Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 "The '59" Special Run

Red 333

Don does a nice job of rocking out that demo. Already have a plenty sweet J-45, otherwise this would probably go on the wish list. Wonder how the adjustable bridge is doing on sales of some of these re-issues? This one sounds geat!

Don does a nice job of rocking out that demo. Already have a plenty sweet J-45, otherwise this would probably go on the wish list. Wonder how the adjustable bridge is doing on sales of some of these re-issues? This one sounds geat!

D'oh! I didn't even notice the demo! Thanks, Dan.

Red 333

Weight is 4 lbs 10oz. Heavy no?

Sweetwater also has two J45 TVs in stock without pickguards that look gorgeous. One is 4 lbs 2oz and the other is 3 lbs 13 oz. I wish I had the dough - I would definitely talk to them about those, and be more inclined to buy sight unseen.

BBG Stateside the TV sells street price more like $2500ish new. Still very expensive guitar.

Its not cheap, but if I was saving for a new j45 over here youre talking 1800 or so .. So with the exchange at 1.5 dollars to a pound... Not so bad. I'd throw an extra 200 for that.I really like the look of that.

I'm assuming they don't sound like crap of course :)

I'm scratching my head on this one. Sure, it looks like a '59 J-45 with the optional adjustable saddle, but it also says it has a soft V neck profile, while every J-45 from this period that I've looked at has a moderate round C section profile.

Likewise, it says "1942 J-45 bracing", but in my experience, late-50's J's have thicker, unscalloped top bracing and thicker section, shorter back bracing.

Just adds a bit to the confusion about historical construction details, IMHO.

I'm scratching my head on this one. Sure, it looks like a '59 J-45 with the optional adjustable saddle, but it also says it has a soft V neck profile, while every J-45 from this period that I've looked at has a moderate round C section profile.

Likewise, it says "1942 J-45 bracing", but in my experience, late-50's J's have thicker, unscalloped top bracing and thicker section, shorter back bracing.

Glad you went ahead and saved me from posting yet another rant. Maybe Gibson should take a page from Epi's book and start labeling these kinds of guitars as "Inspired By".

Nick ,

I guess Mr.Ikemori's guitar was a one off ? we would have to analyze his personal guitar to see if infact it had 1942 style bracing .

JC

Nick ,

I guess Mr.Ikemori's guitar was a one off ? we would have to analyze his personal guitar to see if infact it had 1942 style bracing .

JC

I don't know if Gibson was building one-off J-45's in 1959. It is somewhat counterintuitive. If you're going to build a one-off Gibson in 1959, I doubt it would be a lowly J-45.

Gibson did not have a Custom Department in 1959 but I would think if they were building "one-ofs" during the decade a few would have popped up over the decades. Gibson was also very strict about not allowing employees to make their own guitars so that possibility is ruled out.

The blurb's description of the woods is a bit strange. As j45nick notes, the J-45 was not an upper end guitar and Gibson was not known for using their best quality woods to put them together.

Gibson did not have a Custom Department in 1959 but I would think if they were building "one-ofs" during the decade a few would have popped up over the decades. Gibson was also very strict about not allowing employees to make their own guitars so that possibility is ruled out.

The blurb's description of the woods is a bit strange. As j45nick notes, the J-45 was not an upper end guitar and Gibson was not known for using their best quality woods to put them together.

ZW,

ok how about changing the theory to gibson had leftover parts and built that particular 59 with a mix and match of parts ?

JC

ZW,

ok how about changing the theory to gibson had leftover parts and built that particular 59 with a mix and match of parts ?

Gibson got a good injection of cash in 1944 when CMI purchased them. They re-tooled and were thoroughly re-organized by the late 1940s. I just have trouble buying they built a guitar with a leftover V neck and early Banner-era bracing. Again, if they were in the habit of doing this somebody would have seen some examples show up. You do, as example, see the slapped together early Epiphone Texans with the leftover Epi French Heel necks and J-50 bodies pop up now and then.

And for some reason I cannot picture somebody walking into Gibson in 1959 and ordering a guitar with these features.

To me though some of the features on this guitar like the neck are things I like so it would in the end come down to how much I liked it and not how much I thought I was getting a "replica" of some guitar from a past catalog.

JC

ZW,

How about the theory that the proofreaders at Gibson and Sweetwater don't read very carefully (and maybe don't even know anything about the subject matter), which is why contrary specs are found on Gibson's site and all the internet retailers all the time.

Red 333

JC

By the late 1940s Gibson had been injected with cash (by CMI which purchased the company in 1944) expanded adding manufacturing floorspace and a new office building, retooled and thoroughly re-organized. I just do not see them slipping back to the way things were done during the Banner years. Gibson could be thrifty like with the first Epiphones Texans which were built with leftover Epi French Heel necks and J-50 bodies. But these do pop up for sale. If they were in the habit of throwing together J-45s from scrounged parts I would imagine a couple would have shown up.

I also just have trouble imagining somebody walking into Gibson in 1959 and asking for a J-45 built to those specs.

Did 1942 J-45s even have a V neck? My 1942 J-50 does not.

Archived