Gibson Brands Forums

Tony R's 35 D 28

JuanCarlosVejar

The silver color of the strings suggests that it might be strung up with the new Monels? That's a helluva nice sounding guitar, but then I'm thinking Tony Rice could probably make a cereal box strung with dental floss sound pretty close to heaven.

It is an interesting guitar. Tony has the action set very low, strings it with nickel ("Monel") strings, and gets glorious tone and volume from it. We mere mortals who have been blessed with playing it have all struggled to get volume from it with that low action and to come anywhere near to the tone that Tony pulls from it.

We mere mortals who have been blessed with playing it have all struggled to get volume from it with that low action and to come anywhere near to the tone that Tony pulls from it.

Funny how that works out, isn't it?

I give one of my guitars to someone good to play, and they always sound great. I pick it up, and it sounds like me again......

I keep looking for the magic guitar that makes me sound good. Haven't found it yet. But I'm still looking.

That guitar sounds so good..and with Nickel Strings???

And thats one smooth guitar player.

Would a liked him to pick up a new Martin version of that guitar from .."a smoke free home"...and only "10 hrs use on it"..oh yes and one small scratch that can only be seen with a microscope.. so we can hear the difference.

Funny how that works out, isn't it?

I give one of my guitars to someone good to play, and they always sound great. I pick it up, and it sounds like me again......

I keep looking for the magic guitar that makes me sound good. Haven't found it yet. But I'm still looking.

That's just your humble nature nick . I'll bet that the guy you're jamming with is thinking the same thing in reverse

The strings he was using at the time of the video were most likely the now unavailable D'Aquisto Tony Rice nickel strings. He played Monels was back in the 70s, but they quit making them, so he moved on to Vinci nickel strings, then they went out of business...and so on. He's said in numerous interviews that he looks for strings that don't color the tone of the guitar. And he's apparently delighted that Martin is reissuing Monels under his name.

The strings he was using at the time of the video were most likely the now unavailable D'Aquisto Tony Rice nickel strings. He played Monels was back in the 70s, but they quit making them, so he moved on to Vinci nickel strings, then they went out of business...and so on. He's said in numerous interviews that he looks for strings that don't color the tone of the guitar. And he's apparently delighted that Martin is reissuing Monels under his name.

Exactly. Martin has reissued the Monel strings.

As one poster noted, Tony is an incredibly smooth player. I love watching his left hand. When he removes a finger after fretting, the finger barely clears the string.

I played Tony's guitar with Tony watching, which made me even more aware of my lack of technique. But, Tony is a class act who managed to say something positive even about my playing on that famous D-28.

Moves the pick hand with precision as well. Can't hardly think of a more articulate player. I recall reading an interview where he credited J. D. Crowe an an example for that. In any case, he is a joy to listen to. While I don't particularly aspire to play like him, I sure do admire his touch and tonality.

the album of duets he recorded with Ricky Skaggs, also demonstrates the wonderful singing abilities he had.Beautiful stuff.
. Uhm-hm. That one (Skaggs + RIce), the first Blake & RIce, and his solo Church St Blues get his voice and guitar right out there, front and center, with no band to fight through.

the album of duets he recorded with Ricky Skaggs, also demonstrates the wonderful singing abilities he had.Beautiful stuff.
. Uhm-hm. That one (Skaggs + RIce), the first Blake & RIce, and his solo Church St Blues get his voice and guitar right out there, front and center, with no band to fight through.

One of the most legendary Martins out there. The soundhole had already been enlarged when Clarence bought the guitar and he replaced the fingerboard which was missing from the 1st fret to the nut with one off a Gretsch guitar. Marty Stuart owns Clarence's white Tele with the B-Bender added. I have been told he has been known to just have it there on the stage with him.

I only got to see Clarence White late in his career when he was with the Byrds. Wish I had known about him earlier though.

One of the most legendary Martins out there.

Yes, probably the most famous flattop guitar in history. We at Fretboard Journal ran a detailed article on the guitar in our fifth issue:

fj05_rice.jpg

Yes, probably the most famous flattop guitar in history. We at Fretboard Journal ran a detailed article on the guitar in our fifth issue:

fj05_rice.jpg

Would be interesting to know what gauge of strings he uses..relief level of neck and height of strings from top of 12th fret to bottom of E/E strings.

I will have to give it a look. That Martin is just one of those guitars you would love to hold for a few minutes and strum a few chords - like Buddy Holly's J-45, heh.

I will have to give it a look. That Martin is just one of those guitars you would love to hold for a few minutes and strum a few chords - like Buddy Holly's J-45, heh.

Exactly like that. But, at least when I played Buddy's J-45, Buddy wasn't watching my mistakes.

I saw Tony back in the '70's and don't recall that much about him as I was more taken in by the total sound of the band at that time, and I wasn't a guitar player then. But then I got to see him again at Merlefest about three years ago and I was sitting in the second row and could really see his hands and the economy of motion really stood out for me. He was just so smooth and concise...and I'd say that he has perhaps lost more of his former abilities than Doc did over a longer span of time. But he still sounded damn good.

Oooohhh, that guitar sounds gooood. A 28, yes – but with what seems to be a 35 fretboard.

And old pictures from before White's hair grew out, show it had that neck (and the bigger hole) forever.

You are one lucky man to have played it JT.

I'm sure you would tell us if the dread have 3-piece back. Then again you do know anything about the bracing.

Thanx for posting JCV - you do the job of an excellent track-hound for clips like these ,-)

Oooohhh, that guitar sounds gooood. A 28, yes – but with what seems to be a 35 fretboard.

And old pictures from before White's hair grew out, show it had that neck (and the bigger hole) forever.

You are one lucky man to have played it JT.

I'm sure you would tell us if the dread have 3-piece back. Then again you do know anything about the bracing.

Thanx for posting JCV - you do the job of an excellent track-hound for clips like these ,-)

Em7, here's a link to some of the details of Rice's (White's) much-modified old D-28. Sort of makes me feel better about my much-modified old J-45.

My link

Archived