Gibson Brands Forums

SG's Are Underappreciated!....Or, Are They??!

charlie brown

The SG just rocks!!! [thumbup]

It has the best playability, it has awesome upper fret access, it's light, it's easy to handle, it has awesome tone. Then consider how reasonably priced this guitar is. You get so much more guitar for the dollar than any other guitar out there, IMHO. Is it any wonder the SG is Gibson's best selling model?

The SG is the first electric guitar I ever played, loved it from the start and I always will. I love my Les Paul guitars, but I have the most fun with my SG!

IMG_1051_zps9e9bc160.jpg

Beautiful guitars JM. I agree with you on the value. I told my friend that works at Sweetwater that out of all the guitars they sell the Gibson SG Standard is the best bang for the buck. I also liked the stained Les Pauls too. I had one for a while when I first started playing again a few years ago and loved it but Gibson did away with them. The SG Standard is amazing for it's price and they come with a nice case too. [thumbup]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I originaly was looking for a SG to accompany my Strat on Stage. I'm getting too old to hold my Les Paul and Telecaster for 4 hours plus a night. Once I played my Standard, I fell in love with it. When I first played it, I could hear every single note in a chord no matter which one I was playing. Bought it on the spot.

D

I originaly was looking for a SG to accompany my Strat on Stage. I'm getting too old to hold my Les Paul and Telecaster for 4 hours plus a night. Once I played my Standard, I fell in love with it. When I first played it, I could hear every single note in a chord no matter which one I was playing. Bought it on the spot.

D

Glad you love your SG! [thumbup] As to LP & Telecaster weight issues, try a neoprene bass strap!

I use one, for both my Tele, and my '80 Les Paul Custom (an "anvil"), and they feel wonderful. Much

lighter, due the springy "give," in the strap! Try one, I think you'd like it. [biggrin]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/neotech-mega-bass-strap

CB

Beautiful guitars JM. I agree with you on the value. I told my friend that works at Sweetwater that out of all the guitars they sell the Gibson SG Standard is the best bang for the buck. I also liked the stained Les Pauls too. I had one for a while when I first started playing again a few years ago and loved it but Gibson did away with them. The SG Standard is amazing for it's price and they come with a nice case too. [thumbup]

Thanks! [smile]

I've recently acquired my first Gibson SG, a 2006 Standard. After two Les Pauls and a 335, I've finally found the perfect Gibson for me. The weight is perfect, it's got a much brighter tone which I always prefer and to be honest there is nothing that screams rock and roll more than a cherry red SG. :)

null_zps0948f6fd.jpg

SG's are just SO Cool looking, and amazing sounding, and playing, guitars!

I just ordered (and, had it confirmed, that it's "on the way," by my dealer)

the new "Kirk Douglas" SG Custom...that just went up, on the Gibson board,

today. Awesome looking, and a reasonable (selling) price, too. I too,

don't "need" another SG..but, for that price, and my LOVE of SG's, "Why Not?!"

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Kirk-Douglas-SG.aspx

Before reading about this SG and him...I didn't even know who he was. [tongue]

So, it's not a "celebrity" endorsement thing, with me, at all! I just love

the look of it! [thumbup]

CB

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Kirk-Douglas-SG.aspx

CB

Grats!! CB if you like the look of something, then why the heck not get it I say. I'm in the same boat, I had no idea who he was until I just watched a song by his band The Roots on YouTube just now....I actually think they are pretty decent. [thumbup] Enjoy your new acquisition when she arrives. [biggrin]

CB

Killer guitar CB. I watched the cideo on the link and it rocks. At first when I read Kirk Douglas I thought it was the old actor! [laugh]

Killer guitar CB. I watched the cideo on the link and it rocks. At first when I read Kirk Douglas I thought it was the old actor! [laugh]

Thanks, VM...I'm sure I'll LOVE it! And, my reaction, to the name, was the same...

"Gee, I didn't even know Kirk Douglas (the actor) PLAYED guitar, much less and SG Custom!" [biggrin]

But, the musician Kirk, seems a pretty cool/nice fellow.

CB

Grats!! CB if you like the look of something, then why the heck not get it I say. I'm in the same boat, I had no idea who he was until I just watched a song by his band The Roots on YouTube just now....I actually think they are pretty decent. [thumbup] Enjoy your new acquisition when she arrives. [biggrin]

Thanks, Stevil...I'm sure I will LOVE it! [biggrin] And, I will...as always, post some photos,

when I get it home. Just not exactly sure, when that will be, at this point. "On it's way,"

could mean, by this weekend, next week, or even next month. So...??? But, you guys will be

among the first to know! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Thanks, Stevil...I'm sure I will LOVE it! [biggrin] And, I will...as always, post some photos,

when I get it home. Just not exactly sure, when that will be, at this point. "On it's way,"

could mean, by this weekend, next week, or even next month. So...??? But, you guys will be

among the first to know! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Look forward to the pics CB!! [biggrin][thumbup]

• 1 month later...

So, what IS IT?! Some complain about "neck heavy" and "unbalanced." It's odd, though, I've

never owned an SG that was like that! I've played some, but I wouldn't have purchased one!

I found examples, that were well balanced, before I spent my money. So, it can't be JUST

that, can it?!

I think many players hear and read that they are neck heavy and won't even try them. That's what I did until about five years ago. I live in a rural area where there are no Gibson retailers so hearing that was a turn off. But 13 years after I got my first guitar I tried an SG and fell in love.

The only time it's neck heavy for me is when I bend down to adjust settings on an effects pedal. Standing up it's no problem.

They also had the reputation of necks breaking easily back in the day. I don't know if people still think that.

Archived