Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think about this idea ?

crust

Do you like the abalone "tree of life" and position markers ? What about the other "bling" on Epiphones ? Would you buy a Sheraton or Broadway/Emperor or other "bling" types if they just made a "plain Jane" type, natural, no "bling" as mentioned above, simple natural finish with good electronics. Maybe just an air brush logo, small plastic position markers ? or do you prefer that "fancy" stuff ?

Just throwing it out for comments. [rolleyes][confused]

Maybe the Dot studio is something like I have mentioned :)

I have 4 epi 6 strings, the Elitist Chet Atkins Country Gent elitist doesn't have the cosmetic appointments that the others do but it's a gorgeous guitar all the same.

The Swingster, Broadway, Emperor Regent do have these cosmetics, and I think they do set them apart from the rest and they look "right" on these models. but not a deal breaker if they were not there because over all, they are fine guitars, especially if you compare the cost to USA made counter parts .

I don't care for the overly "blingy" guitars, nor super-flamed or curly maple tops. But then I don't care for the studio versions with no binding, or matte finishes either. I guess I like my guitars somewhere in between.

Just my opinion, since you asked. [biggrin]

Most of my guitars are relatively "plain jane," although some models of guitar body, you've gotta take 'em like they make 'em.

I like the Dot, for example. Wouldn't care to add more fancies, really. But some guitars of all brands have the fancies on some "builds" that I really don't care about one way or another.

I've considered a Dot Studio, but I already have two.

In ways I'd like a Masterbilt with a nicer finish built kinda like the PR5e - but then I guess that's getting into Gibson price tag categories.

m

Do you like the abalone "tree of life" and position markers ? What about the other "bling" on Epiphones ? Would you buy a Sheraton or Broadway/Emperor or other "bling" types if they just made a "plain Jane" type, natural, no "bling" as mentioned above, simple natural finish with good electronics. Maybe just an air brush logo, small plastic position markers ? or do you prefer that "fancy" stuff ?

Just throwing it out for comments. [rolleyes][confused]

Maybe the Dot studio is something like I have mentioned :)

Isn't the Sheraton just a blinged out Dot. I am aware that they are two different models with their own history but basically the same guitar. That being said I would go for the dot since I don't go for flashy guitars, mostly black guitars for me except for my LP. A trans-black flametop would go a long way though. I also prefer nickel to gold hardware.

There is a website inlaysticker.com where you can buy the tree of life and other cool stuff. I got inlays from there. Cheap and reasonable shipping with fast delivery.

Although I think TONE and PLAYABILITY should be the biggest concerns IMHO, I do like a certain amount of bling. I have an Ibanez Acoustic that has no markers on the fretboard except for some nice looking scrollwork on the 11th, 12th and 13th frets. But what actually drew me to this particular guitar was the awesome quilted maple on the top, sides and back. That's what made me stop and look and when I picked her up and played her, I immediately got a huge case of GAS. Normally I like BLACK guitars, tho. Thus the reason I own my awesome BLACK Epiphone ES339. It has the perfect amount of chrome, and white (creme) accents to make her a standout.

Obviously, tone and playability are the two top factors anyone would consider in a guitar. But, all things being equal, I'm in the camp that wants a certain amount of bling. I do think that a guitar is also partly a work of art. Dots are wonderful guitars - I own a black one (duh) - but I appreciate guitars that are more "dressed up" and am currently on the hunt for one.

Obviously, tone and playability are the two top factors anyone would consider in a guitar. But, all things being equal, I'm in the camp that wants a certain amount of bling. I do think that a guitar is also partly a work of art. Dots are wonderful guitars - I own a black one (duh) - but I appreciate guitars that are more "dressed up" and am currently on the hunt for one.

I got 2 words for ya! BLACK ES339

I played with almost every semi-hollow they had in stock a t Guitar Center(well... the affordable ones anyways) and the Epiphone ES339 was hands down the very best sounding. I tried them all thru a Fender Blues Jr NOS, just like what I would be using at home and the little Epi suounded the best BY A NEW YORK MILE!!!!!!

They already do this, haven't you looked. Epi has whole lines of fancy to plain set-neck models:

- LP Prophecy, LP Black Beauty, LP Custom, LP Std Plus, LP Royale, LP Std, LP Studio, LP worn finish

- SG Prophecy, SG Custom, SG Deluxe, '62 SG Std, '66 SG Std, SG worn finish

- '62 Sheraton, Sheraton, Dot Deluxe, Dot Royale, Dot, Dot Studio

They've bent over backwards with more models and limited editions than just about any other manufacturer.

I got 2 words for ya! BLACK ES339

I played with almost every semi-hollow they had in stock a t Guitar Center(well... the affordable ones anyways) and the Epiphone ES339 was hands down the very best sounding. I tried them all thru a Fender Blues Jr NOS, just like what I would be using at home and the little Epi suounded the best BY A NEW YORK MILE!!!!!!

Thanks, Bubba. It's now on the list.

Archived