Gibson Brands Forums

just another vote for the j35

blindboygrunt

had a quick glimpse into a store on saturday morning while the other half was looking at clothes up the street . was just a quick sniff round the shop so no time for anything in depth but , the new j35 had to be tested a little after all the hype on here about them .

verdict : hype is justified indeed . a very light and very loud guitar .might be the bone saddle . my j45 is not what anyone would call a loud guitar so maybe my judgement is skewed .well made and pretty in its simplicity . anyone who is nervous about ordering one shouldnt be .

and at 1199 , seems a steal to me .

I tried one in Dublin BBG and thought it was excellent for the price. Were you in Matchetts? Need to call in there myself at the weekend - want to buy a few thumb picks if they have them. Never been comfortable using a flat pick and thought I'd try something different.

Damn all of you people and this new guitar talk. I've at least had some control over my desire for getting a maple guitar, but now that seems to be slipping too. And now this J35 stuff has been thrown into the mix. My wife doesn't have a chance against all this information and lust. [thumbup]

I tried one in Dublin BBG and thought it was excellent for the price. Were you in Matchetts? Need to call in there myself at the weekend - want to buy a few thumb picks if they have them. Never been comfortable using a flat pick and thought I'd try something different.

it was in dawsons dave , not much else and i didnt have a lot of time .... young fella says an order of more of a range of gibsons is on its way around the 1st may .

Dave, you mention excellent 'for the price' - can you expand on that ? Is that excellent guitar, period. Or excellent guitar at that price range, but not quite as good as say standard J=45's or TV 's ?

I really need to try one of those buggers ..

Dave, you mention excellent 'for the price' - can you expand on that ? Is the excellent guitar, period. Or excellent guitar at that price range, but not quite as good as say standard J=45's or TV 's ?

Whoah on the GAS there sonny Jim... DO you need one, EA? I mean really need one? You already have small, medium & large in the stable. They're lovely guitars for sure, price point aside.... but they're not going to give you anything much you don't have in some form already... if you're after a blondie fair enough, but on tonal grounds, its in the same ballpark as the 45s really. Subtle differences perhaps but not a world away.

Whoah on the GAS there sonny Jim... DO you need one, EA? I mean really need one? You already have small, medium & large in the stable. They're lovely guitars for sure, price point aside.... but they're not going to give you anything much you don't have in some form already... if you're after a blondie fair enough, but on tonal grounds, its in the same ballpark as the 45s really. Subtle differences perhaps but not a world away.

yip , totally right

Here's the GAS cure I keep using, since I really can't afford another Gibson presently. The 35 I played was very nice and really nicely priced. But it hadn't opened up or may just not be quite as stellar to my ears as some of the others that are being reported on. I like to think the former, because it really was nice. Really. Somebody will love its tone and they should buy it. Now. On the other hand I really like my Woody. So what I keep doing is checking prices at Thomann. When I see that Woodies are currently priced at 1400 euros I am a) jealous that I paid more even from Thomann, but B) not quite so near to wetting my pants over the admittedly still very reasonable price point of the 35. The Woody is also pretty reasonably priced at the moment, and this knowledge deflates the GAS a bit for me. I can live with the jealousy, because the extra money has bought me two years' extra joy and an instrument that I personally bond with.

Oh Im definitely not GASing for one, and I can say that without any doubt. Im actually in that wonderful GAS free state that I hope will last, oh at least a coule more weeks ... :rolleyes:

Just wanna give one a go to see if the hype has its merits ...

Oh Im definitely not GASing for one, and I can say that without any doubt. Im actually in that wonderful GAS free state that I hope will last, oh at least a coule more weeks ... :rolleyes:

I had a few friends and family round the other night.. they were all 'come one play us some guitar!' so I did, I played them a few tunes on each of my guitars, finger picking and strumming.

Guess which one they liked the most?

By and large it does... think of it as a blonde J-45 with a different pickguard and you're there..... This model has to be taking apart the J-50 sales.

ParlourMan, excellent attempt to bring a semblance of logic and commonsense to this issue. The only problem is we're talking about "GAS," and not just normal GAS...Gibson GAS.....This is sheer insanity, but what a way to go. [thumbup]

Dave, you mention excellent 'for the price' - can you expand on that ? Is that excellent guitar, period. Or excellent guitar at that price range, but not quite as good as say standard J=45's or TV 's ?

Hi EA, I meant excellent guitar - and the price is a bonus. I didn't mean to imply it was a budget Gibson (like the Canadian Songmakers perhaps or an Epiphone). I didn't find it lacking in any dept - basically a blonde J45 standard at an excellent price.

A few cosmetic differences like the script logo/banner decal rather than MOP inlay on the headstock and the rectangular bridge vs belly up - and both have the same LR Baggs pickup. I preferred the white button tuners over the standard rotomatics too.

I do prefer the J45 with the burst but at less than £1200 new I could easily learn to love the natural top.

Archived