voltages are often way off in the stock version. Eating up the power tube by going well past 320V max at the plate.

Second, they used some 22uF caps that would be MUCH better for tone and esp in the lows by using 1uF to 4.7uF.

I"ve modded about 35 or so of them over the last several years. There's one of mine on Ebay right now.. it appears to be at 127.00..

which is Crazy good price considering it's fully modified with primo parts.

I change the cosmetics a bit..

TBE77el34final001.jpg

depending on what people want.

IMG_VJ1.jpg

and sometimes they want an EL34 (ten watt) power tube..

EL34whitepearl005.jpg

EL34boardnewIII004.jpg

or even a 6V6 plexi

DSC_0407-1.jpg

right now I'm building a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe into a VJ head.

and sometimes I build a marshall.. using Raven used cabinets.

superliteIIlast007.jpg

my point is.. it's a nice enough amp dead stock for a good many uses.. but can be boutiqued and even totally different

with some effort.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OT is the output transformer.

Here is a stock one on the Epi VJ Head. I picked this up mint used for under $100. It sounds far better than the preivous version one VJs I had. The first did not hum and, had alright tone. The second one had a nice tone but, was a hum monster. The tubes it has are Sovtek EL84 and an EH 12AX7. This head sounds five times better than the other two I had before. Here is a shot of the OT:

DSC02172_zps0072ab71.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I must have 'lucked on' 'cos I bought a v3 junior 4 years ago, love the sound, no hums or probs thus far. I was shocked at it's volume, need an attenuator so I can use it more regularly, I've only considered any modding as I love to tinker and customize stuff. Nothing I own is original! I run a digitech rp 255 into it and get some awesome sound. Sounds good overdriven without effects as well, just steering it with the guitar controls.I've read a lot of bad reviews on other forums, and have come to realise that a lot of the posters are 14 year old dickweeds who wouldn't know **** from clay about anything. ie, ' had this LP, amp, pedal etc for a day and would definitely gig / not gig with it' or 10 mins of ranting only to finish with 'I can't wait for it to arrive'.......

Archived