Gibson Brands Forums

Pancake guitars

daveinspain

When I was a Junior in high school (1976-77) a Senior and I were chatting. He produced a rumpled mimeographed flyer from his coat pocket advertising old Strats, LPs, etc. I don't recall much about the prices but at the time early 60s Fender prices were rivalling the street price of a new one, which was a little shocking to me.

He said "If you buy a Fender guitar, get a pre-CBS one. Look for the big F on the neck plate and if you see it, put it back on the rack".

I didn't believe him then and I don't believe him now.

At the same time the local music store had a 3 pickup black 1957 Les Paul on consignment for $700. Everybody laughed.

I had a 72 deluxe that I bought new form a local store in Worcester Mass (Union Music - long since closed)

Wound up trading it for an Ibanez MC400 in 1979 -- yes, I WAS in fact an idiot back then...

It did weigh a ton, but it was a great axe,, wish I still had it.

and ya, I get what the "Norlin Era" thing is all about quite well, I just DON'T buy into it either.

Sadly, many people who know the least about these things do buy into it.

Back in the 70s there was a belief for awhile that more mass = more sustain, which led to brass nuts, brass tailpieces, saddles, etc etc. The 1st LP Custom I ever had a good go on was Norlin-era, and it was a wonderful guitar though the top (I seem to remember it was 3 pieces, could that be right?) wasn't attractive. That didn't matter.

So many great players made/make great music on the "Norlin era" guitars. Ace Frehley, John Sykes, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Alex Lifeson, Brian Robertson, Richie Scarlet (obviously many more), not to mention the Explorers and Vs that everyone used.

The idea that Gibsons made between 1969 and the early 80s were inferior was collecter/vintage dealer bullshit. They were simply trying to tell people that their 50s Les Pauls they were selling at I high price were better than the new ones at the time. It's marketing.

A guitar is a guitar, period. If it's great, it's great. If it sucks, it sucks. Has nothing to do with age.

.....although I do feel that a vintage guitar that has been played is better than a vintage guitar in pristine condition...

Archived