Gibson Brands Forums

DAVE'S GUITAR SHOP

SouthpawKen

I was looking at Gibson's online-dealer list and noticed Dave's Guitar Shop. I checked out their website and I was rather impressed with what I saw. I was just wondering if any of you Groovy Gibsonites out there, have ever made a purchase through them and if your experience was positive [thumbup] or negative [thumbdn] . Please share your experience.

Ken - Some of the guys from the old deceased Gibson Forums could and would both do business and vouch for Dave's. I don't see a couple of the names I'm thinking of here anymore. If Raptor still came here, he would be able to offer better insight than me. That said, all via phone and computer, Dave's almost sold me a guitar when I was looking at a particular used 50ies Les Paul about 10 yrs. ago. The salesman I spoke with was very helpful, etc. The store stayed pretty darn firm on its price for a plain top they had aquired. I had to pass. So price was the only issue. Not much real help I know, but maybe a start to discussion will bring some folks by who have dealt with Dave's. Good luck. - Steve

I don't know about Dave, but I did look at his collection. Really, it's sad. He has hundreds of guitars just sitting around in cases not being used. I now have one six string guitar (the Gibson LP Studio Deluxe) and I want to buy a Fender Stratocaster 57 Reissue. My wife says: "You can only play one guitar at a time." Maybe she's right.

My theory is this...if everyone who had a vintage guitar sitting around in a case that was not being used decided to sell them, the market would be flooded with vintage guitars. It would cause a guitar market crash. I guess I'm just bitter.

Oh, back to Dave. His prices don't seem any better than other places I have seen. But, if they offer great customer service, have the guitar you want and treat you well, go for it. For me, it's about the price, but solid customer service and a place that treats you with respect will always get a first look. I used Wilcutt Guitars for a bass I wanted and they treated me very well. I always look at their site before I go shopping. They have a 57 strat reissue and I would definitely give them first chance to sell me one.

Let me know how Dave's works out.

Back in September 2012 I was looking for Rickenbacker 360/12C63 and was told that he had some coming in November. And he said that he would contact me when he got them in. Needless to say I never heard from him, so I went on the site and saw that he had gotten them in. I made it clear that I was displeased with his customer service. So l purchased it from another dealer. For what it's worth I don't think that I would trust this fellow. Good luck.

Ken - Some of the guys from the old deceased Gibson Forums could and would both do business and vouch for Dave's. I don't see a couple of the names I'm thinking of here anymore. If Raptor still came here, he would be able to offer better insight than me. That said, all via phone and computer, Dave's almost sold me a guitar when I was looking at a particular used 50ies Les Paul about 10 yrs. ago. The salesman I spoke with was very helpful, etc. The store stayed pretty darn firm on its price for a plain top they had aquired. I had to pass. So price was the only issue. Not much real help I know, but maybe a start to discussion will bring some folks by who have dealt with Dave's. Good luck. - Steve

Thanks for your reply. From the sounds of it, negotiating a great deal could be a little tough with them. I like the way they display the actual guitars they have for sale. When it comes to shellin' out the clams on plus tops, this is of importance to me. That's what I dig about Music Zoo, Sweetwater and Wildwood, they take great snaps of their pieces. :rolleyes:

I don't know about Dave, but I did look at his collection. Really, it's sad. He has hundreds of guitars just sitting around in cases not being used. I now have one six string guitar (the Gibson LP Studio Deluxe) and I want to buy a Fender Stratocaster 57 Reissue. My wife says: "You can only play one guitar at a time." Maybe she's right.

My theory is this...if everyone who had a vintage guitar sitting around in a case that was not being used decided to sell them, the market would be flooded with vintage guitars. It would cause a guitar market crash. I guess I'm just bitter.

Oh, back to Dave. His prices don't seem any better than other places I have seen. But, if they offer great customer service, have the guitar you want and treat you well, go for it. For me, it's about the price, but solid customer service and a place that treats you with respect will always get a first look. I used Wilcutt Guitars for a bass I wanted and they treated me very well. I always look at their site before I go shopping. They have a 57 strat reissue and I would definitely give them first chance to sell me one.

Let me know how Dave's works out.

Thanks for your response. The prices they post are like all the rest of the online-dealers. However, you usually can negotiate for a much lower price. I've had very good luck with Sweetwater and Wildwood. The Music Zoo is a little tougher to deal with, however nice choices and in a couple of cases, they had me by the nads! [scared]

Back in September 2012 I was looking for Rickenbacker 360/12C63 and was told that he had some coming in November. And he said that he would contact me when he got them in. Needless to say I never heard from him, so I went on the site and saw that he had gotten them in. I made it clear that I was displeased with his customer service. So l purchased it from another dealer. For what it's worth I don't think that I would trust this fellow. Good luck.

That scores as a [thumbdn] Thanks!

I don't have 1st hand purchases from Dave's, however I have bought 2 guitars used that were purchased new from Dave's. Those former owners had good things to say about their experiences & prices seemed fair.

I HAVE purchased from Fuller Guitar and would again in a heartbeat. Great people, pretty competitive with prices compared to the MF, Sam Ash & GC of the box discounters too. They will order, which is what I did for a Fuller J-160E reissue they have made for them. Excellent service, fair price too. Ask for Jeremy Fuller. No affiliation with them, just liked the service.

Aster

Have not personally bought from them, but had a bandmate who did, and the experience was good. Price was competitive with anywhere else on the guitar he wanted, and when it arrived it was as advertised, well packed in good shape and playable right out of the box. Dave's is a little different than the other mega-online stores like Sweetwater etc, as he actually has a brick and mortar store in LaCrosse Wis for many years where he earned a reputation for finding some sweet vintage guitars. He added the on-line sales when that became a viable business. He has one store - not a chain like Sam Ash or Guitar Center, so there is more personal service involved. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them and have been considering an L5 he has.

Have not personally bought from them, but had a bandmate who did, and the experience was good. Price was competitive with anywhere else on the guitar he wanted, and when it arrived it was as advertised, well packed in good shape and playable right out of the box. Dave's is a little different than the other mega-online stores like Sweetwater etc, as he actually has a brick and mortar store in LaCrosse Wis for many years where he earned a reputation for finding some sweet vintage guitars. He added the on-line sales when that became a viable business. He has one store - not a chain like Sam Ash or Guitar Center, so there is more personal service involved. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them and have been considering an L5 he has.

Cool, I'm gonna give that a [thumbup] Thanks for your response. An L5 ahh? [thumbup] on that one as well.

...play only one guitar at a time? true, but you gotta be more creative in your retort! If she's like most wives...you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time too! [thumbup] What's the fun in that?

I have personally dealt with Dave Rogers, 100% professional, with unquestionable honesty and integrity.

As for pricing, that's up to you to decide, ALL prices are negotiable. It's still a "buyers market" out there on guitars. Do your research, decided what the guitar is worth to YOU, and make a realistic offer. It's also usually worth a few extra bucks to deal with professional guitar "dealer" like Dave, instead of phone-bank call center order takers and/or big-box store quota/commission driven types.

Archived