Gibson Brands Forums

Loving my Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo

RichG

Some history.

First guitar, Guild D40 bought in 1966

Second guitar Martin HD28P bought in 1991. Twenty five years later.

Third guitar, Martin D18 GE bought in 2003. Twelve years later.

Then last fall I had the opportunity to get the 1939 J-55 from a friend. My first Gibson to own and I probably have not touched one in 40 years. I liked the way it sounded and the feel of the neck. Got me looking at new ones. Sold my HD28P because I couldn't deal with the "P" neck. Bought a new AJ and later a new SCSJ. Then I got missing my HD28 so I bought a D28 Marquis which has the same neck as my D18.

I try to play them all during every week, but I keep coming back to the SJ. I do a lot of finger picking with picks and it just sounds so clear and punches through so well. I took the D28 to a bluegrass jam the other day and someone who was at another jam where I had the SJ said " That's a nice guitar but I really like that Gibson you play."

As I said, personal preference, your mileage may vary.

Rich

Considering what you have in your stable that is high praise indeed. If I can ever drag myself out of the high country and down to Wildwood I'd like to play one. The Music Villa demo really stoked me up for one so it's good to hear an actual owner's account. Yeh, there is just something about a Gibson. I play with guys that show up with a lot of Martins and all of them just love having a different sounding guitar sitting in when I show up with my J50 or J45.

There are a couple of good points about that guitar, I just can't put my finger on them.....

sheryl.jpg

I swear those......er, that had nothing to do with my decision!

On the other hand, I did not buy the "Ruth Buzzy" signature model Harmony in 1968.

Rich

Between my own guitars and those of my friends I have pretty extensive playtime on the following guitars: Gibson AJ madagascar, J-45 TV, 1942 J-45, Martin D-45 Marquis, D-28 Marquis, D-18 GE, D-18 Authentic, OM-28 Marquis Madagascar.

My Sheryl Crow SJ is the best modern guitar out of the bunch. Extremely impressive! I have posted about it before, but I can't say enough good things about this guitar.

Lars

Between my own guitars and those of my friends I have pretty extensive playtime on the following guitars: Gibson AJ madagascar, J-45 TV, 1942 J-45, Martin D-45 Marquis, D-28 Marquis, D-18 GE, D-18 Authentic, OM-28 Marquis Madagascar.

My Sheryl Crow SJ is the best modern guirtar out of the bunch. Extremely impressive! I have posted before, but I can't say enough good things about this guitar.

Lars

Lars, between you and your friends.....that is ONE impressive stable. If your SC is that good, I guess you will call it a "keeper"??? I've never played a SC before, but I played an Authentic, and if it is better than that....you've really got something...

Yes the Sheryl SJ is a keeper for me, and I would indeed grab it before my D-18 Authentic should the house catch fire. Of course this is just personal opinion and a Martin player, who is not into the Gibson sound, would probably pick the A. Me, I happen to like both Gibsons and Martins, but this SJ is my favorite. Sometimes the stars align just right.

Lars

By the way, I do have some nice friends....

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to a friend that works at the Bozeman factory a couple weeks ago and he said that the SCSJ's weren't being made anymore and that only about 100 were made. No idea if this is true or not.

Matt

The Sheryl Crow SJ should be readily available. I believe it was introduced in mid 2012.

Lars

I was talking to a friend that works at the Bozeman factory a couple weeks ago and he said that the SCSJ's weren't being made anymore and that only about 100 were made. No idea if this is true or not.

Matt

I'm not advocating this train of thought, but guitars are still predominantly bought by men and a great portion of them will not buy a "chicks guitar", sad but true... I think the marketing pitch on this one is all wrong. Just my tuppence worth....

I'm not advocating this train of thought, but guitars are still predominantly bought by men and a great portion of them will not buy a "chicks guitar", sad but true... I think the marketing pitch on this one is all wrong. Just my tuppence worth....

"A rose by any other name....." [thumbup]

Rich

Good point PM about it being seen as a "chick guitar". I do like some of Sheryl Crow's songs, but I'm far from being a fan. Had her name been anywhere on the guitar, except the label where it is now, I would not have bought it. I am just not a fan of signature guitars. Come to think of it, I do own a Les Paul...

Lars

Good point PM about it being seen as a "chick guitar". I do like some of Sheryl Crow's songs, but I'm far from being a fan. Had her name been anywhere on the guitar, except the label where it is now, I would not have bought it. I am just not a fan of signature guitars. Come to think of it, I do own a Les Paul...

Lars

I reckon a lot of people can see past it, Lars, like was said above 'a rose by any other name...' but a lot of people won't, sad but true... I'm with you on the sig models though, I wish Gibson would focus on the spec of models people want rather than dragging in soul after soul for a run with their name on it and a few hundred added to the price to bolster already full pockets.

If the SCSJ was marketed differently, or designated by the era the specs most closely match it'd probably sell a bit better. The amulet is not quite ubiquitous enough as yet either, a lot of people see it as one helluva upcharge based on the market price to buy the pickup separately. Can't say I disagree. Nothing against Sheryl Crow, she was quite attractive a good few years ago even if she has exceptionally poor taste in footwear, but I've really no interest in lining her pockets any further, nor paying a scandalous upcharge on a unit that requires all manner of special connectors etc...

edit: aside that I reckon it looks great and have seen nothing but glowing responses to it by those who've taken the jump.

I reckon the Aaron Lewis approach was particularly good, focusing more on the design details of his 51' SJ rather than the man himself, or his view on how a Gibson should be designed.

The small refernace to Mr Lewis through the truss rod cover can be easily replaced to make it look like a 51'SJ.

I reckon the Aaron Lewis approach was particularly good, focusing more on the design details of his 51' SJ rather than the man himself, or his view on how a Gibson should be designed.

The small refernace to Mr Lewis through the truss rod cover can be easily replaced to make it look like a 51'SJ.

I'd still say it might have fared better being called a 51 SJ reissue. We might be a bunch of geeks in here, but a lot of guitar players aren't, I reckon on the wee gig circuit I'm on I must be one of the only ones who goes on to guitar forums. For most people, sig models offer nothing except the name attached and Aaron Lewis doesn't speak that much to your typical guitar player.

In other words a lot of people see as:

'Gibson Aaron Lewis' as some nobody hocking a guitar with their name on it for an upcharge...

Vs

'Gibson 1951 SJ reissue' as a 50's specced guitar with a 50's neck, no namesake upcharge applied and so on....

for those not attracted to sig models, option B seems a better deal, even if the guitars were to cost the same. A sig implies the namesake has their cut, so they know a couple of hundred or more is added for the right of baring that name, not that many want that really.

The SCSJ, just like the Jackson Browne, guitar, comes in two version, with or without pickup. Mine is without. If endorsements are what it takes for Gibson to make money, I guess I can live with it, but I would much favor a focus on specs. All that said, fact remains, this is the single best modern acoustic I have ever played.

Lars

I had never thought about the name. I was told by someone I trust that it was a fantastic guitar, plus I read good things here so I waited for my nearest Five Star dealer to get the next one. I played several guitars that day but the SCSJ was the best by a long shot.

I'm not a fan of the naming policy either, but I guess in this case it was just a way to identify the guitar. I'm an old folky and a bluegrass and jug band guy. I have to admit I couldn't name one Sheryl Crow song if my life depended on it. Now, when Gibson releases the Phil Ochs model, I'll be all over it!

Rich

I had never thought about the name. I was told by someone I trust that it was a fantastic guitar, plus I read good things here so I waited for my nearest Five Star dealer to get the next one. I played several guitars that day but the SCSJ was the best by a long shot.

I'm not a fan of the naming policy either, but I guess in this case it was just a way to identify the guitar. I'm an old folky and a bluegrass and jug band guy. I have to admit I couldn't name one Sheryl Crow song if my life depended on it. Now, when Gibson releases the Phil Ochs model, I'll be all over it!

Rich

Thing is, would you have preferred it called the SJ XX era reissue, a couple of hundred or so cheaper?

As I recall, Ochs played both a J-45 and a J-50.

Wrote some great songs, did that one.

I saw him for the first time doing a concert in the Gym at Northeastern U. in Boston in 1964. I have a theory that my Gibson GAS started when I recently saw a documentary film about him and saw him playing a J45.

Thing is, would you have preferred it called the SJ XX era reissue, a couple of hundred or so cheaper?

Less expensive is always better, but I'm not sure the premium is that much, but I guess only Gibson knows.

I did just go and look at the Gibson site and the SCSJ is not on it anymore. The other (older?) Sheryl Crow model is still there.

As I said in the beginning, it's all subjective, but for me this guitar is the best one I own and it's not the most expensive.

Rich

Can't see any of the Artists on Gibsons roster handing away their name for 10 or 20 bucks a pop to be honest. I'm sure someone claimed before the avg was about 2-300 per unit. How true that is I've no idea.

If they can stick on 6-700 for installation of a Amulet pickup, the artists would have a plausible argument that their name was worth just as much....

The SCSJ was the inspiration for my Custom Shop SJ - basically all the same specs, except that I added the wider Luthiers Choice neck, and replaced the headstock art with just a plain MOP Gibson inlay. I bought the Trance Amulet after-market and had it installed. All in, about $3,600. Not sure if I saved money or not, and except for the sketchy bridge plate, its a helluva guitar. I also own the Jackson Browne model - and to be honest, I think without the artist endorsement I may never have considereda 12 fretter, but am glad I did. Again, on this one, I had the Trance installed after market, saved me over $1,000.

Archived