Gibson Brands Forums

prewired harness

Sgt.

I want some information regarding refitting a Les Paul Studio (2011) with a prewired harness. I'm pretty sure I need the long shaft pots with a Studio. A seller has mentioned the vintage guitars had metal plates, mine has a printed circuit board. Is there any obstacles to refitting a Studio LP with a prewired harness with long shaft pots? Will I need a metal plate?

And with vintage/50's wiring will I need any extra matched wire to do the toggle and jack?

I haven't done this before but am close to ordering a prewired harness for this project. Just want to make sure I got it right before ordering.

cheers

Hmm, youd better be sure.. The difference between long and short pots is quite big.. Im not actually sure which Gibson use as ive never taken mine off... Im sure someone will know though :)

CTS_Control_Pots_sm_zps90927b0c.jpg

Mine do.

yeah pretty sure a studio is taking long shaft pots, but after the pcb comes out does the wiring harness just go up against the maple cap? (I don't know what's under the pcb to tell the truth!)

Guest Farnsbarns

yeah pretty sure a studio is taking long shaft pots, but after the pcb comes out does the wiring harness just go up against the maple cap? (I don't know what's under the pcb to tell the truth!)

Yes, and by the way, if the pots stick out a bit you can put some washers on the back to get your knobs nice and low.

Yes, Sgt., you need long shaft pots. The prewired harness will just drop in and the output jack and switch will just hook up the same whether you have modern or 50's wiring. The control cavity has a flat bottom on the PCB models. So some of the pots will want to stick out further than others. But there's two nuts on each pot, one on the outside, and there's also a backing nut that goes on the shaft first and adjusts how far the pot stands above the inside of the cavity. So you use long pots and just adjust the backing washers on each individual pot so that they stick out of the top a little - just enough to get the top washer and nut on them.

I hope that's clear. [thumbup]

Archived