Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Pin on Heel of Gibson J-200

Hype

For all those owners of a J-200 who have the strap pin installed on the heel of the neck, can you please post pics of how it looks. I'm looking to relocate the position of where my strap pin is currently (treble underside) and all the guitar luthiers I've meet advise me not to do so as doing so may crack the binding at the heel. But I know this can be done as some people have had this done.

Can someone please post pics for me who have had this done successfully?

Thanks,

For all those owners of a J-200 who have the strap pin installed on the heel of the neck, can you please post pics of how it looks. I'm looking to relocate the position of where my strap pin is currently (treble underside) and all the guitar luthiers I've meet advise me not to do so as doing so may crack the binding at the heel. But I know this can be done as some people have had this done.

Can someone please post pics for me who have had this done successfully?

Thanks,

IMHO the best place for a strap button to go is on the treble side of the neck heel, like this:

001-2.jpg

I have two guitars with the strap button on the bottom of the heel, i.e., position #2 in this photo:

ts0055a.jpg

.... it just doesn't feel as secure there when I play.

More bumph here, courtesy of Stew-Mac.

Fred

IMHO the best place for a strap button to go is on the treble side of the neck heel, like this:

001-2.jpg

I have two guitars with the strap button on the bottom of the heel, i.e., position #2 in this photo:

ts0055a.jpg

.... it just doesn't feel as secure there when I play.

More bumph here, courtesy of Stew-Mac.

Fred

Fred,

The picture you posted is exactly where my strap button/pin is currently, but I do want it in position #2, reason being is that the guitar doesn't angle out when I'm playing. I want to know if placing it in position #2 will crack the binding or plastic cap as also seen in your second photo with all the possible positions. On your other guitars that had the pin on the heel, did you have a plastic binding cap? If so, any damage done to it by installing it there?

I've got an '04 SJ200 that the previous owner had a shop install one right in the middle of that triangle shaped white plastic heel cap. No problems or damage at all. I removed the pin because I prefer the strap up on the head. but agree with you that placing it on the treble side of the heel would seem to cause the guitar to lean out - the bass side to tip forward. If I were to use a heel button - it would be in position #2.

I've installed many buttons in both those locations. Some people tell me the heel cap position leaves the guitar feeling unbalanced on the strap, others think the treble side position gets in the way of the left hand. Personally, a nice comfy chair does me just fine!

Choose your tools correctly and there will be no issues, plastic heel cap or not.

He walks in the class room cool and slow

who calls the ........................................

etc.

"Why's everybody always thinkin strap pins?"

#-o

S.

I bought a Sheryl Crow model that came with a strap pin at position #4. Makes me nervous, personally.

I rarely use a strap. I sit down to play. But if I had to stand, I still think I'd thread the strap through the top of the guitar above the nut.

But if I were to put a pin of my own in, I'd opt for where yours is. Seems to put the least amount of pull on the pin. But maybe that's an illusion.

I would recommend drilling a pilot hole for the new location there is little chance of cracking wood or heel cap if it is pre-drilled. I know that seems very obvious but it is not always. I have a Hummingbird that the wood heel is split from an attempt (before I got it). Maybe they had a lag screw laying around and just went for it. Who knows? I had a Guild guitar that I took the heel cap off then put the strap button in the wood. When it came time to move it along, I reversed the process. I am also happiest sitting when I play. On the odd occasion I do use a strap around the headstock, behind the nut suits me fine.

I would recommend drilling a pilot hole for the new location there is little chance of cracking wood or heel cap if it is pre-drilled. I know that seems very obvious but it is not always. I have a Hummingbird that the wood heel is split from an attempt (before I got it). Maybe they had a lag screw laying around and just went for it. Who knows? I had a Guild guitar that I took the heel cap off then put the strap button in the wood. When it came time to move it along, I reversed the process. I am also happiest sitting when I play. On the odd occasion I do use a strap around the headstock, behind the nut suits me fine.

If you drill a pilot hole through the heel cap for a screw, that hole needs to be the full diameter of the screw to avoid splitting the plastic cap. You then want the hole drilled for the screw threads in the wood to be slightly smaller than full diameter of the screw, but at least the full depth the screw will penetrate.

Guest GarrettH

Treble side on the neck heel has always seemed to give me a better balance, though the ease of access to the higher register is also a consideration. Not a problem if you just play cowboy songs!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I finally got the strap pin moved to the heel of the neck! No problems, no cracking on the heel cap! I'm pretty ecstatic! BUT....

I have a bigger problem now:

1) Filling in the hole where the strap pin use to use (treble underside of the neck)....But

2) Most importantly the idiot who installed the previous strap pin to a location I did not want it in the first place did not use a washer (piece of cloth) to prevent damaging the finish caused by the button and he tighten it in far too much, now there's a damn indentation in the neck....

Anyone know a good luthier to fill the hole and correct the damage? And how much will a small cosmetic fix like this cost? I bet knowing its a Gibson, they will charge a great amount....

Oh one other thing, should I bring it to a guitar luthier or like a furniture/wood repairs person?

Thanks in advance....

You need someone experienced in the use of nitrocellulose lacquer if you are going to go to the trouble to fill it. Most people would just live with it.

Is this a mahogany neck, or a maple neck?

If you want a recommendation on who to tackle it, you need to tell us where you are.

You need someone experienced in the use of nitrocellulose lacquer if you are going to go to the trouble to fill it. Most people would just live with it.

Is this a mahogany neck, or a maple neck?

If you want a recommendation on who to tackle it, you need to tell us where you are.

Hi j45nick, it has a maple neck, and I'm based in Toronto, Canada. Know any good luthiers here?

Thanks in advance....

Archived