Gibson Brands Forums

SG Supra: Truly a Class of Its Own

capmaster

Recently the SG Supra appeared at the Thomann Cyberstore. Looking for additional information I didn't find specifications on the related Gibson webpage. So I called Thomann's store, and after talking a while about this model I reserved one of each finish. The next day I drove a few hours through rain and snow to Thomann to check them out. Doing so, I felt lucky to not have already spent my money on the SG Diablo, 1960's Tribute SG 2013, or a 2013 SG Standard which look, play and sound rather appealing to me. So I was still able to afford the SG Supra.

IMHO the SG Supra's tone takes advantage from the maple body. The middle pickup facilities deliver uncommon and distinctive sounds. Since a few months I often use piezo equipped solidbodies, and I am very pleased with my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess and Fender Nashville Power Telecaster guitars, but to me the SG Supra's acoustic tone seems to be a step ahead in every detail.

The translucent black model's headstock sides and back, neck's back and the sides of the cutaways are finished in opaque ebony what is not in my favour. On the antique natural finish to my view the black pickup rings look a little obtrusive. Finally I bought one in antique natural, replaced the pickup rings with cream coloured ones, and the stock stop bar with a TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece.

I am rather excited and inspired by the sounds of the SG Supra. It's just a delight to play and listen to it.

No Photos...it didn't happen! :rolleyes:

Seriously, congratulations...on your new purchase! But...We Need Photos!! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Sorry... I have forgotten how to extend memory capacities, since there is no sufficient data space left for me in the Gibson Guitar Board. Unfortunately, I'm not a data guy [blush] ... I asked the same question a few months ago but can't find topic and reply anymore. [confused] Would you help me out of my misery, please?

When I wanted to take a photograph of my new SG Supra I found the camera software won't work anymore. Then I downloaded the original Logitech HD 525 driver from the manufacturer's website. Every time I try to start it my ten years old Windows XP computer shuts down due to a fatal error and reboots. Then by accident I saw that the memory frequency had changed to 200 MHz instead of 100 MHz. I luckily happened to go back to 100 MHz via the BIOS settings but that didn't do the trick, too. I am unable to make my camera work... [cursing] The red light beside the lens remains dark also.

I move to another dwell from tomorrow on, and there might be a time gap in my phone and web connections. Moreover, a friend of mine who could help me to solve the problem is abroad until next Saturday. He is the drummer in my band, is specialized in computer service and does it by profession, but I will have to wait for him the next week. Sorry agian, I sadly can't provide a picture so soon. [blush]

Sometimes strange things happen... [confused] After uninstalling of the camera software - the camera worked! [thumbup]

Then I decided to instantly register at imageshack and to post a photo of the SG Supra I purchased last Wednesday. To my taste the cream coloured pickup rings look pretty although the binding is white. So the colour of the rings is somewhere in between that of the binding and the finish.

I thought the SG Supra in Antique Natural would make a pretty pair with my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess in Viceroy Brown. I bought it five weeks ago, and it was a problem child for more than four weeks. Equipped with an additional polarity switch now it is better than it could have been ever before. Due to my Carpal Tunnel Syndrom (CTS) I have only 15 % sensitivity left in my right hand, and therefore I replaced the smooth top hat knobs with speed knobs for easier grasp. The knobs of the SG Supra are knurled, and so I easily get a grip despite of their witch hat design.

sgsuallp.jpg

That's a nice sg!!!! How does that Richlite fretboard feel and sound. I find it a bit strange they put that on this axe as that gonna scare of a great deal of buyers. Most people want rosewood or ebony on a top doller Gibson. But if it sounds and feel good, it doesn't matter to me what it is. I might save up a bit, and take a summer Holiday trip to thoman or musicstore this summer and check it out.

That's a nice sg!!!! How does that Richlite fretboard feel and sound. I find it a bit strange they put that on this axe as that gonna scare of a great deal of buyers. Most people want rosewood or ebony on a top doller Gibson. But if it sounds and feel good, it doesn't matter to me what it is. I might save up a bit, and take a summer Holiday trip to thoman or musicstore this summer and check it out.

Since I don't own a single fretted instrument with an ebony fingerboard, my comparison is based on checking out some other guitars with but it comes rather close to its feel. Smoothness and grip seem to be well balanced, not too slippery for chord fretting and not too sticky for bendings. To my personal taste it feels best among all my guitars and basses with rosewood and lacquered maple fretboards. In general, when I evaluate neck profile, fretboard material and its radius, I like my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess the most, followed by my Les Paul Standard 2012 and Fender Telecaster American Deluxe which both do have a compound radius fretboard. Compared to my 1978 SG Standard, the SG Supra plays and feels much better, but my old SG's frets are worn and torn meanwhile. It was my only guitar for several years, and I had bought it already heavily used. However, playability always depends on individual likes.

With respect to its sound I can't compare it to any other guitar since an SG with a maple body is something different to everything else, but my impression is that there is nothing wrong with it. The SG Supra's body's and neck's vibes seem a bit stronger to me than that of my all-mahogany SG with strings of same brand and gauge. The sustain of the Supra is longer than that of my 1978 Standard, although the Supra has weak notes, too around the F4 where my 1978 Standard has a definitely dead spot on the G3 string at the 10th fret. This is common among SGs and mainly seems to depend on design.

It's interestingly though that except for the Les Paul Studio Shred with Floyd Rose vibrato, Gibson uses Richlite fingerboards on rather expensive instruments exclusively. Epiphone calls the same or a similar material phenolic and doesn't use the trademark Richlite. The only very question for me is if phenolic fretboards can be fretted anew as easy as most wooden fretbords allow for it. But I think that there will be no need for it for the rest of my life - I just have to spread the fret wear evenly on all my guitars [wink]. At the moment, also due to economical considerations, I am practising very often on my 2011 L6S, one of my Fender Nashville Power Telecasters, and my Fender Standard Floyd Rose Stratocaster customized with N3 Noiseless pickups.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather stunning, especially with cream Pup rings! And clearly the Gibson TP-6 as the stoptail - good man! Is your TP-6 held down by normal or locking studs?

The TP-6 comes with non-locking studs which have a wider mortise than the stock ones to match the larger size of the TP-6' slots. Regularly I do change strings one by one, and so I don't have any trouble with those studs. Therefore I didn't replace them with locking ones. I use the TP-6 on all my hardtail Gibson guitars mounted with the studs provided.

Changing strings one after the other is easier and less risky especially because of the SG Supra's piezo Tune-O-Matic bridge. The cable from the PCB on its back is rather short. It can be pulled out a bit through its tiny hole e. g. for cleaning, but normally I think its best to leave the bridge in place. By the way, on both guitars the piezos are less prone to external signal interference than the humbuckers.

• 2 months later...

Sometimes strange things happen... [confused] After uninstalling of the camera software - the camera worked! [thumbup]

Then I decided to instantly register at imageshack and to post a photo of the SG Supra I purchased last Wednesday. To my taste the cream coloured pickup rings look pretty although the binding is white. So the colour of the rings is somewhere in between that of the binding and the finish.

I thought the SG Supra in Antique Natural would make a pretty pair with my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess in Viceroy Brown. I bought it five weeks ago, and it was a problem child for more than four weeks. Equipped with an additional polarity switch now it is better than it could have been ever before. Due to my Carpal Tunnel Syndrom (CTS) I have only 15 % sensitivity left in my right hand, and therefore I replaced the smooth top hat knobs with speed knobs for easier grasp. The knobs of the SG Supra are corrugated, and so I easily get a grip despite of their top hat design.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3609/sgsuallp.jpg

That is drop dead stunning [thumbup]

Wow Capmaster! If I owned all those axes, my wife would have gone....

HAHA! Cool!

D

If my wife hadn't left me in February, 2011, I wouldn't own that many axes.

I think this is since I am inspired to writing, playing and singing songs since that time in a very personal and emotional way, and I need so many more colours of sound than I did before. For a long time, life seemed so easy to me, and my music was rather simple, too. Meanwhile most of my songs are quite complicated, both words and music. Many songs call for acoustic sounds as well as for electric, and so either me, my bandmate on guitar or we both play piezo-equipped solidbodies then. It is some kind of merging the unplugged and the wired kinds of music... We are a quartet sharing our hobby since October, 1996. I wasn't already married that time, and our drummer later became the witness to my marriage. Our bassplayer is meanwhile divorced, too. Same as me, he has two children with his former wife.

In a second band founded in February, 1986 covering rock songs of the '60s, '70s and '80s I sing and play drums on a borrowed drum set. The foundation meeting of this band accidentally caused me to meet my that time later and meanwhile former wife...

In a third band founded in March, 2013 covering old rock and blues songs, too, I sing and play bass. That's why I added five basses to the one I already own since over thirty years. My Worn Ebony SG bass is strung flatwound, one of the EB 2012 will be strung flatwound, too as soon as the EMG PUs will have arrived, the Heritage Cherry SG bass and all other basses are strung roundwound. We are three former bandmates of a 1980s band, and the fourth band mate played with them in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I was vocalist and guitarist that time, now our former bass player plays guitar, and I am regularly playing bass in a band for the first time of my life. I had played electric bass in a band only in 1996 the time we were looking for a bass player in my creative band.

Hope this was't too boring and comprehensive...

• 2 months later...

OK, Here's some pics!

As you can see I have swapped the knobs for Gold Top Hats. Looks much better IMO. [thumbup]

I also plan to change out the pickup rings for Cream ones & I also have a Cream Switch ring on the way to match it up. :-({|=

I may even get good old Dave from FOTN to make me up a cream back plate as well. :-k

I really love the versatility of tone you can get from this Guitar.

As for the Richlite board, I have 4 other Guitars with Ebony boards & I have absolutely no issues with this. It looks & feels fine to me. [thumbup]

Supra4_zps74e6b2b3.jpg

Supra3_zps40b27fb1.jpg

Supra2_zps8c8888b1.jpg

Supra1_zps92dccfc5.jpg

Also makes a neat match for my Heritage! ;)

HeritageAbraxas1_zpsdd628157.jpg

I also just bought a Supra & am loving it! [thumbup] Will post some pics tomorrow.

Where do you get the Cream pickup rings from?

Sorry, I can find only two of the three pickup rings at Thomann...

For the neck pickup, it is:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_hu_mounting_ring_18_creme.htm

For the middle pickup, it is the 1/4" one of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_prpr035.htm

(the 1/2" is needless)

They obviously don't sell the 3/8" pickup rings in cream anymore - I don't know whyever, it is a Gibson USA standard part coming stock on many guitars, and of course they are making them still:

http://store.gibson.com/bridge-pickup-mounting-ring/

I bought it on March 27th, 2013 under the Thomann item number 171633 with the guitar and the other pickup rings.

OK, Here's some pics!

As you can see I have swapped the knobs for Gold Top Hats. Looks much better IMO. [thumbup]

I also plan to change out the pickup rings for Cream ones & I also have a Cream Switch ring on the way to match it up. :-({|=

I may even get good old Dave from FOTN to make me up a cream back plate as well. :-k

I really love the versatility of tone you can get from this Guitar.

As for the Richlite board, I have 4 other Guitars with Ebony boards & I have absolutely no issues with this. It looks & feels fine to me. [thumbup]

Supra4_zps74e6b2b3.jpg

Supra3_zps40b27fb1.jpg

Supra2_zps8c8888b1.jpg

Supra1_zps92dccfc5.jpg

Also makes a neat match for my Heritage! ;)

HeritageAbraxas1_zpsdd628157.jpg

Great pics, great looks! Your Heritage looks pretty cool, too.

Did your SG Supra come stock with the metal truss rod cover like the Les Paul Supreme does? Mine came with a laminated blank plastic TRC as shown on this photo from post # 7:

sgsuallp.jpg

It came with the Laminated Black one like yours. I just happened to have the one that is on there so decided to give it a try.

I eventually managed to find the rings here:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hum-mounting-ring-low-cream-743-p.asp

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hum-mounting-ring-medium-cream-749-p.asp

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hum-mounting-ring-high-cream-694-p.asp

Will post more pics when I get it all sorted! ;)

I also nearly bought my Guitar from Thomann but another dealer gave me a trade on the SG VOS I had so went with them.

Archived