Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone here have a new J-35, AND a Martin D-18???

onewilyfool

Well...I traded my Martin D18V for a J35, and I have no regrets. I was having cramping issues with my hand on the Martin. Combination of the Mod V neck, longer scale and narrower nut width. Since I got the Gibson, my hand has felt great. As far as tone and such, the Gibson is quite a bit louder than the Martin was. The Martin was a great rythym guitar, but the volume would fall away when I went to pick a lead. The Gibby seems more focused tone wise, and I get the dry, woody thing people have talked about-I like it! Fingerpicked it has great note separation and is very easy to play. Struggled fingerpicking the Martin. Now, I have to say, I was a Martin guy through and through, and never had a thing for Gibsons, so there is no bias here. My mind has changed.I have gigged with the Gibson a few times, and have played it good deal, so the honeymoon period is over, but I still get a smile on my face when I pick this guitar. It smells great too. :)

Well...I traded my Martin D18V for a J35, and I have no regrets. I was having cramping issues with my hand on the Martin. Combination of the Mod V neck, longer scale and narrower nut width. Since I got the Gibson, my hand has felt great. As far as tone and such, the Gibson is quite a bit louder than the Martin was. The Martin was a great rythym guitar, but the volume would fall away when I went to pick a lead. The Gibby seems more focused tone wise, and I get the dry, woody thing people have talked about-I like it! Fingerpicked it has great note separation and is very easy to play. Struggled fingerpicking the Martin. Now, I have to say, I was a Martin guy through and through, and never had a thing for Gibsons, so there is no bias here. My mind has changed.I have gigged with the Gibson a few times, and have played it good deal, so the honeymoon period is over, but I still get a smile on my face when I pick this guitar. It smells great too. :)

Hey Brewboy, is your guitar a J-35 from Fuller's guitar, or the new lower priced J-35 that came out this year???

Owf I compared both! A/B them.

The new performance neck on the standard D18 is great and the new D18 is great great bass and mid tones.

The j35 is just as it should be all mids brassy but great for vocals.

I have a J35 so I'd definatly take the Martin both guitars were great. If I never had a guitar at all I'd probably still take the D18

I agree with what Brewboy said about the J-35. They are an outstanding guitar certainly not a poor mans J-45 in any way they have there own sound. Oh and they do smell great.

Hm, D18s and J35s are apples and oranges to be began with, but then there's model details. Not just re the 35's as has been pointed out, but also D18s. You got old ones, 30's reissues with scalloped bracing and recent std models. In terms of value and build quality, a new 35 would be most akin to an 00s std 18; the fvg 35s would be more like a D18v or GE (the scalloped braces makes these 18s smoother, less harsh and cutting than the std). An older 18, even from the 70s is in another ballpark altogether in terms of value (worth more, but no truss rod yada); in terms of tone, you're back to that harsh cutting D18 tone (the sweet spot is there, but like a Tele, you have to work for it). Hope that helps.

At one point I had a martin D-18V and a Fuller's J-35. The D-18V was lush, the J-35 dry.

Currently have a D-18SS (a short scale D-18V) and a J-45. The D-18SS is fullbodied and smooth, the J-45 is hard, clear and loud.

I've got the new J35 and a D18V. To me, the Martin is just bigger and fuller sounding than the Gibby. Not necessarily good or bad, just bigger. I'm mainly a strummer with a little flat picking here and there. If I play the Gibby than pick up the Martin, the sound difference is very noticeable.

Never tried the J35..

But one thing Ill say and always do.

If you want a Martin buy a Huss & Dalton.

They make a better sounding Martin than Martin does.

Have to disagree if ya want a Martin buy a Collings but hey each to there own.

Hahaha Mersey you crack me up. I just played a D1 against 2 40s martin d18s a few weeks ago at myhers music. The Collings was better. A quick search will tell you exactly what I'm saying. Anyhow Huss and dalton do make great guitars but I just don't hear what your hearing

Hahaha Mersey you crack me up. I just played a D1 against 2 40s martin d18s a few weeks ago at myhers music. The Collings was better. A quick search will tell you exactly what I'm saying. Anyhow Huss and dalton do make great guitars but I just don't hear what your hearing

True..it maybe that what I am hearing is subsonic.

I have big *** ears..runs in moms side of the family. God made sure to give us decent looking faces to distract the public from noticing our ears : )

Funny enough, when I play with my hat on it covers the top 1/3 tip of my ears, I notice a distinct loss of sonic detail..may make some difference...but probably only noticeable to canines.

True..it maybe that what I am hearing is subsonic.

I have big *** ears..runs in moms side of the family. God made sure to give us decent looking faces to distract the public from noticing our ears : )

Funny enough, when I play with my hat on it covers the top 1/3 tip of my ears, I notice a distinct loss of sonic detail..may make some difference...but probably only noticeable to canines.

How do you wear a hat that covers your ears?

What is the difference between a j35 and a fiullers j35. I just went to GC and played the j35 and I liked it. It has a brighter sound than my aj, not as much of the lows. I love the lows on my aj. It is a different guitar and I may add it to my stable. I Also played a martin hd28 and it has a nice sound, but I still like the gibson better than Martin, even the j35 which was almost a grand cheaper.

I will add that I did not like the tuners on the j35, just aesthetically they look cheap. I would probably look to replace them just because I hate the look.

Archived