Gibson Brands Forums

Played a 1961 LG1 Today

Joe M

Visited one of my local shops and hanging on the wall, on consignment, was this 61/62 LG1. Of course, my local pusher told me I had to play it that it sounded really good. The guitar was easily an 8 out of 10 condition, hardly any real play wear at all. They had just got it in and one of the owners, who's also a great tech, still was going to shave down the saddle to make it play a little easier, since it had a ton of saddle left and the action was pretty high. It did play and sound very good but I'm just not a small-body guitar guy, give me a dred or nothing.

Anyway, the story behind it was one of those "why doesn't this happen to me?" stories. Apparently, the woman who owned it bought it from a friend a few years ago after her friend's husband had died and she was trying to get rid of some of the stuff he had accumulated. I said something like...she didn't pay $100 for it? Nope...$50??? Nope....got it for $20. When I asked him if she knew what she had, he said no, she was just trying to help her friend out. They had it marked $1800. Now if it had been a J45 or Hummingbird, I would have jumped all over it.

So I guess there still are those "under the bed" stories out there, as I said, I just need to have one of them happen to me....

I've seen a 1952 LG-3 for about that much in need of a saddle shave and I know it sounds better than my LG3, but I can't bring myself to have TWO of them. And I can't wait for the other one to sell if I went that route.

A ladder-braced shouldn't be more than $900 or so, right? Maybe $1100?

Folks on this board have better negotiating skills than I do and could probably score it for much less. Though someone who fleeces a little old lady for next to nothing...that's some bad mojo.

I would agree with that fleecing part. When you're in business IMO you do have a responsibility to make $$. You also have a responsibility to BE FAIR. I just did some trades with a client that was for some gear we'll have to have repaired and may or may not be able to sell. Didn't give a ton for it but I think I was fair as it was salvage prices. If it don't sell & I have $500 in a 6zone Distributed Audio receiver that sold for $3000 (before the company went belly up) then the damn thing will go to my house & rock my socks off. But being fair is what's it all about. Everyone wins then.

I love the look of your guitar Joe, is that a J-60 or is it a slope, as I'm not familiar with what I can see. Love the striped pick guard!!

Aster

Aster, you may have misunderstood my post.....the store had nothing to do with the deal that went down between this woman who owns the guitar and her "friend" that she bought it from, they have just hung it on the wall at what they felt was a good price. Whether or not the owner of the guitar decides to let her friend in on the profits is up to her, not the store.

My avatar is from this site's library, it's supposed to be an AJ, although the one I own is a plain top, not sunburst.

What do you do when you walk into a retailer that lists an item at a price twice its value? Walk back out the door.

I sure don't know who priced the guitar, why blame the store? I'd guess it was the owner of the guitar.

I do not go near consignment instruments. The store needs to sell it for enough to satisfy the owner and get a decent commission. Just no wiggle room there.

There is stuff out there that can be had at bargain basement prices. I have struck gold twice in the last 10 or so years and snagged two fairly rare guitars for pennies on the dollar. Key is to be in the right place at the right time, know what you are looking at, and have built up some good Kharma.

I do not go near consignment instruments. The store needs to sell it for enough to satisfy the owner and get a decent commission. Just no wiggle room there.

There is stuff out there that can be had at bargain basement prices. I have struck gold twice in the last 10 or so years and snagged two fairly rare guitars for pennies on the dollar. Key is to be in the right place at the right time, know what you are looking at, and have built up some good Kharma.

Yes, timing is everything. You really need to know the value of what you're looking at, as you obviously do. Unfortunately, it seems this woman got a 'steal' for $20 and is over-compensating by trying to rob someone by charging double the value of an LG1. You'd think the store would know they can't get her a fair value ($900 for an LG1, LG2s are much more desirable) and tack on a 100% commish. Maybe they hope to encourage an offer somewhere between the $900 and the $1800? Are all their instruments marked up like that? Are they asking MSRP for new ones? Oh well. At the end of the day - their problem not ours.

Archived