Gibson Brands Forums

'44 Banner

Buc McMaster

Here's one you don't see everyday: a 1944 Banner 45 with a mahogany top. One of those from the war years when spruce was not as readily available.......at least that's how the story goes. Looks to be quite the player........ Nice warm tone in Jake's sound clip. I know he played Martin but some of the tones I hear sound very much like early Neil Young tones to my ears.

1944 J-45 Banner

I don't play guitar any longer but I do watch 'em!

The Hog Banners occupy their own special place among the Banner flat tops. One of author/expat forumite John Thomas' favorites. To flat pick it only (is this what Buc was referring to when saying Wildwood Jake's sound clip was being played "Martin"?) is to leave so much more of this guitar's strong suit on the table. They can be thunderous chord chunkers, exhibiting less headroom than spruce, but instead of being limited by it, it only takes that energy and converts it into more boom.

Jake mentions that his consignment guitar has a rosewood board, but it looks more like the Gumwood (Sweet Gum) boards that were used in the banner era. Also strange that it seems to have a one-piece neck when most Banners had 3 or 5 piece necks, with walnut strip laminated in for more stability:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-22%20at%2011.35.27%20AM_zps52piodep.png

Nice guitar Jake has there.

The Hog Banners occupy their own special place among the Banner flat tops. One of author/expat forumite John Thomas' favorites.

Expat no more! (Seeing as how it's been several months since the mother ship threatened me ...)

I do love the mahogany Banners! As Tom points out, the LG-1 was mahogany-topped by design. In addition, by late 1943-early 1044, the J-45 and LG-2 also sported, on occasion, mahogany topped. I love the clear, crisp sound of these guitars. Here's my comparison of vintage and modern versions of the LG-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPN5lVbirzY

(PS on edit: that replacement bridge on the guitar in the OP is, uh, less than impressive.)

(PS on edit: that replacement bridge on the guitar in the OP is, uh, less than impressive.)

At least someone could have taken a few extra minutes to slot through properly for the saddle, since apparently they re-used the original saddle. It took as long to modify the saddle as it would have taken to slot the bridge.

Sort of makes you wonder what other questionable decisions were made.

On the plus side, the guitar is probably priced about right, given the number of "revisions" that have been made.

That little backstory bit was pretty damn funny, John. Also enjoyed the instrumental of Buddy's Everyday. Especially the intro. Buddy would be happy to be having his song still being done to this day. Love your Hog Banner LG-2.

Yes, the bridge on the Antebellum guitar could be just a wee bit more authentic in the saddle dept., but the "ask" reflects that, and the orig. sunburst on the guitar is just cool. I still wonder about the neck, though. Could it be a late 1945, as they went back to mahogany necks in '46?

That little backstory bit was pretty damn funny, John. Also enjoyed the instrumental of Buddy's Everyday. Especially the intro. Buddy would be happy to be having his song still being done to this day. Love your Hog Banner LG-2.

Yes, the bridge on the Antebellum guitar could be just a wee bit more authentic in the saddle dept., but the "ask" reflects that, and the orig. sunburst on the guitar is just cool. I still wonder about the neck, though. Could it be a late 1945, as they went back to mahogany necks in '46?

Thanks for the kind words! It was an, uh, interesting experience. (Oh, and it's an LG-1, which during the War years were X-braced and sported fancy purfings and rosettes).

That bridge is also poorly shaped. What bothers me is the seller's apparent intention to slap similar bridges on other vintage Gibsons: "This looks very, very close to an original bridge and I bought a whole heap of these online from a vendor who was selling various vintage parts." Ugh.

Thanks for the kind words! It was an, uh, interesting experience. (Oh, and it's an LG-1, which during the War years were X-braced and sported fancy purfings and rosettes).

That bridge is also poorly shaped. What bothers me is the seller's apparent intention to slap similar bridges on other vintage Gibsons: "This looks very, very close to an original bridge and I bought a whole heap of these online from a vendor who was selling various vintage parts." Ugh.

I'm just happy you are back and posting. Your interesting experience is not all that uncommon. I would imagine you have figured that out by now.

There is a fun post a couple of pages back about a Gibson event at 12th Fret Music. The Gibson employee has a very interesting spin on the reissue of certain models. They went to Gary Burnett for the latest introduction of the same instruments. First Eldon Whitford then you then Gary. Gary had heard the horror stories and wouldn't send them anything so they had to go spec out his instruments. If they wouldn't have sent your x-ray and spec info to China maybe they could have saved a trip.

If they wouldn't have sent your x-ray and spec info to China maybe they could have saved a trip.

I love this!

Hogeye, someday I need to buy you a beer (or 3!) and tell you some stories. Wild stuff that will include threats to magazines for which I've written and more, all corroborated by the BBC.

I love this!

Hogeye, someday I need to buy you a beer (or 3!) and tell you some stories. Wild stuff that will include threats to magazines for which I've written and more, all corroborated by the BBC.

Reading between the lines, I'd say that's a pretty shabby way to treat the guy who helped put an era of vintage Gibsons on the radar for a lot of people who neither knew nor cared much about Gibson guitars before.

I think it's called cutting off your nose to spite your face, for reasons that are not readily apparent.

I love this!

I'll buy the beer John. You will laugh your butt off when you find out who I am. I would love to hear your stories and I just may have a couple that will keep you laughing as well.

You are a class act and the big loser is Gibson.

I loved your fretboard journal story about your buddy buying back his Gibson from Vince Gill.

Thanks for the kind words! That was a very fun gig.

A videographer recorded the meet up with two cameras and the footage (still a word?) will some day make it on to the Fretboard Journal website. Here's my favorite, very shot clip, in which I virtually introduce Vince (who is holding my Banner LG-1) to one of the two surviving Kalamazoo Gals and explain how to recognize a good guitar player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpIQtoHnPqk

I'll buy the beer John. You will laugh your butt off when you find out who I am. I would love to hear your stories and I just may have a couple that will keep you laughing as well.

Now you've really got me curious!

Welcome back JT! Love your insight on the banners, and got my FJ subscription in part to keep up with it. Loved the Vince Gill story

Jake gets some amazing stuff- seems like around New England, the real guitar trades and sales are all done in the old analog way. I never see what he gets come up for sale online, and I pay pretty close attention!

Welcome back JT! Love your insight on the banners, and got my FJ subscription in part to keep up with it. Loved the Vince Gill story

Thanks for the kind words!

Vince is a lovely guy and a very good sport, as that clip above reveals.

Archived