Gibson Brands Forums

Windows PC Dying?

bluesguitar65

Interesting article:

http://beta.fool.com/joekurtz/2013/05/28/hp-windows-pcs-are-dying-and-googles-operating-sys/35352/?source=eogyholnk0000001

HP’s PC-related revenue dropped 20% in the second quarter compared to the prior year. The company’s CEO, Meg Whitman, attempted to downplay the disastrous decline, by noting that it was in the context of an industry-wide trend:

Well, I'm going in the reverse direction away from the "do everything" personal smartphone tripe. My next mobile will be the simplest, most basic model I can find. I don't want any of the super-duper "personal shave sir?" nonsense. I want a phone that enables me to talk A to B and nothing much else.

My desktop needs to be reliable above all else and be able to work with multi-music software (that's Windows 8 junk out for a start). It doesn't need to be small and fancy looking - a great big ugly box is fine as long as it all works ok.

HP Stuff is the worst. I was an IT manager for a while and we got a few HP machines. They were badly built and full of HPs own software which just made them slow and painful to use. I would end up spending half a day with each machine taking all the nonsense off. What a load of rubbish. I wont go near an HP machine again if I can help it.

But yes. Tablets and android are killing it a bit BUT tech industry people always need the power of a pc so they wont completely die but will be a commercial thing rather than a personal device.

I need my laptop for video and sound editing.. I know you can get apps for that sort of thing but they are no where near as powerful or as comprehensive as the pro software you get on a PC or a MAC.

Back in the olden days of 8-bit machines, bottom line was that folks tended to buy software and secondly the hardware/OS that would handle them.

It appears to me that functionally we're headed back to that attitude.

Frankly my smartphone doesn't need all the bells and whistles, but I regularly use voice, text, clock (I stopped wearing a watch), email, camera (even vids) and probably 3-5 times a day Internet access.

That's both for personal and work use.

OTOH, I have two laptops used mostly as music playback systems.

And "real work" is done only on desktops although both full-size laptop and netbook could do most of what I do for work except access to publishing my material on the web that I do daily from my work desktop - and that I can't even do on my far more powerful home desktop.

At home, the desktop does everything from recording for personal use to graphics, etc. - sometimes to process material for work that my work computers have been too slow to handle regardless that they have the "secret pathways" to the rest of the company.

Frankly were I an Apple guy 'stedda a PC guy, I think the same usage paradigm would be followed. I have no need nor inclination to use a pad regardless what OS.

m

I think high-end tower production will continue - but on a smaller scale for the hard-core folks. The lower priced desktop stuff will disappear as most users move toward smaller, scaled down devices. I know some techie folks moving toward central home media servers to house all their music and videos - RAID type setup that lets all users and devices in the home access everything pretty quickly. Seems like a small device that is basically storage with a simple interface would serve those needs well. Why not network your home to a central server like you do at work? Then again, what do I know? I like Macs and those, apparently, are just for kids.

Surf...

Here's the deal...

None of us will have unpaid access to our own material, even programs. We'll functionally just lease space and capability from "the cloud." The platform will be irrelevant regardless that they'll fib for a while.

Your family photos? Best keep paying your cloud fees or they're gone and good luck with a backup hd.

m

I think high-end tower production will continue - but on a smaller scale for the hard-core folks. The lower priced desktop stuff will disappear as most users move toward smaller, scaled down devices. I know some techie folks moving toward central home media servers to house all their music and videos - RAID type setup that lets all users and devices in the home access everything pretty quickly. Seems like a small device that is basically storage with a simple interface would serve those needs well. Why not network your home to a central server like you do at work? Then again, what do I know? I like Macs and those, apparently, are just for kids.

A lot of people do have a network these days.

We got my dad a new LG Smart TV a few weeks ago for his birthday..

This thing is amazing.. built in WiFi, Youtube, BBC Iplayer, Netflix etc all preloaded. You can download games and apps like you do on a phone and because its on the network it will connect to your PC or Smartphone easy or any device connected. It even has a built in media player that so far has played every format ive tried from a USB stick AND if you plug in a large enough hard drive it acts as a DVR allowing you to record and pause live telly etc.. Just madness.. but amazing.

Archived