Gibson Brands Forums

So, If Mahogany Is Getting Heavier.......

Murph

And the SG's aren't chambered............

Are they getting less neck heavy?

I'm thinking this will work out pretty good, eh?

My '79 Walnut is pretty bad. If you let go, it'll drop to about 4:00, (if you were looking at me from the crowd).

It's a constant job holding it up while you play, but that Boston dude has me wanting a new Standard, and I HAVE to write off a few grand a year for gear.........

I'm thinking heavy SG's are the answer.......

How heavy are they now?

Murph.

I'm not sure, but i'll go measure mine for you. ](*,)

It's actually pretty good! If i let go of the neck, it pretty much stays in the right place, but if i start walking around, which i never do without holding on to the neck by instinct(if i don't i always bang it on something confused-smiley-17433.gif), it'll drop to about 3:00 if your looking at me from the crowd.

Keep in mind though, the weight is one of the beauities of an SG. O:)

Man, what a sorry inventory. I thought Wildwood was a major player. I think they like the thinskin Fenders better. They have a deal with Fender, they can sell stuff other Fender Mom and Pop's can't sell. I wanted to buy a thinskin from my Fender dealer last year. He said I'd have to get it from them, he couldn't sell it. I didn't want to buy from an unknown dealer over a thousand miles away. So I'm not into Fender anymore.....

6.79 lb's ain't gonna get it.

Call me when they have a nine pound Standard...........

Murph.

I haven't had a problem with mine being neck-heavy either. I tried standing and leaning forward to just let it swing (probably a bad idea seeing as I lack straplocks), and it stayed up at around 1:00. I guess Gibson has done something in the past few years to make them a little more balanced.

That's good to hear. I'm done spending (tax wise) for the year, but will need to write off several grand next year, and I'm loosing the '79 Walnut to my son, so will need a backup. If I don't do an SG, I'll probably do a 335.

I've just always been a sucker for an SG.

Best to ya.

Murph.

But wouldn't the mahogany used in the neck also be getting heavier? So unless they're using old hidden away lighter wood for the new necks and the heavy stuff for the bodies, then you'll still have a neck-heavy guitar, just a heavier one.

That said, I scored one of the first few SG 67RI GOTW when they first came out and it was very very light.

But wouldn't the mahogany used in the neck also be getting heavier? So unless they're using old hidden away lighter wood for the new necks and the heavy stuff for the bodies' date=' then you'll still have a neck-heavy guitar, just a heavier one.

That said, I scored one of the first few SG 67RI GOTW when they first came out and it was very very light.[/quote']

But the Rosewood probably aint getting heavier. So the body might getting more heavier, once there is only mahogany on the body.

Anyway, my Gibson historic SG is waaaaaay heavier than my Epi Faded G-400 was. And the epiphone was totally neck-heavy. The body was like a plum.

This Gibson feels SOLID!

I thought that was the main reason for Cheese holes, then chambering? Heavy Mahogany.

I actually gigged my '79 for many years, you do get used to it. Now it's mainly a backup for the ES-339.

Best to ya.

Murph.

It could be. But Les Pauls have always been relatively heavy guitars. I thought it was a marketing - led decision to weight relieve and chamber, to bring them to a similar weight to other guitars. Would be interesting to check the weights of vintage and modern SGs.

That's a good idea. The only SG I own at the moment is a '79. and it's Walnut, so that's not gonna answer much, even if a bathroom scale would count...... Anyhow....

Here goes...... (drum roll.................)

On a set of bathroom scales, my '79 Walnut "The SG) weighs 7 pounds.

Murph.

Just thinking, if Gibson were weight relieving heavy mahogany 20 years ago, it's not getting heavier - it already got heavy !

Interesting way to spend Christmas eve discussing mahogany weight !

Happy Christmas - or should that be Happy Pagan Ritual to be more precise...

BTW, weighed my 1980 LP Custom today. 11 pound with no frets, stop bar, bridge, pickguard and strings. It's so heavy it distorts the space - time continuum....

Yea, well I'm not just weighing guitars on Christmas Eve. I'm drinking Corona's w/lime, listening to my daughter play piano, and NOT giving away any secrets. Like what I got her........

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived