Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone wish list?

jbailes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Epiphone should allow artists to special order the guitars of their dreams. Like a "signature model" but only available to the person who ordered it. I wouldn't mind dishing out a little extra cash if they made it to my exact specifications.

Many of us replace stock electronics and hardware, which gets expensive sometimes. Why not save some cash and have it all already in a factory new guitar? Unless you like to experiment and do it all yourself ;)

Many of us replace stock electronics and hardware, which gets expensive sometimes. Why not save some cash and have it all already in a factory new guitar? Unless you like to experiment and do it all yourself ;)

`

The problem there, is..."what" electronics should Epi use, to please "Us?" Everyone that changes

pickups and electronics, quite often use different brand pickups, person to person...so, Epiphone

couldn't please everyone, anyway. They've vastly improved their "stock" pickups, already, from

what they used to use. And, since we DO often change out, to what "We" like, whatever they ended

up using, would still be changed, by a lot of folks, that have their own favorites, anyway. Pots

and switches aren't very expensive, so it would be nice if they'd use American made versions, there.

Even if they had to (very slightly) increase the price 10-15 bucks, to cover the difference.

As to hardware...the locking bridges and tailpieces, and Grover or Waverly tuners, are a vast improvement,

on previous hardware, so if people change that, they're really splitting hairs, IMHO. I can't see Epiphone

needing to change their hardware, as long as it's consistent, and of sufficient quality.

CB

Yeah, an accurate, original style "Riviera" would be GREAT!! [thumbup][-o<

CB

Yes!

Vintage correct spec, including correct horn-shape for the year (i like the slightly more pointed horns of the later 60's models vs the mickeymouse horns of the early 60's ones), single-piece neck, correct trussrod route and 2-screw trussrod cover, minis with the correct hard-edges (vs the more beveled ones of reissues), nickel hw, etc.

Nitro would probably be too much to ask for though

But I'm afraid they would have to do some retooling at the factory to achieve some of these original vintage specs, so that probably won't happen.

A royal tan with the same construction as the 50th anniversary Sheraton would suffice!

Listen to Robben Ford's kalamazoo Riviera (shame that he replaced the frequensator though), sounds incredible.

Looks like a very faded sunburst (prefer royal tan, but still pretty) :

The problem there, is..."what" electronics should Epi use, to please "Us?" Everyone that changes pickups and electronics, quite often use different brand pickups, person to person...so, Epiphone couldn't please everyone, anyway.

You're right, but assume I want a black korina Explorer with Probucker-2 and -3, or some Gibson pickups. I think it could cost more or less as much as Brendon Small Thunderhorse. Personally, I could do it myself (some korina Explorers are still available in shops in Poland), but I'm afraid there's no easy way I can get Probuckers. I wish Epiphone gave us, the owners of Epi guitars, the possibility to buy these pickups oficially.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. That picture is from the cover of the 2004 Epiphone catalog.

04cat_zpsd213d443.jpg

Yes I posted again shortly after that it's probably just the Elitist thats no longer in production. Still hoping that we'll see a 50th anniversary Riviera though

How about a Les Paul Custom Florentine Electric Guitar like this...

17473_Les_Paul_Florentine_Sparkle_Top_CS300759full.jpg

Or better yet, a Scotty Moore Signature ES-295 like this...

19206_Scotty_Moore_1952_ES_295_2_25OF81full.jpg

The Scotty Moore signature would be my ideal guitar.

Beautiful colour and if the tone is anything like my Howard Roberts a real addition to my collection.

Beautiful colour and if the tone is anything like my Howard Roberts a real addition to my collection.

Epi made an ES295 for a while, but bulky hollowbodies are not good sellers these days, especially in a gold finish. How would a Scotty Moore signature differ from the ES295's they offered before? I can't see the point in a introducing a 295 again. Just not enough demand. Of the few guys that would want one, most already have one.

I've said this in a previous post about a year ago. But I'd like to see Epiphone do more signature models in counterpart to the Gibson ones. I would love to be able to afford a Duane Allman Les Paul, but I don't have 7 or 10 GRAND to spend. I would love to see some Thin Lizzy signature models, Didn't most or all of them play Les Pauls at one point? How about an Allen Collins Firebird or Explorer? Or a Steve Gaines Les Paul Custom? I could go on and on.

That could be interesting. Like:

- Jimmy Page, Peter Green, and Mike Bloomfield Les Pauls

- Leslie West and Mick Ralph LP Jr's

- Johnny Winter Firebird

- Eric Clapton and Otis Rush 335's

- Angus Young SG Std (big pickguard and Maestro)

- Carlos Santana, Tony Iommi, and Pete Townsend SG Specials

- Albert King, Lonnie Mack, and Jimi Hendrix Flying V's

All of these with Gibson or Duncan PU's. These guys defined the Gibson sound and really helped to popularize Gibsons.

- Eric Clapton and Otis Rush 335's

Since Otis Rush was the most famous Epiphone Riviera player, wouldn't it make more sense for Epiphone to release a signature Otis Rush Riviera? I.e a reissue of the same year 60's model with the correct horn shape.

But Otis Rush butchered the headstock, he cut the top of the headstock just above the inlay, presumably because he had the hardshell case for the 335 (riviera with the elongated headstock didnt fit in the case)

I would prefer If they didn't copy this particular feauture of his guitar

Or perhaps a Robben Ford signature Riviera, considering he recorded his latest album with It, the whole album is 100% riviera using only the neck pup.

I agree. It seems like a real obvious choice the folks at Epiphone should be making (wink, wink, nudge, nudge!)

Let's hope they're reading this! Come on guys, make a Scotty Moore signature! [thumbup]

i have a very crazy request on my wish list i would like to see a hybrid of SG and explorer to half of the body sg bottom to be explorer i think that would be pretty crazy and i would buy it

I don't think the SG-V mix went over very well, I doubt they'd try another Frankenstein guitar anytime soon.

Archived