Gibson Brands Forums

1940's Epi Zephyr - Almost Complete!

Bob Marsh

After 6 months or so the 40'sw Zephyr is almost complete. All that remains is to make a coverplate for the back of the guitar and locate/create a pickguard - Both originals were missing when we received it. The old girl looks terrific, plays nicely and sounds great given the pickup rebuilt and upgraded by Lindy Fralin passing therough the "MasterVoicer" wiring. Our only regret is not being able to locate 2 original tuning keys ( Still Looking!) But as I mentioned this is going to be a player, as well as a family heirloom so the owner okayed the substitution.So.... Here she is - ANother one back from the brink and onto the stage!

B

6181264238_a7c27a8f6a_z.jpg

6180741665_20c63d3fa7_z.jpg

6180740799_db28c450e3_z.jpg

6181265262_b840e6d5dc_z.jpg

6181265552_9fb8ac84c7_z.jpg

She's a real stunner now. I love the new controls and every big box guitar should have a natural finish, to look right. Is the stock pickguard color for one of these tortoise? I could see a Fire Stripe on this beauty. Excellent job.

Thanks to all for the kind words - Bob Rigaud and I have put some time and love into bringing her back to life and I guess it shows.

If the ground doesn't crack open and swallow us all up the next project I'd like to feature is a beaut! A 1948 Gibson L-7CE came into the shop this week to have a couple cracks repaired and the pickup system (Pickups and controls are a unit mounted on the rather massive pickguard - no holes in the archtop) overhauled - Time and wear n' tear have corroded and eroded all the pickup wiring, pots, etc. She's a rather rare bird being both cutaway and electric - most L-7's were non-cutaway and usually non-electric.

Pictures will follow as the repair progresses and they become available.

Thanks again and Cheers!

B

Archived