Gibson Brands Forums

Pink Floyd

STEVIL

Thanks for sharing, hadn't seen that before. I often wonder what direction PF would have gone, had Syd stayed away from LSD.

We will never know unfortunatly...but one thing is for certain, Syd was key in defining the Pink Floyd sound and David Gilmour did a fantastic job of carrying the torch..Some argue what is better Syd era or David era...I say they were both great and why compare...one just ended tragically to soon.

This one reminds me of Roger Waters in the Wall...

Syd Barrett Dark Globe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEr6w7P44Nk

David Gilmours Tribute to Syd after Syd passed away..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO78_S3MkH4

I will probably be in the minority here, and I am prepared for severe backlash… [biggrin]

But IMO, Floyd improved by leaps and bounds with the arrival of Gilmour, and his ultimate "replacing" of Barrett. His vocals alone were an added plus… but then, there's also that small matter of his guitar playing.

I guess, for me, Barrett's Floyd was a bit too trippy, whereas Floyd became more accessible and listenable—while maintaining their experimental and pioneering spirit—with Gilmour. I don't think Barrett's music had a long shelf life—that is, I don't know how far the band would have gotten with him at the helm. At the very least, the addition of Gilmour to the line-up was a smart move. Maybe it was, by then, a necessary move—let alone a smart one.

B)

I believe that Syd must have been pre-disposed for some kind of mental disorder and his descent into deep psychosis was hastened and exacerbated by his over indulgence in LSD and other chemical hallucinogens.I believe that he also teetered on that very thin line between genius and madness and the acid caused him to loose his balance there. Syd may have carried on to create some incredible pieces if he hadn't gotten on the slippery slope of drug dependency.One song that I think really demonstartes his ability to write incredible melodies and lyrics is "Julia Dream" from PF's "Relics" album.That song has such an ethereal beauty to it and it has always been one of my 5 favourite Pink Floyd songs-the others being "Fearless""Echoes" and "One of These Days" from "Meddle" and "Comfortably Numb" which was a favourite until I had heard it for the 643,000th time on FM radio.

I'm sure that if Syd had abstained from acid or even used it in minimal quantities "to inspire creativity" such as Lennon McCartney had said that they had done, he would've continued writing progressively better songs as time went on-that unless his underlying mental condition surfaced.Then again even in that era there were meds that could treat psychosis and other mental afflictions,so he could have very well carried on a relatively normal life and we may never have heard of Gilmour-not as a member of Pink Floyd anyway.

I will probably be in the minority here, and I am prepared for severe backlash… [biggrin]

But IMO, Floyd improved by leaps and bounds with the arrival of Gilmour, and his ultimate "replacing" of Barrett. His vocals alone were an added plus… but then, there's also that small matter of his guitar playing.

I guess, for me, Barrett's Floyd was a bit too trippy, whereas Floyd became more accessible and listenable—while maintaining their experimental and pioneering spirit—with Gilmour. I don't think Barrett's music had a long shelf life—that is, I don't know how far the band would have gotten with him at the helm. At the very least, the addition of Gilmour to the line-up was a smart move. Maybe it was, by then, a necessary move—let alone a smart one.

B)

See I sway the other way, which is equal in it's stone throwing backlash....I can't stand Pink Floyd without Syd, they grew into some mammoth prog rock awfulness, that I absolutely loathe, life is too short to site around listening to a (what feels like) 24 hour album with no lyrics - I can't do it. I've never have been able to get through 1 side of a later PF album, but that's just me, to each their own etc. [flapper]

See I sway the other way, which is equal in it's stone throwing backlash....I can't stand Pink Floyd without Syd, they grew into some mammoth prog rock awfulness, that I absolutely loathe, life is too short to site around listening to a (what feels like) 24 hour album with no lyrics - I can't do it. I've never have been able to get through 1 side of a later PF album, but that's just me, to each their own etc. [flapper]

Fair enough!

The only other instance I can think of, where a band leader dropped-out due to dropping too much acid, compounded by mental illness, is the departure of Brian Wilson from The Beach Boys. However, in that case, the band could not maintain its greatness without him… and faded into irrelevance. On the other hand, Floyd thrived without Barrett. I attribute much of that to Roger Waters—who I always saw as the primary driving creative force behind Floyd, anyway.

Listen, I am not slamming Syd Barrett—sorry if it appears that I am. I respect that he was/is seen as a musical force to be reckoned with—for however brief a time. But I just never got it on a personal taste level.

Carry on!

No offence taken James, everyone likes what they like, I too only voiced my opinion, but it really only is that - an opinion [wink] . I agree with you about Roger Waters though, Syd may have come up with the PF name, but he certainly wasn't it's leader. The Beach Boys on the other hand were nothing without the creative input of BW, and I actually recall seeing a doco on them, when he was out of it, and the rest of the group at the end of the 60s were literally playing old folks homes to earn a crust.

Archived