Gibson Brands Forums

Question about grounding the bridge

Rabs

So I am making my own guitar at the moment (as some of you know :)).. And have started thinking about electronics and hardware and stuff...

I have heard people talk about bad or lack of grounding can cause hum and stuff.. but dont know much about it..

So does anyone know? Do I have to ground the bridge and stoptail?

Ive seen that all you do is run a wire from the bottom of the bridge screws into the control cavity (I still have a bit to read up on all this)...

Any advice will be appreciated...

Also one other thing while im at it... Ive also seen that some builders line the inside of the control cavity with metal... Never seen that on a LP.. But I have seen a plate used sometimes.. or in the case of my 2008 Standard a circuit board (that I wont be using on my build).. Whats the reasons for the plate or lining, and is it really necessary? (which i didnt think it was).

Not unless you're using plastic safely of some sort. The point isn't really to ground the bridge but to ground the strings. Otherwise they will act as a huge antenna for 50 cycle hum and your pickups will send thst your amp.

The control cavity plate isn't critical so long as you ground the components well.

Not unless you're using plastic safely of some sort. The point isn't really to ground the bridge but to ground the strings. Otherwise they will act as a huge antenna for 50 cycle hum and your pickups will send thst your amp.

The control cavity plate isn't critical so long as you ground the components well.

Cool.. understood.. thanks :)

Also one more.. 500k or 300k pots.. have no idea on the dffereces between those either?

Also one more.. 500k or 300k pots.. have no idea on the dffereces between those either?

Go 500k...Gibson uses 300k...because...aliens. (+1 if you get the reference ;))

Edit: I should probably add that you might want to try 300k or 250k if you're doing P90's or something of the sort. For Humbuckers, 500k all the way.

Personally, I like to go bone-stock vintage spec and modify from there. I think it gives a better reference to what others might describe, and to what I think I am hearing myself.

That means 500k volume and tone for humbucks, if that's the premise.

Difference between the 2, in short: (get it? in short! I slay myself). The pot in a guitar actually gives "resistance to ground" or resistance to a dead short. A dead short means all signal travels to ground, and no signal passes the circuitry. 500K gives it that much resistance. The greater the resistance, the more volume and output, in this case.

..Just adding,that Strat`s uses 250k pots for single-coils!

500k`s (or 550k) would be good choice for a humbucker-guitar!I`ve used mostly CTS pots 500K`s ,I like them! :)

-Yes,Ground from bridge to the top of one of the pots ,and a wire that goes around "in circle" to the top of the other pots..

..Also solder ground from output-jack to one of the pots ,(..as well as both of the humbuckers,wire-shieldings (ground) should be point-soldered to the top of one of the pots)..Then you should be good to go ! [thumbup]

Modern wiring or 50`s style wiring? You choose,easy to re-solder it if you dont get the hang of it!

That plate you are mentioning,are/is a "grounding-pool" , They started using the metal plate in 1977 at the same time they started using the long shaft pots for the thicker tops. It was an easy way for the factory to mount the long shaft pots and install them in the LP's. The metal plates were replaced in 2008 by the PCB boards, expect for the LP Classic and Traditional models.

..and I had that plate in a former Joe Bonamassa Studio LP, before I removed/modded it to a more "classic style" of grounding..My impression of why many people have removed them,is,They prefer it the "old classic way" ! :)

Cheers

Rabs,

Ground the bridge as explained above...or...ground the tailpiece if you want to use string saver saddles.

(they are non conductive)

The four basic styles are diagrammed here:

(1st four.......everything else is a variation)

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4555-post2.html

Modern Dependent: Stock on most Gibson and Epiphone.

In center position the volumes work together.

(Shutting off one volume will shut off both pickups.)

Some consider it easier to work with than 50's.

Many that keep their controls at 10 and only use their amp for tone like it.

Disadvantage:

As the volume rolls off, the tone darkens.

Can be corrected with "treble bleed" but most do not like them.

50's Dependent:

Just a matter of moving the location of the capacitor.

In center position the volumes work together.

(Shutting off one volume will shut off both pickups.)

Provides a warmer "woodier" some would say richer fuller sound.

Disadvantage:

As the tone is rolled off the volume drops slightly.

Takes a bit of practice to get used to.

Independent Volumes: 50's and modern

Same basic characteristics as above with the addition of the volumes working independent of each other in center position.

Disadvantage:

Some say it is a tone killer...others say they get a better more controlled mix.

Although there is some adjustment in each range, it basically breaks your volumes up into soft, medium and loud.

Other things you may (or may not) be interested in:

(Volume pot taper count ups....includes explanation of tapers)

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/225271-volume-pot-taper-count-ups.html

Basic FAQs:

Guitar Wiring FAQs

(Pickup and switch Faqs are at bottom of page)

Hope others are of more help,

Willy

Rabs,

Ground the bridge as explained above...or...ground the tailpiece if you want to use string saver saddles.

(they are non conductive)

The four basic styles are diagrammed here:

(1st four.......everything else is a variation)

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4555-post2.html

Hope others are of more help,

Willy

Wow thanks a lot for that.. Im almost but not quite at this stage, just thinking about it all and what my options are (so so much to learn :))..

Thats very helpful and I have saved the page to refer back to once I get my pups and pots ordered.

I was just going to copy one of my Gibsons and use that as a diagram :) but this is all really good to know cheers [thumbup]

I just put together a Tele with some Vintage Noiseless pickups. I grounded it to the bridge too. I still have a small amount of hum and my next step is to do a Faraday cage. I'm going to paint the cavities will conductive paint. In your case you may just need to put some conductive tape on the pick guard.

4446903188_8bbb6ff878_b.jpg

Hope it helps.

The volume count ups were particularly helpful in my learning curve.

(it was one winters spare studio time)

Unfortunately, the website is jammed this afternoon.

Thus, the connection is poor at best.

Willy

Cheers man..

I have a thread about my build here if your interested.. Just cut the body yesterday :)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/94643-my-new-project-turn-a-door-into-a-guitar/

I just put together a Tele with some Vintage Noiseless pickups. I grounded it to the bridge too. I still have a small amount of hum and my next step is to do a Faraday cage. I'm going to paint the cavities will conductive paint. In your case you may just need to put some conductive tape on the pick guard.

Hehe... looks good [thumbup]

hopefully just a standard setup ala Gibson will be good enough.. All part of the learning curve I guess :)

Archived