Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup question on a SG

EvoRider

there is a guy on craiglist that has the stock pickups for sale off a gibson sg standard 2005 model. he says he dont know what model pickups they are the only thing written on them is Gibson USA. I was thinking about buying then to install on my Epip sg. is there any way to know what they are??

Should be 498T and 490R, you could measure the DC resistance the 498T should be about 14kohms

Will these pickups be any better than my stock Epiphone G-400 pickups?

A good starting point would be what are you wanting from a set of pickups. Hotter? Mellower? More of a vintage tone? A more modern sound? What don't you like about your current pickups? Switching to a 490/498 might not be any better for you depending on what you're wanting.

A good starting point would be what are you wanting from a set of pickups. Hotter? Mellower? More of a vintage tone? A more modern sound? What don't you like about your current pickups? Switching to a 490/498 might not be any better for you depending on what you're wanting.

Just trying to get a better Angus Young tone out of my epip... I like the tone of my g-400 i was just wanting to improve it a little... without spending a fortune...

I really don't know how the g400 pups compare to a 490/498 combo but I think I remember reading Angus used T-Top pickups. Those were an alnico 5 magnet wound to like 7.5k? 57 Classics would probably get you closer than a the ones you're looking at.

there is a guy on craiglist that has the stock pickups for sale off a gibson sg standard 2005 model. he says he dont know what model pickups they are the only thing written on them is Gibson USA. I was thinking about buying then to install on my Epip sg. is there any way to know what they are??

They'll be better PUs than your Epi stock PUs.....Angus tone ??? That's very subjective, as the "Angus Tone" thread shows.....

Used, I, myself, wouldn't pay more than $50.00 each, $100.00 for the set......

I don't know where you are in Tennessee but a few days ago somebody posted an Angus Young pickup for sale on craigslist here in Nashville for $75, the ad is still up but you know how it is.

Edit: I see the SG 2005 set you talk about, you must be in the Nashville area.

I'd go for the Angus myself, you don't need a new neck pickup to play AC/DC.

Like Angus says why would I switch to the neck pickup when I can get so many different sound by strumming/picking on different spots?

I don't know where you are in Tennessee but a few days ago somebody posted an Angus Young pickup for sale on craigslist here in Nashville for $75, the ad is still up but you know how it is.

Edit: I see the SG 2005 set you talk about, you must be in the Nashville area.

I'd go for the Angus myself, you don't need a new neck pickup to play AC/DC.

Like Angus says why would I switch to the neck pickup when I can get so many different sound by strumming/picking on different spots?

did not see thew angus pickup on there.. I will check it out.. I live about 95 miles south of nashville... How would i know for sure it is the real angus young signature pickup??

I use the Stock SG pick-ups and love them. They work well with an older Marshall pre-amp section. You really need to hear them through your amp and the way you play to decide....

My 2 C's

Andy

Well, he's got the box for it...I would imagine there is an identifying label on the back.

http://nashville.cra...3110766094.html

Well i bought this. it is on the way to me should be here saturday. My question is in his post for the pickup his angus young pickup reads 9.5 ohms. Last night I took the wires loose from my Epip G-400 bridge pickup and it reads 13.2 ohms. Whould that make the stock pickup hotter than the Angus Young signature? Am i screwing up?? or will it give me a better tone??

13.2Kohms makes for a hotter pickup, much hotter than the 9.5Kohms but 9.5 is plenty enough, and I mean plenty.

Like it has been said Angus does not play with a ton of gain but his sound has balls, so the pikcup should be perfect, I mean it is his signature pickup after all.

The only issue you may run into is that the neck pickup in your guitar may be too loud when paired with the Angus pickup, this may be an issue if you use the neck pickup but what you can do is lower it to balance the pickup output between the two.

I have an Explorer with stock pickups and plan to replace them with Classic '57 that read between 8 and 9kohms, the current 500T pickup reads a scorching 16.9Kohms, you can grill a steak on that thing.

13.2Kohms makes for a hotter pickup, much hotter than the 9.5Kohms but 9.5 is plenty enough, and I mean plenty.

Like it has been said Angus does not play with a ton of gain but his sound has balls, so the pikcup should be perfect, I mean it is his signature pickup after all.

The only issue you may run into is that the neck pickup in your guitar may be too loud when paired with the Angus pickup, this may be an issue if you use the neck pickup but what you can do is lower it to balance the pickup output between the two.

I have an Explorer with stock pickups and plan to replace them with Classic '57 that read between 8 and 9kohms, the current 500T pickup reads a scorching 16.9Kohms, you can grill a steak on that thing.

Well is the Angus pickup better than the stock epiphone pickup? even when the epip pickup is a higher output..[confused]

Yea, better quality of sound, output is simply how hot pickup is, higher output does not mean better.

[thumbup] Thanks for the info.. I was a little worried.....

I think higher output pickups are over rated. Unless you are playing high octane metal where you need that extra gain, lower output pickups like 57s and 57+ will give you sweeter highs, richer mids, and bring out more of the wood tone of the guitar. You might have to crank your amp more to hit that sweet spot, but if your playing rock why are playing quietly?

Well i installed the pickup and it sounded like crap.. was real shrill sounding Had no lows. basicaly all in all sounded like crap.. so i reinstall my original pickup and it is back to normal.. Has anybody had this experience with the Angus Young siginature...

Well i installed the pickup and it sounded like crap.. was real shrill sounding Had no lows.

Did you wire it properly? I ask this because it is a four conductor pickup and, as such, it has to be wired differently than a two conductor pup.

Did you wire it properly? I ask this because it is a four conductor pickup and, as such, it has to be wired differently than a two conductor pup.

I connected the green and white together and the bare and black to pot ground and red to pot connecter. Isnt that the correct way go wire it up?

I connected the green and white together and the bare and black to pot ground and red to pot connecter. Isnt that the correct way go wire it up?

Sounds like you did it correctly - assuming by pot you mean the casing (back) and that by pot connecter you mean lug 3. What did you do with the green and white after you wired them together? Did you tape them off so they couldn't connect to anything else? Here are a couple diagrams.

gibson-1.gif

vt-pots.gif

Sounds like you did it correctly - assuming by pot you mean the casing (back) and that by pot connecter you mean lug 3. What did you do with the green and white after you wired them together? Did you tape them off so they couldn't connect to anything else? Here are a couple diagrams.

gibson-1.gif

vt-pots.gif

Yes i connected them to the back of the pot and the red to connecter 3. the green and white solder together and tape up.. after i got finished i retuned the guitar hooked up to my marshall class 5 anf found out before my volume was on 4. it gave a really nice breakup. after i installed the AY signature i had thw vol maxed out on 10 and very little breakup. even when i readjust the bass and treble. also noticed it had no low end sound at all. So i thought i might have screw something so i reinstalled the epip pickup and everything starded sounding back to normal...

Archived