Gibson Brands Forums

whats bruce playing here?

blindboygrunt

gorgeous colour . would that have to be a custom order?

Maybe? Pickguard could have been removed if not ordered that way.

The headstock inlay and the big block inlays on the f/b are not 'Standard' J200 appointments though.

I see that the new 'Western Classic Prewar 200' has the same appointments ( http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Gibson-Acoustic/Western-Classic-Prewar-200/Features.aspx ), was there an early J200 or custom that had the same ??

Is he tuned down?

I don't know what he's doing, would like to know. I made it kind of work by putting a "Drop D" capo on fret 5 and tuning the big 6th string UP to F. (The song is in key of F.) And then playing chord shapes of C, Dm and Bb. Those are the chords. But... he's not chording like that. So, I wonder if it is Open F tuning or some other alt-tuning.

EDIT: No, he's not in open F tuning, as he has a capo on fret 5. Too early for my brain to work today. Weird, his first chord (F) is played in a (standard tuning) C-chord shape beginning at the 8th fret (3 above the capo), then he comes down to the capo to what looks like an Am or Am7 shape for the minor. I've tried several alt-tunings, can't figure it out.

I don't know what he's doing, would like to know. I made it kind of work by putting a "Drop D" capo on fret 5 and tuning the big 6th string UP to F. (The song is in key of F.) And then playing chord shapes of C, Dm and Bb. Those are the chords. But... he's not chording like that. So, I wonder if it is Open F tuning or some other alt-tuning.

EDIT: No, he's not in open F tuning, as he has a capo on fret 5. Too early for my brain to work today. Weird, his first chord (F) is played in a (standard tuning) C-chord shape beginning at the 8th fret (3 above the capo), then he comes down to the capo to what looks like an Am or Am7 shape for the minor. I've tried several alt-tunings, can't figure it out.

His capo is on the 3rd fret not the 5th.

The way that I see/hear it is.....

Drop the open low E to D, leave the rest in standard tuning. Then capo 3rd fret. Play C shape , rooted at 8th fret, fretting would be ( 0 5 4 0 3 0 ) with the capo now being Zero or Open, drop pinkie to alternate on b string 5 to 3 ** pretty sure he is alternating 5th string 8th fret to open ( or 5 to 0 with capo ) at the same time** , Em shape @ ( 0 5 5 0 3 0 ) same pinkie alternating on b string 5 to 3 and finally C shape ( first position C shape with Capo at 3rd fret )

When I play along like this it sounds bang on. Worked this out during my first 1/2 cup of coffee today... after the 2nd 1/2 cup I may discover I am wrong but I think I've got the gist of it.

HTH's

His capo is on the 3rd fret not the 5th.

The way that I see/hear it is.....

Drop the open low E to D, leave the rest in standard tuning. Then capo 3rd fret. Play C shape , rooted at 8th fret, fretting would be ( 0 5 4 0 3 0 ) with the capo now being Zero or Open, drop pinkie to alternate on b string 5 to 3 ** pretty sure he is alternating 5th string 8th fret to open ( or 5 to 0 with capo ) at the same time** , Em shape @ ( 0 5 5 0 3 0 ) same pinkie alternating on b string 5 to 3 and finally C shape ( first position C shape with Capo at 3rd fret )

When I play along like this it sounds bang on. Worked this out during my first 1/2 cup of coffee today... after the 2nd 1/2 cup I may discover I am wrong but I think I've got the gist of it.

HTH's

Well, heck, I can't see. You're right, capo'd at 3, not 5. I think the guitar's fret marker at fret 1 threw me off, I'm used to the first one being at fret 3. I think you are basically correct. I didn't understand what you mean about the pinkie, though. And I think when he plays the Em shape, 033000, relative to the capo, he is alternating that with 033300.

Well done!

Well, heck, I can't see. You're right, capo'd at 3, not 5. I think the guitar's fret marker at fret 1 threw me off, I'm used to the first one being at fret 3. I think you are basically correct. I didn't understand what you mean about the pinkie, though. And I think when he plays the Em shape, 033000, relative to the capo, he is alternating that with 033300.

Well done!

Alternating pinkie ( high note ) is just going from 0 5 4 0 3 0 to 0 5 4 0 5 0 using the pinkie to alternate btwn. 3 (1st finger) and 5 ( pinkie) on the B string

I think you mean Em shape relative to the capo 0 5 5 0 0 0 alternating that with 0 5 5 5 0 0 ......

FWIW ..... the Em in the first position works too. You also can play it simply using the 1st position shapes D / Em / C , still tuned the same with the dropped E string and with capo on the 3rd fret. This works but is not voiced the same as Bruce's version.

Archived