Gibson Brands Forums

What information can anyone give on my Gibson SG 2006 Mahogany

Snoopy69

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2006 faded mahogany Gibson SG. I am an absolute beginner but wanted a good solid guitar that I could upgrade in years to come. Any information or insights on this guitar from the forum? Thanks!

post-58207-044216500 1374780347_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2006 faded mahogany Gibson SG. I am an absolute beginner but wanted a good solid guitar that I could upgrade in years to come. Any information or insights on this guitar from the forum? Thanks!

Photos, would help! There have been several "Faded" series SG's. It is a "dot neck" Special

or a Faded/Satin finished "Standard?" Even the venerable '61 SG Reissue came (for a limited time)

in a Satin (some called "faded") finish.

Whichever it is, it won't really "need" much "upgrading," save what you may want to do, to

actually "personalize" it, a bit. They're all great versions!! Congratulations, on your

purchase! SG's Rule!! [thumbup] (But, so do ES's, and Les Paul's!) [biggrin]

CB

Thanks Charlie Brown! As your trusty beagle, I can tell you that this is a "dot neck" Special. Unfortunately, I can't seem to upload these pics as they are too big......Im not very good with computers I am afraid.

Snoopy

Photos, would help! There have been several "Faded" series SG's. It is a "dot neck" Special

or a Faded/Satin finished "Standard?" Even the venerable '61 SG Reissue came (for a limited time)

in a Satin (some called "faded") finish.

Whichever it is, it won't really "need" much "upgrading," save what you may want to do, to

actually "personalize" it, a bit. They're all great versions!! Congratulations, on your

purchase! SG's Rule!! [thumbup] (But, so do ES's, and Les Paul's!) [biggrin]

CB

You made my whole day!!!! Guess I ahve a decent platform to learn on......I'm stoked!!!!

Snoopy

It's got 490t and 490r pickups, Rounded neck profile. Some say that the faded finish makes the guitar resonate better. I have seen many pro players use this guitar

Absolutely, a "Decent" guitar! [thumbup] And, as long as YOU love it, that's all that matters,

anyway! If I had one, I'd probably put covers on the pickups (I just prefer them, that way),

and make sure there are no sharp "fret ends," and that it was set-up well (as with any guitar)

...but, other than than, I doubt I'd feel the need to "mod" it any more.

I've demo'd several, of that model. All were really nice, a couple had heavier necks,

so tended to "neck dive" a bit...but, a good strap takes care of that, for the most part.

They do have a fatter, rounded neck, than I'm used to...but, it's no big deal, and easy

to get used to...IMHO.

Cheers,

CB

Thanks Charlie Brown!!! I've been on you tube and have learned the following simple tunes:

1) Highway to hell

2) Seven Bridges Road

3) Margaritaville

4) Hells Bells (Still working on this one)

5) House of the rising sun (Also still working on this one)

For only starting the guitar 3 weeks ago, I am having a ball so far. I think I have a very experienced local performer who is willing to show me some things so should be a fun journey.

Thanks again for the feedback.....

Snoopy

Absolutely, a "Decent" guitar! [thumbup] And, as long as YOU love it, that's all that matters,

anyway! If I had one, I'd probably put covers on the pickups (I just prefer them, that way),

and make sure there are no sharp "fret ends," and that it was set-up well (as with any guitar)

...but, other than than, I doubt I'd feel the need to "mod" it any more.

I've demo'd several, of that model. All were really nice, a couple had heavier necks,

so tended to "neck dive" a bit...but, a good strap takes care of that, for the most part.

They do have a fatter, rounded neck, than I'm used to...but, it's no big deal, and easily

to get used to...IMHO.

Cheers,

CB

Charlie Brown, you should know that Snoopy IS Joe Cool and therefore should be expected to play electric guitar!!!! msp_cool.gif

And...Who knew, Snoopy played guitar...I thought, all these years, he hung out with

that little yellow bird, and only flew Bi-Planes, chasing the Red Baron! [biggrin]

CB

Thanks Capmaster....this is the start of a FUN journey I think...... :)

Congrats, Snoopy69 - great instrument! [thumbup]

Your purchase reminds me of the fact that my first valuable guitar is my 1978 SG Standard bought used in 1982...

Thanks Stevil! I am super stoked to start learning on this guitar. Its even more fun when there is a great bunch of folks to talk about with like you guys!

Snoopy

Congrats on the Special Snoopy, I had a Special a couple of years back now in heritage cherry, worst thing I ever did was selling her on....Here are the only 3 photos I took of her.

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

gibson1.jpg

Happy playing Snoopy, I wish the best with your new guitar, Specials are pretty awesome. Yes, this place is chock full of nice people ready with helpful advise etc. I've not been a member here too long, but I feel really welcome. [thumbup]

Thanks to everyone for a great thread. Question, when the time comes, would anyone suggest changing out the 490 pickups for something else? I am looking for a classic sound, Clapton, Knopfler, Lindsey Buckingham type, but can also go AC/DC if I want it.....anybody know what I mean? msp_thumbup.gif

Replies appreciated as always,

Snoopy

Thanks to everyone for a great thread. Question, when the time comes, would anyone suggest changing out the 490 pickups for something else? I am looking for a classic sound, Clapton, Knopfler, Lindsey Buckingham type, but can also go AC/DC if I want it.....anybody know what I mean? msp_thumbup.gif

Replies appreciated as always,

Snoopy

Well, for what it's worth, I have '57's, in my SG's! LOVE those pickups!

I've even put them in my LP Classic! The stock pickups in that LP Classic,

were just "too hot," for what I like to do. The '57's are perfect!! They

instantly brought back the tone, that I knew and loved!

IMHO, as always.

CB

Well, for what it's worth, I have '57's, in my SG's! LOVE those pickups!

I've even put them in my LP Classic! The stock pickups in that LP Classic,

were just "too hot," for what I like to do. The '57's are perfect!! They

instantly brought back the tone, that I knew and loved!

IMHO, as always.

CB

+1

57s are really amazing!! [thumbup]

Archived