Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring Advice

Rabs

So as many of you know im making my own guitar.. The pups are on the way and I have pretty much all the bits I need (apart from the wire itself :))...

So ive been looking into the different styles of wiring (which there are many)... But I can find much on what the actuall differences in sound are meant to be?? I assume that the modern wiring is done that way for good reason but then imagine that people think that having the old style wiring gives you a more classic sound??

All very confusing.. So can anyone give me any advice on which one to go for? Im getting a P90 for the neck and a Humbucker for the bridge and some orange drop caps.

My main questions are whats a good wiring type, what sort of thickness/quality wire to use.

Heres some diagrams Ive found..

This is the most clear to me

sheratonII20wiring_zpsc772f3d0.jpg

Then you got the Gibson type diagrams

50s type

wiring50s_zpse9bc7a0d.jpg

Then there was one called 50s with independant volume controls.. Is that something different to standard?

wiring50sInd_zpsbe180849.jpg

Then theres the modern style

wiringModern_zps40cb5d8a.jpg

And Modern with independant volume controls

wiringModernInd_zps4e0b8ced.jpg

Any advice will be appreciated :)

Independent volume controls means that while you have both pickups active, you can turn the volume completely down on one of them and it will mute only that one, not both like in standard.

the difference between 50s style and modern wiring looks to me like just two different ways of achieving the same result with the tone pots. but I might be missing some little nuance with the workings of the capacitors or something.

I'm not sure the different types of capactors available really do all that much, apart from the mfd value they provide (higher value means more frequencies are scooped out).

I would consider doing this with the tone pots though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3SlH-cEAg

this guy has a LOT of useful vids.

in any case, when DIY wiring, I always look at different schematics to figure out exactly what is happening at every point along the wires, and then making my own schematic for what I want. I think it's important to know why I'm doing what I'm doing, what the pots, push/pulls and switches actually do, and if something goes wrong it makes it a LOT easier to figure out what and why.

Independent volume controls means that while you have both pickups active, you can turn the volume completely down on one of them and it will mute only that one, not both like in standard.

the difference between 50s style and modern wiring looks to me like just two different ways of achieving the same result with the tone pots. but I might be missing some little nuance with the workings of the capacitors or something.

I'm not sure the different types of capactors available really do all that much, apart from the mfd value they provide (higher value means more frequencies are scooped out).

I would consider doing this with the tone pots though:

this guy has a LOT of useful vids.

in any case, when DIY wiring, I always look at different schematics to figure out exactly what is happening at every point along the wires, and then making my own schematic for what I want. I think it's important to know why I'm doing what I'm doing, what the pots, push/pulls and switches actually do, and if something goes wrong it makes it a LOT easier to figure out what and why.

Cheers man.. More useful stuff.. I will check his channel out on youtube [thumbup]

He is indeed and they are on the way :)

I'd go with his suggestions.

My experience is that modern and fifties wiring don't really behave that much differently. They just interact a little differently. The main issue is to prevent the highs from rolling off too much when you turn the volume down. Neither one really does that.

The best wiring IMO is modern wiring with treble bleed circuits on the volume pots. Like this. It DOES prevent the highs from rolling off. Use a 680p cap and a resistor that's 0.6 times the volume pot value, like for 300k pots use a 180k resistor or for 500k pots use a 300k resistor. Just twist the cap and resistors together and solder them across the volume pot.

volkit_howto.gif

The first time you hear it, it sounds pretty weird to turn the volume down and not have it get muddy. Especially with a strat.

I'd go with his suggestions.

My experience is that modern and fifties wiring don't really behave that much differently. They just interact a little differently. The main issue is to prevent the highs from rolling off too much when you turn the volume down. Neither one really does that.

The best wiring IMO is modern wiring with treble bleed circuits on the volume pots. Like this. It DOES prevent the highs from rolling off. Use a 680p cap and a resistor that's 0.6 times the volume pot value, like for 300k pots use a 180k resistor or for 500k pots use a 300k resistor. Just twist the cap and resistors together and solder them across the volume pot.

The first time you hear it, it sounds pretty weird to turn the volume down and not have it get muddy. Especially with a strat.

Cheers and yes I have asked Searcy but he has not replied as of yet.. Im sure hes just busy...

Man theres just so many options.. A fair amount of it goes over my head still cos I dont know much about electronics so theres a lot I have to understand first.. Chances are I will just copy one of my other guitars that I know works lol..

The only thing im wondering about (which is why I started this thread) is if having a P90 and Humbucker set up makes any difference to how you would wire it..

Seymour Duncan hosts a bunch of different wiring diagrams, that are fun to look at and think about.

Here's a link:

seymour duncan wiring diagrams

Their take on the 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, 2 tones, 3 way switch layout:

2 HB 2 V 2 T 3 Way

Don

I went through all of their wiring options and couldnt actually find one for a P90 at the neck and Humbucker at the bridge..

I did find this on another forum though where someone had made it up form the SD site.

customzp_zps0a192277.jpg

I went through all of their wiring options and couldnt actually find one for a P90 at the neck and Humbucker at the bridge..

I did find this on another forum though where someone had made it up form the SD site.

customzp_zps0a192277.jpg

Yes - There's nothing special about wiring one single coil and one humbucker. Just hook them up as if they're both the same kind of pickup.

Rabs, a diversity of wiring diagrams for the guitar is, in fact, a consequence of searches to correct some shortages in a sound of electric guitar. Even a piezo pickup on electric guitar, this was also a some search to add to the sound. Now electric guitar in passive indeed is too dependent on other devices (preamp, amp etc.). And these diagrams, their profit, obviously, also will be dependent on those devices. I.e. it is necessary to try in a concrete environment of devices to select a diagram. Though, indeed, a pair of P-90 pickup and a humbucker is,possibly , one of the most reliable combination of pickups now, one powerful single pickup and one humbucker, because two humbuckers have their own specific defect.

Rabs, a diversity of wiring diagrams for the guitar is, in fact, a consequence of searches to correct some shortages in a sound of electric guitar. Even a piezo pickup on electric guitar, this was also a some search to add to the sound. Now electric guitar in passive indeed is too dependent on other devices (preamp, amp etc.). And these diagrams, their profit, obviously, also will be dependent on those devices. I.e. it is necessary to try in a concrete environment of devices to select a diagram. Though indeed a pair of P-90 pickup and a humbucker is one of the most reliable combination of pickups now, one single pickup and one humbucker, because two humbuckers have their own specific defect.

So are you sayig that I shoul djust go for a standard stock modern wiring?

So are you sayig that I shoul djust go for a standard stock modern wiring?

I think so. It's still best to check 2-3 different variants for your guitar, its body is, it seems, of a door :) . But, indeed, you can start with a standard variant, yep, I think. After play a bit and feel your guitar with this standard, and after change the standard variant to any another and see how much it affected in sound. According to this then you can make the right decision, maybe, stop in search if guitar sound has not changed much. Though, the variant of a combination of P-90 and a humbucker is interesting, true is, I really did not have this combination, therefore, it is better what others say who have already tried.

I think so. It's still best to check 2-3 different variants for your guitar, its body is, it seems, of a door :) . But, indeed, you can start with a standard variant, yep, I think. After play a bit and feel your guitar with this standard, and after change the standard variant to any another and see how much it affected in sound. According to this then you can make the right decision, maybe, stop in search if guitar sound has not changed much. Though, the variant of a combination of P-90 and a humbucker is interesting, true is, I really did not have this combination, therefore, it is better what others say who have already tried.

This is why I am asking for advice in hopes of finding someone whos done this before.. :)

So either no one knows for sure or they dont want to comment... I dont want to have to re-solder the whole thing over and over again cos every time you do that you increase the risk of something going wrong.

I think in the end I will copy one of my Gibson set ups.. And go from there .. Its all an experiment really. If I get it right first time around I will be surprised ;)

And thank you for your input.

Archived