Gibson Brands Forums

Worst live screw-up?

heymisterk

I'll agree...

OTOH, that's also why I kinda like venues where it's people to people more than performer(s) and audience.

Then again, that might be my age and background coming forth. As I've written before, Kottke seems to do a great job of that sorta thing and he's only a month younger than I am. <grin> (Clapton's a cupla months older, btw.)

I've always rather disliked the gig where I've gotta be the silent musician doing his thing, instrumental or vocal, without any setup whatsoever. On the other hand, I think some folks prefer the "we're the performance and it's scripted so don't expect us to be human." Yeah, that's setting up a polarity rather than a sliding scale but...

m

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What many musicians don't understand is that MOST of the people in ANY audience are musically illiterate.

absolutely correct.

I played a show with another band that I thought was awful. All of the guitar players' tone was way over-processed, the lead player didn't understand scales and often was noodling off key from the song they were playing and struggling to find notes that fit (he told me he had been playing guitar for 30 years!), the singers were so-so and the songs were repetitious and boring (except for the entertainment of watching them struggle to play the thing). Yet when they finished they got as many applause and audience members going "Whoop!" and "Whoo!" as three other better bands playing the show that day.

So yeah, musically illiterate or just darned polite.

I'll agree...

OTOH, that's also why I kinda like venues where it's people to people more than performer(s) and audience.

Then again, that might be my age and background coming forth. As I've written before, Kottke seems to do a great job of that sorta thing and he's only a month younger than I am. <grin> (Clapton's a cupla months older, btw.)

I've always rather disliked the gig where I've gotta be the silent musician doing his thing, instrumental or vocal, without any setup whatsoever. On the other hand, I think some folks prefer the "we're the performance and it's scripted so don't expect us to be human." Yeah, that's setting up a polarity rather than a sliding scale but...

m

I completely agree! I like it to be "real" and people to people! :)

What many musicians don't understand is that MOST of the people in ANY audience are musically illiterate.

Or worse...it's just "noise-filler" in the background, of their "drunken evening out," and just about

as important (to them). Of course, a lot of "musicians" aren't that, at all. They just play "guitar," bass, or

drums, etc. No formal training, no concept of key, and scales! That's not to say informally trained

"musicians" can't be just as good (and, sometimes even better) that formally trained ones. But, to me

(untrained, self-taught), I'd never consider myself a "musician!" Just someone that stuggles to play

decent guitar, on simple "Pop," "Rock & Roll," and "Country" songs.

"Musician," is a whole "nuther" concept/animal! IMHO...as always. [biggrin]

CB

Well I'm sure you've heard that to calm down when speaking in front of a lot of people just picture them in there under-ware.However when playing in front of a lot of people look around and picture which girl your going to nail after the show.I'm sure I've screwed up a few and more times but I remember helping out a friends band because their bass player quit.It was a large biker bar (Wow have I played a lot of biker bars up north)and of course we opened with "Born to be Wild" and after the first two measures the guitar opens up with just before the lyrics start there is a small 8 note bass run and I totally missed it.Unfortunately the singer used the bass run for his que,wow did that stick out big time.

Most people in an audience are not going to catch it anyway. My worst flub-up was during an open mic / instrument at a bar. I was playing Freewill(RUSH) with my son on bass and a sit-in drummer. I screwed up the lick right before the bass solo and guitar solo, but the important part is we kept going without a hitch and I don't think anyone but the three of us on stage really noticed.

My biggest flub-up was not having someone video record the 2-hours of RUSH I just did with my sons' at the block party we hosted. [biggrin][tongue]

My closert thing would be getting on stage the first time with my current band which mostly played covers of songs I have'nt really heard much, and barely got a listen to before showtime. went better than expected [thumbup] but I was also drunker than expected, so might be biased..

I never really had any problem being on stage. I just get into playing mode and that's it. The first few times, and the when it's been a while I'm certainly nervous before I get up there, but while we're playing I don't think about it.

Archived