Gibson Brands Forums

Worst live screw-up?

heymisterk

Okay, in the "Misery-Loves-Company" department...

Today for the closing middle school assembly, some teachers - including me - got up and performed a couple of songs.

I admit that it has been YEARS since I have played electric guitar live; most of my stage experience has been an with the acoustic guitar.

Anyway, we were doing our closing song, "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey (no jokes), and I choked: I was already nervous, and my fingers were shaking. So, it gets to the part in the introduction part that is the first "mini-solo" with the very quick hammer-ons and pull-offs. Well, needless to say, I flubbed it. I got it together for the rest of the song and the solo, but I admit I was embarrassed.

So, I am interested in two things:

1. If you play live, what have been some of your "worst" playing moments?

2. What is your advice for getting over stage fright? Is it true that the only way to get over being afraid of playing live is to play live?

[crying]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid 80s and the band I was in worked on Van Halens "Jump" for about a week. I had the solo to the point where it was passable but certainly not Eddie caliber. When it came time for the solo I choked completely. From beginning to end i hacked it. Screw it man thats rocknroll!

One time I tuned to a backstage piano (showing my age, but this was before portable tuners were common). Anyway, I apparently tuned my E string to an F key on the piano. Oooops. That ended rather more badly than a muffed solo (though like everyone, I've plenty of those).

A few months ago, my band tried doing "Working Man" by Rush, with some bits from "Rock Bottom" by UFO in the solo section....

Bad idea! I can't sing it worth a ****, drummer didn't know it, bassist ****ed up the Rock Bottom part.

I was playing the Troubador, in Los Angeles. It was my first live gig. I was shaking so hard I thought the whole crowd would notice it. Afterwards, my friend said he noticed I was nervous, but doubted anybody else did. I have never been nervous after that to be in front of a live audience.

Oh, one time I was asked to play James Brown's "I Feel Good" and was off tempo by about a half beat. It should be: I feel good da da da da da da da. and I was I feel da da da da da da da. Eh, the drummer throws a couple of sticks at you, the guitarist kills you with his stare and you start over...but, the audience really doesn't notice.

I don't think it is a big deal win a guitarist makes a mistake. Often times it adds some personality and spontaneity into the playing that I find enjoyable. Nothing wrong with a couple of flubs in the playing as long as it doesn't wreck the song. Sometimes a song can sound too perfect and it can make it sound sterile.

2 gigs ago, we started into The Beatles tune, "You Can't Do That," and I totally butchered

the 12-string intro (which, normally, I can play in my sleep ](*,) ), and of course it's on Video

(apparently)...for ALL to see, now. [unsure][blush] "C'est La Vie!" This stuff happens,

even to the best of them.

CB

Oh jeez, too many to count for me. My problem was that I took requests that my bandmates didn't know! [confused]

One time we were playing Hang on Sloopy, right after we did La Villa Strangiato. Our drummer was bored with Sloopy so he decided to mess around with the rhythm. Turns out he messed us up in the process, so we had to stop and replay it again. We were laughing because we played La Villa Strangiato perfectly but screwed up Hang on Sloopy.

Then was another time that our (full) jazz ensemble played an outdoor event. The first two measures was a rhythm section vamp. I was playing the Rhodes and I was trading solos with the guitar player. After about 5 minutes of that our jazz instructor came over and started yelling at us. Turns out that he started the rest of the band, but we didn't see it. They finished the tune and we were still on the vamp!

The easiest way to get over stage fright is to have an "I don't give a sh!t" attitude when playing. My teacher once told me "if you're going to make a mistake, then let the whole world know it!" His point was to have the confidence to not let the mistakes bother you. After a few times of that you don't care anymore.

I've flubbed more times than I can remember.

But the worst as a band I remember was when we tried to play "Times Like These" by Foo Fighters when it was a fairly new song at the time. We had rehearsed it a few times and it was rough, but we all agreed we would work on it individually and get it good enough for the gig. (The bar owner wanted us to play some newer music). Well every one of us had it down EXCEPT the guy who was supposed to sing it, and he never told us he wasn't ready. So we went ahead and played it. [scared] He came in on the wrong chord and continued singing it "off" for the entire song. I kept trying to get the band to just stop playing but everyone kept going. If there would have been a hole in the stage I would have jumped into it to get out of that situation. I could not make eye contact with anyone in the audience and to their credit they didn't throw anything at us or run us off the stage. About the most uncomfortable 3 minutes of my life.

My latest goof happened in front of the in-laws. I was playing "Dust in the Wind" and not really paying attention to what I was doing, as I was trying to listen to the conversation in the next room. Well, when I hit the G chord the second or third time around, my fingers took over and went into a Bm after that. Suddenly I was playing "Puff the Magic Dragon."

Of course, rather than admit what happened, I just played on through, trying to pass it off as planned.

After the in-laws left, my wife walks up and says, "you screwed up, didn't you?" *sigh* Luckily no one else noticed...I hope. LOL

First of all---"with the very quick hammer-ons and pull-offs---that alone will scare me away from a song...lol......Mistakes or not, if you can even "almost" play that song, you're better than I am...........There have been a lot of times I've missed chords, sometimes forget an entire verse. Perhaps the most tedious time was when I was playing a religious coffeehouse named Homer's. This was about 10-12 years ago. It's still likely the prime coffeehouse to play in the KC area, and it's still a religious coffeehouse. Always a full house..I was very aware of keeping my songs clean and respectful. I must have been at least half-way through my hour set and you know how when things are going well you kind of get into that zone where you're cruising on auto pilot? Well, someone asked me to play one of my songs, titled "Caroline." About a young woman I knew years ago who was a stripper. I didn't even think twice about the content of the song or where I was playing. The set was going so smooth and I was enjoying myself, so I took-off on the song. Anyway there's a verse that goes "as she glides around the room she's seducing. A little smile, a nasty laugh. WHAT A B&*&^!" Right at the end of "WHAT A," I caught myself and after just a slight pause I substituted the word "witch." Several people laughed because they know the song. I thought the owner would be pissed-off, but after my set he thanked me for changing the word. He never said anything about what the song was about. Fortunately, I've played there many times since then..............As far as forgotten verses, chords, breaks, totally blowing half the song....I've done my share. Forgot to zip my fly a few times too. You just have to laugh and go on. [thumbup]

Ah man it feels so bad to totally mess up a song live.

My band was playing a song we had just written at a show.. I invited this girl to come watch and she brought her friend.. My band mates started it off kinda rushing, I come in off beat and then break not one but three strings.

Pretty much wanted to give up music after that night but the next shows got much better. Plus the girl is now my girlfriend so it all works out :D

Have any of you had a really bad "set?" We did, about a 6-weeks ago. We did "recover," the next

set, but the first one, was "dismal," (fragmented, and too "loose/uncertain") for some reason.

Too cold (it was outside, and chilly), too tired, couldn't find our (usual) "groove," etc. I hope

that NEVER happens, again. Even with our "recovery," I was very depressed, after that gig.

And, for a time, seriously considered "hanging it up," for good...as far as "playing out," goes. [unsure]

I've since reconsidered that, at least for now. [mellow][tongue]

CB

not sure how culpable I am for this one, but - during a show one night, we get to Still Got The Blues, in the 500 times prior to this show, I just play the intro, and everyone comes in once the drummer hits the 1.... Well, this time he never hit the 1... I was left standing there, with that note hanging in mid air. I turned around and looked at him, "Really??", he says "What??" idiot... "Okay folks, I just wanted to make sure they were paying attention, they weren't... we're trying this one again.."

I play guitar every week in a church. This past week I played an upbeat hymn with the organist playing the piano for a change. He is a better pianist than he is an organist and we were really rocking the song. Then we both changed our voicing at the same time; the song was in G and I was playing up the neck then we both dropped our register and I went to open strings, well the congregation just totally lost us and started going their own timing and it got way off for them. Me and pianist never really got off, but everyone came up to us afterwards and said "What happened to that last hymn?"

I have lots of worse screw ups, but that one was recent. I've started playing songs I planned to capo without the capo, putting me in the wrong key, I've gotten so nervous my fingers froze up, etc. Just gotta keep playing.

In my 1st band we didn't even realise to begin with that we had to 'map out' the tunes, i.e. 2 verses, solo, verse or whatever and 'you do this bit here' etc...We got away with it for a couple of gigs but then played in front of everybody we knew at a packed local pub. I turned and looked at the drummer half-way through 'Crossroads' and....he stopped! Thought we were finishing....then started again!

At the end of the set (it seemed like a lifetime later) my mate Ken came up and said "Well you really did all go different ways at the Crossroads then BAHHAHAHAHA!!!"

Well it was one way of learning - I've had a few embarrassments since then but I'll always remember good ol' Ken's comment!

I've played stuff in the wrong key or position many times. One time I remember though is when started the intro to "House Is Rockin" by SRV. Everyone knows he tunes a half step low, so there was confusion as to what key we were doing it in. I started I think in C, which is the SRV postion but the band was thinking B because that's what matches the ear. I was halfway through the intro when I heard the keyboard player yell my name and saw everyone in the band just staring at me. [blush] I had to stop and apologise to everyone including the bar and say "Let's try it again in the right key this time". #-o

Open mic events are proliferating down our way...

And they could have been invented specifically to iron out 'mess-ups' and stage fright...

Two of my worst situations are...not being sure what to play due to earlier performers 'stealing my stuff'

And forgetting the words... :blink: which required me to take a music stand onstage...a habit I am starting to cure...

A large number of performers I know 'tank up' with alcohol beforehand, either for enjoyment or to combat stage fright

Some of the younger ones 'tank up' so much that they enjoy themselves hugely through an over loud PA...and often sing the same song several times...

A couple of tricks re stage fright...move around a bit to shake loose, get used to introducing and talking through each song

Playing solo is considerably more demanding than group work...people admire soloists without necessarily saying so...

Perceived audience feedback can be zero...when in fact they are really into your stuff

It's a funny old world...and can hinge on having a good MC on the day... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Really? I always make mistakes when I play out, I'm a very part-time giger so I only rehearse on a part-time basis as well so I'll have good shows where I don't make as many flub's but there have only been a few dam-near perfect one's. I don't play to much in the Winter so I will some-times go for a few month's with out even picking up a guitar or drum-stick, it show's by the time spring rolls around and I start doing gig's. I usually tighten up after the first one or two show's and by mid Summer I'm doing "good" show's. This past Winter I tried using my local Open Mic's to keep me in tune but there's to much difference in playing for 15 min rather then 3 hour's.

Open mic events are proliferating down our way...

And they could have been invented specifically to iron out 'mess-ups' and stage fright...

Two of my worst situations are...not being sure what to play due to earlier performers 'stealing my stuff'

And forgetting the words... :blink: which required me to take a music stand onstage...a habit I am starting to cure...

A large number of performers I know 'tank up' with alcohol beforehand, either for enjoyment or to combat stage fright

Some of the younger ones 'tank up' so much that they enjoy themselves hugely through an over loud PA...and often sing the same song several times...

A couple of tricks re stage fright...move around a bit to shake loose, get used to introducing and talking through each song

Playing solo is considerably more demanding than group work...people admire soloists without necessarily saying so...

Perceived audience feedback can be zero...when in fact they are really into your stuff

It's a funny old world...and can hinge on having a good MC on the day... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I can see your point, but I'm so old that most of the people at the Open Mic's I go to haven't much exposure to the song's I like to play. [biggrin]

Archived