Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pin material on my Doves?

solving

So, yesterday I re-strung my Doves In Flight…

I've been reading a little about different material for the bridge pins and started looking at the ones on my Doves and I'm no expert but my guess is that they're plastic.

Considering it's a expensive Custom guitar I have I feel that plastic is not what I want.

I can't find any info on Gibson.com

How can I tell the difference between plastic and i.e ivory ???

Now I don't think I could tell the difference sonically between wood, ivory, tusq or whatever but I know these materials has a better durability and would like to replace my pins to something more high standard

So I did the glowing needle test.........A $ 5.000 guitar and the put plastic pins on it..... I know I can't hear the differnce but I bought a luxurious guitar and they the saddle and nut are bone...... i think it's low........[confused]

dove_zpsbb83d3f4.jpg

Uuups, you went straight for the ball - bang.

It must mean you knew you would exchange them immediately if plastic.

But keep your eyes on the ball – it's clear there is a 'molding-line' right over the top (don't know what it's called in English).

You wouldn't see that on any kind of bone.

Let's hear what you hear when the new ones are down.

Btw. apart from the 'molding-line', many players seem to be quite satisfied with plast.

Board member EA f.x. finds that it is the plast which provides the real and final touch of sticky glimmer to the Hummingbird honey glaze.

Others just accept the material as fine or no issue.

Guess it can be seen as a possibility to add your personal touch to the guitar - like the tr-cover, but here with effect on the sound also.

I change most of mine to different materials and do the last sonic adjustment that way.

Enjoy the little mission.

.A $ 5.000 guitar and the put plastic pins on it.....

How's Gibson supposed to know whether you want bone, or FWI, or '30s-like machined hard plastic, or ... pins, whether you want abalone dots, whether you want slotted or unslotted, etc.? They give you perfectly functional pins that looked fine to you until yesterday knowing that, when and if you feel like it, you can replace them with something you like better. Why would you rather pay $5100 for the same guitar with $100 bridge pins of Gibsons choice when you can just buy the same pins using the $100 you saved -- or buy different pins you like better and maybe have some change left over, or use the $100 toward some super deluxe pins you love, or just stick with the perfectly good free pins and spend the $100 on something else entirely. There's just no scenario where you come out ahead by having Gibson use fancy bridge pins, so I'm always a bit mystified that so many people whine about the plastic pins.

Unless, of course, what they really want is upgraded bridge pins for free. But why stop there? Why not ask for Waverleys for free? And a Hoffee case for free? Heck, just proceed to the "something for nothing" limit and ask for the guitar for free. :)

-- Bob R

How's Gibson supposed to know whether you want bone, or FWI, or '30s-like machined hard plastic, or ... pins, whether you want abalone dots, whether you want slotted or unslotted, etc.? They give you perfectly functional pins that looked fine to you until yesterday knowing that, when and if you feel like it, you can replace them with something you like better. Why would you rather pay $5100 for the same guitar with $100 bridge pins of Gibsons choice when you can just buy the same pins using the $100 you saved -- or buy different pins you like better and maybe have some change left over, or use the $100 toward some super deluxe pins you love, or just stick with the perfectly good free pins and spend the $100 on something else entirely. There's just no scenario where you come out ahead by having Gibson use fancy bridge pins, so I'm always a bit mystified that so many people whine about the plastic pins.

Unless, of course, what they really want is upgraded bridge pins for free. But why stop there? Why not ask for Waverleys for free? And a Hoffee case for free? Heck, just proceed to the "something for nothing" limit and ask for the guitar for free. :)

-- Bob R

If you would buy a $3 million house, would you settle with a descent kitchen cause the company who built it doesn't know what kind of kitchen you like??????

Don't you agree that plastic doesn't fit the rest of the guitars standard?

Sure, Gibson can't possible know what I want my pins to be made of..... my point is that if I pay a lot for a guitar it should not live up to my expectations.... it should exceed them.......

I do not. Back in the '30s, plastic was perceived was a modern wonder material, and the switch from bone pins to plastic pins would be considered an upgrade by most folks. Now, people regard plastic inferior, for a variety of reasons, but it's inherently a perfectly nice material for bridge pins. And most of my high end guitars have plastic pins, because I see no reason to change them. They work, and evidently people cannot tell they're plastic without torturing them with a red hot needle.

The problem with your kitchen analogy is that replacing the kitchen with the kitchen I want would cost me more in toto than doing it right in the first place and leave me without a kitchen for a month. Replacing the bridge pins if I choose saves me money -- I can buy fancy pins as cheaply as Gibson can, and avoid two levels of price markup -- , ensures I have exactly what I want, and doesn't deprive me of use of the guitar in the meanwhile.

-- Bob R

If you would buy a $3 million house, would you settle with a descent kitchen cause the company who built it doesn't know what kind of kitchen you like??????

Sure, Gibson can't possible know what I want my pins to be made of..... my point is that if I pay a lot for a guitar it should not live up to my expectations.... it should exceed them.......

I agree with you, it's just my opinion but, I think it's really, really stupid that they do that. I agree 100% with what you said, why get all the finest quality material for your guitar then at the end use plastic pins? I know people will ***** and moan about what I'm saying and that's fine I guess but I'm sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me, no matter what way you try to explain it.

I prefer plastic to any other type of pin for several reasons:

1. It's what the originals had in the 1920s - 1960s

2. Bone or fossilized ivory add mass to the bridge which, generally, is not good for tone

3. The pins match the plastic binding on the guitar

These are my bridge pins of choice: a perfect match for the vintage originals.

-- Bob R

Well Hell....BObR....It would be the NEW America way.......entitlement society ! ....OR ain't that the way YOU roll ? [confused]

I do not. Back in the '30s, plastic was perceived was a modern wonder material, and the switch from bone pins to plastic pins would be considered an upgrade by most folks. Now, people regard plastic inferior, for a variety of reasons, but it's inherently a perfectly nice material for bridge pins. And most of my high end guitars have plastic pins, because I see no reason to change them. They work, and evidently people cannot tell they're plastic without torturing them with a red hot needle.

The problem with your kitchen analogy is that replacing the kitchen with the kitchen I want would cost me more in toto than doing it right in the first place and leave me without a kitchen for a month. Replacing the bridge pins if I choose saves me money -- I can buy fancy pins as cheaply as Gibson can, and avoid two levels of price markup -- , ensures I have exactly what I want, and doesn't deprive me of use of the guitar in the meanwhile.

-- Bob R

I had to do the bone upgrade too, cause that's what everybody on every guitar forum in the world says to do! It changed my J-45 from a guitar I loved the 1st time I played an E chord to something else?? I left it that way for a few years because it was "cool! About 6 or 7 months ago I put the plastic pins back. Now the bone pins just sit in the case! I'm thinking to put the Tusq saddle back, with the next string change.

I prefer plastic to any other type of pin for several reasons:

1. It's what the originals had in the 1920s - 1960s

2. Bone or fossilized ivory add mass to the bridge which, generally, is not good for tone

3. The pins match the plastic binding on the guitar

These are my bridge pins of choice: a perfect match for the vintage originals.

I agree with all these points...these Antique Acoustic pins are really nice. Vintage specs and really nice looking...their tuners and tuner buttons are also really quite nice. I generally don't notice much difference in tone with different pins....other than a D28 that sounds very harsh with bone pins for some reason...

Archived